- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Louis Vuitton Limited Edition Takashi Murakami Cerises Speedy 25 Handbag, 2005.
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 7 in (17.78 cm)Depth: 6 in (15.24 cm)Length: 10.5 in (26.67 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:Leather, Canvas, Brass Hardware.
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Banner Elk, NC
- Reference Number:Seller: KH0622/122 - MSNED1stDibs: LU1912216725962
Japanese contemporary artist Takashi Murakami may be famous among collectors for his psychedelic flowers and chaotic cartoons, but artists likely know him as the theorist behind the contemporary art movement he calls “Superflat.”
Partially inspired by the Pop art of Andy Warhol, in which celebrity culture and mundane mass-produced items became the focus of bright and colorful works that both celebrated and criticized consumerism, Murakami’s Superflat encompasses painting, sculpture, digital design and more to present a subversive look at consumerism but is also an effort to blend fine art and lowbrow culture. A multifaceted and remarkably influential artist as well as a compulsive art collector, Murakami has collaborated with brands such as Louis Vuitton, while one of his most famous Superflat works is the teddy bear on the cover of the Graduation album by American rapper Kanye West.
In 1993 Murakami earned his Ph.D. from Tokyo University of the Arts, where he was trained in nihonga, a style of painting that originated in the late 19th century by artists who worked to preserve and promote the conventions and processes associated with traditional Japanese art. While practicing nihonga, Murakami began to realize that his beliefs didn’t align with the tradition, so his art subsequently took on a satirical feel that embodied a critique of the movement. Before long, his style took a drastic turn, embracing otaku, a rising postwar cultural phenomenon among Japan’s younger crowd who loved anime and manga. (Otaku is also integral to Superflat.)
This is when Murakami’s most well-known character, Mr. DOB, was born. This anime-inspired icon, which Americans might interpret as a cross between Walt Disney’s Mickey Mouse and Lewis Carroll’s Cheshire Cat given its pronounced ears and broad and menacing grin, was part of the artist’s endeavor to elevate the otaku subculture but also to target mass consumerism. While Murakami conceived of Mr. DOB years ahead of his 2000-era Superflat theory, there is much common ground between the two. Not unlike his other creations, Murakami’s Mr. DOB is equal parts erotic, disturbing and cartoonish — an incisive mockery of the mingling of commerce and fine art so prevalent in Japanese popular culture.
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Banner Elk, NC
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Louis Vuitton x Murakami Limited Edition Monogram Multicolor Pochette Bag, 2003By Louis Vuitton, Takashi MurakamiLocated in Banner Elk, NCLouis Vuitton x Murakami Limited Edition Monogram Black Multicolor Pochette Bag, 2003. This incredibly rare and highly sought after piece of Louis Vuitton history became a worldwide ...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton x Murakami Limited Edition Monogram Multicolor Porte Tresor WalletBy Takashi Murakami, Louis VuittonLocated in Banner Elk, NCLouis Vuitton x Murakami Limited Edition Monogram Multicolor Porte Tresor Wallet, 2003. This highly sought after piece of Louis Vuitton history became a worldwide phenomenon when Jap...Category
Early 2000s French Wallets
- Louis Vuitton x Murakami Limited Edition Monogram Multicolor Boulogne Bag, 2004By Louis Vuitton, Takashi MurakamiLocated in Banner Elk, NCLouis Vuitton x Murakami Limited Edition Monogram Multicolor Boulogne Crossbody Bag, 2004. This incredibly rare and highly sought after piece of Louis Vuitton history became a worldw...Category
Early 2000s French Shoulder Bags
- Louis Vuitton Bay Rose Ballerine Poppy Speedy 30 Top Handle Bag, France 2016.By Louis VuittonLocated in Banner Elk, NCLimited Edition Louis Vuitton Monogram Bay Rose Ballerine Poppy Speedy 30 Top Handle Bag, France 2016. The iconic speedy was first introduced in the 1930's and was designed as an alt...Category
2010s American Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton Vintage French Luggage Company “Speedy 40" Monogram Handbag, 1980.By Louis VuittonLocated in Banner Elk, NCLouis Vuitton Vintage French Luggage Company “Speedy 40" Monogram Handbag, 1980. This iconic speedy was first introduced in the 1930's and was designed as an alternative for the larg...Category
