The Garden Party Hermes Wicker basket bag
View Similar Items
The Garden Party Hermes Wicker basket bag
About the Manufacturer
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
Good design never goes out of style. Find a variety of vintage Hermès handbags, day dresses, shoes and more on 1stDibs.
- Hermes Birkin Cargo 25 Nata Toile Goeland 25 Swift Leather Trim Limited EditionBy HermèsLocated in Delray Beach, FLHermes Cargo Birkin The Cargo Birkin is a limited edition release. This is a Birkin reserved for VIP Clients only. Very difficult to obtain. Size is 25cm Guaranteed authentic Hermes ...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags
- Hermès BLACK SWIFT LEATHER & LETTRES AU CARRÉ TOILE DE CAMP PLUME 28By HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHermès BLACK SWIFT LEATHER & LETTRES AU CARRÉ TOILE DE CAMP PLUME 28 CONDITION NOTES The exterior is in excellent condition with light signs of use. The interior is in excellent con...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags$7,604Free Shipping
- Hermès CRAIE TOGO LEATHER BIRKIN 30CM RETOURNEBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHermès CRAIE TOGO LEATHER BIRKIN 30CM RETOURNE CONDITION NOTES The exterior is in exceptional condition with minimal signs of use. The interior is in ex...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags$35,639Free Shipping
- HERMES Birkin 25 Tan Brown Lizard Exotic Skin Palladium Top Handle Tote BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2011 Collection Lizard Leather Lining Palladium Hardware Measures 9.75" W x 7.5" H x 5" D Handle Drop 2" Includes Clochette, Padlock, Keys, Rain C...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Top Handle Bags$125,944 Sale Price24% OffFree Shipping
- Hermes Mira Ganges Tote Rainbow Toile TallBy HermèsLocated in NY, NYCondition: Good. Light odor in interior. Discoloration along opening, slight darkening on base corners, moderate wear, darkening and watermarks on handles and interior opening trim. ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Tote Bags
- Hermes Birkin 25cm Craie Rose Gold Hardware Togo Off White Z Stamp, 2021By HermèsLocated in New York, NYHermes Birkin 25cm Craie Rose Gold Hardware Togo Off White Z Stamp, 2021 Don't miss this most coveted Craie with Rose Gold Baby Birkin! It is sooo p...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery