1970s Gucci Tote Bag
View Similar Items
1970s Gucci Tote Bag
About the Manufacturer
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- 2009 Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld Biarritz Grey Wool Tote BagBy ChanelLocated in Paris, FRChanel by Karl Lagerfeld grey wool “Paris-Biarritz” tote bag featuring a diamond quilted pattern, black patent leather details, leather handles, a top zip opening, silver-tone hardwa...Category
Early 2000s French Tote Bags
- Celine Brown Monogram Logo Hand BagBy CelineLocated in Paris, FRCeline brown leather and canvas monogram hand bag featuring two leather top handles, gold-tone hardware, brown leather details, a top zip fastening, an all-over print and a front log...Category
1980s French Tote Bags
- Chanel Black Leather Shoulder Tote BagBy ChanelLocated in Paris, FRChanel black patent leather shoulder tote bag featuring a perforated logo pattern, shoulder chain handles, silver tone hardware, an inside detachable pocket by a detachable hook. Ci...Category
Early 2000s French Tote Bags
- Chanel Large Black Tote BagBy ChanelLocated in Paris, FRChanel black printed nylon tote bag featuring a diamond ivory pattern, red lining, long logo zipped pockets. Circa 1997-1999 Made in France In good vintage condition. Length: 13.4in...Category
1990s French Tote Bags
- Prada Large Gold Tone Leather Tote BagBy PradaLocated in Paris, FRPrada gold-tone large leather tote bag featuring a front logo, natural handles and natural drawstring fastening, a soft lamb leather foiled finish, a magnetic fastening, inside usual Prada monogram lining. 100% Leather In good vintage condition. Made in Italy. Length:13.7in. (35cm) Height: 15.7in (40cm) Width: 4.3in. (11cm) We guarantee you will receive this iconic bag...Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Prada 90s Grey Nylon Backpack BagBy Miuccia Prada, PradaLocated in Paris, FRPrada Grey nylon Tessuto triangle logo drawstring backpack bag featuring enamel triangle logo, single top handle, two adjustable shoulder straps, foldover top, buckle-strap fastening...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton Full Marine Monogram Canvas Pallas MM BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Designer bags are ideal companions for ample occasions! Here we have a fashion-meets-functionality piece crafted with precision. It has been equipped with a well-sized interior that ...Category
2010s French Tote Bags
- Louis Vuitton Black Epi Leather Noir Saint Jacques Zip Tote Bag 863326By Louis VuittonLocated in Dix hills, NYGOOD CONDITION (7/10 or B) Retail $1400 (Outside) Minor rub partially (Bottom) Minor rub partially (zipper) Zipper works properly Width (inch) : 10.2 inch(approx) Width (cm) : ...Category
20th Century Tote Bags
- Louis Vuitton Monogram Neverfull PM Tote Small 859306By Louis VuittonLocated in Dix hills, NYWidth (inch) : 11.4 inch(approx) Width (cm) : 29 cm(approx) Height (inch) : 8.66 inch(approx) Height (cm) : 22 cm(approx) Depth (inch) : 5.11 inch(approx) Depth (cm) : 13 cm(approx) ...Category
20th Century Tote Bags
- Chanel Black Quilted Patent Medallion Zip Tote GHW 3CK0418By ChanelLocated in Dix hills, NYChanel Black Quilted Patent Medallion Zip Tote GHW 3CK0418 Date Code/Serial Number: 7664338 Made In: France Measurements: Length: 12" Width: 6" Height: 9.5 " Handle Drop: 6.25"...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Tote Bags
- Hermes Birkin 30 Vert Fonce Matte Porosus Crocodile Bag Gold HardwareBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers an exquisite Hermes Birkin 30 bag is featured in in lush deep Vert Fonce Porosus Crocodile. This exotic Hermes Birkin bag in matte Porosus crocodile skin has magni...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- Dior Tri Color Leather Large Lady Dior Pocket ToteBy Christian DiorLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2The Lady Dior tote is a Dior creation that has gained recognition worldwide and is today a coveted bag that every fashionista craves to possess. This tricolored tote has been crafted...Category
2010s Italian Tote Bags
Recently ViewedView All
Explore a Century of Gucci Fashion in London
The iconic Italian label’s traveling exhibition has just arrived in London.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.