1970s American Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton Amande EPI Vernis Leather Alma PM Top Handle Bag, 2014.By Louis VuittonLocated in Banner Elk, NCLouis Vuitton Amande EPI Vernis Leather Alma PM Top Handle Bag, 2014. The Louis Vuitton Alma is a classic closet staple, first introduced and inspired by the architect of the Art Dec...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags
- Amazing VERSACE Strapless Beaded Goddess Evening Wedding Bridal Gown Dress 42By VersaceLocated in Switzerland, CHINCREDIBLE VERSACE GRECIAN GODDESS WHITE SILK BEADED EVENING GOWN Gorgeous off-white evening gown inspired by the Grecian goddesses by VERSACE Strapless with sexy semi...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Wedding Dresses$4,500 Sale Price74% Off
- Fall 1997 CHRISTIAN DIOR by GALLIANO BLUE WOOL/SILK COAT Size Fr 42 - US 10By Christian DiorLocated in Montgomery, TXCHRISTIAN DIOR Christian Dior blue coat is made of wool. Two front pockets. Mink fur trim on collar, sleeves and pockets. Fastening with large silver buttons. Good condition. 1...Category
1990s French Coats$7,800 Sale Price20% Off
- Hermes Birkin 40cm Gold Togo Gold Power Birkin Tan Bag Z Stamp, 2021By HermèsLocated in New York, NYHermes Birkin 40cm Gold Togo Gold Power Birkin Bag Z Stamp, 2021 Just purchased from Hermes store; bag bears new 2021 interior Z Stamp. Brand New. Store fresh. Pristine Condition (wi...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- Christian Dior Bordeaux Monogram Canvas & Calfskin Leather Vintage Double SaddleBy Christian DiorLocated in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire"CHRISTIAN DIOR Bordeaux Monogram Canvas & Calfskin Leather Vintage Double Saddle Bag Serial Number: RU0022 Age (Circa): 2002 Accompanied By: Christian Dior Care Booklet Authenticit...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- HELMUT LANG Vintage black stretchy stocking knit mid heel knee high boots EU36.5By Helmut LangLocated in Hong Kong, NTHELMUT LANG Vintage black stretchy stocking knit mid heel knee high boots EU36.5 Brand: Helmut Lang Designer: Helmut Lang Material: Fabric Color: Black Pattern: Solid Closure: Stretc...Category
2010s Italian Boots
- Louis Vuitton Murakami White Multicolor Monogram Judy PM BagBy Louis Vuitton, Takashi MurakamiLocated in Montreal, QuebecFrom the Takashi Murakami Collection. This style is made of white canvas with multicolour monogram. Featuring brass hardware, natural leather finishes, cut out handles, chain shoulde...Category
Early 2000s French Shoulder Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON Takashi Murakami Limited Edition Multicolore Monogram Mirror NIBBy Louis Vuitton, Takashi MurakamiLocated in Thiensville, WILOUIS VUITTON Takashi Murakami Limited Edition Multicolore Monogram Mirror NIB Brand/Manufacturer: Louis Vuitton Designer: Takashi Murakami Style: Pocket mirror Color(s): Shades of...Category
Early 2000s Italian Pouches and Wristlets$320 Sale Price40% Off
- Louis Vuitton Murakami White Multicolor Monogram Keepall 45 (2008)By Louis Vuitton, Takashi MurakamiLocated in Montreal, QuebecThe Japanese pop artist Takashi Murakami worked to revamp the traditional monogram toile and give it a splash of colour. He created a new vibrant canvas with 33 colours on white canv...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON X Takashi Murakami 2003 Exotic Cherry Blossom LV Logo Hand BagBy Louis Vuitton, Takashi MurakamiLocated in Switzerland, CHExtremely Rare Louis Vuitton Evening Bag From a special limited edition designed by Marc Jacobs & Artist Takashi Murakami Details: A Louis Vuitton signature piece that will last yo...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Louis Vuitton Train Case, Louis Vuitton Boite Pharmacie, Louis Vuitton CaseBy Louis VuittonLocated in Saint-ouen, FRThis beauty case features monogram canvas and all brass fittings. All studs are marked Louis Vuitton as well as its leather handle. Interior: Beige coated canvas, adjustable leather ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Suitcases and Trunks
- Louis Vuitton Train Case, Louis Vuitton Boite Pharmacie, Louis Vuitton CaseBy Louis VuittonLocated in Saint-ouen, FRThis Louis Vuitton beauty case features monogram canvas and all brass fittings.It also has got a customized hand painted French flag. It is very unique. All studs are marked Louis Vu...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Suitcases and Trunks
Recently ViewedView More
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery