Elasa Peretti, Terracotta Pair Candleholders "Bone" for Tiffany & Co.
About the Item
- Creator:Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co. (Artist)
- Dimensions:Height: 14 in (35.56 cm)Width: 4.5 in (11.43 cm)Depth: 11 in (27.94 cm)
- Style:Post-Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:Terracotta,Cast
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:n/a
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Seems on candleholder had more exposure to sun and ware , because shows darker tone of patina and also more wax stains and drops shadows , also one has ink mark and one impressed stamp .
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU808934407402
Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.
In an era of social upheaval, venerable Tiffany & Co. designer Elsa Peretti reimagined diamonds as jewelry that working women bought for themselves rather than receiving it from a suitor.
By the time the Italian-born Peretti (1940–2021) arrived in New York City, she’d already studied design in Rome, worked for a Milanese architect and taught Italian, French and skiing in Switzerland. She settled on interior design as her potential career path but then chose an altogether different route: modeling. Peretti modeled in Barcelona, Spain, and on the advice of Wilhelmina Cooper — a former model who’d by then founded Wilhelmina Modeling Agency — moved to Manhattan in 1968. When she relocated, Peretti was inspired to pick up jewelry design.
After modeling for designer Halston, the undisputed fashion king of Studio 54, Peretti became his close friend and collaborator, eventually creating jewelry and teardrop-shaped perfume bottles for him. By way of her association with Halston, Peretti took to the disco scene, flourishing in a social circle that included artist Andy Warhol and fashion designer Giorgio di Sant’Angelo.
It wasn’t long before models on di Sant’Angelo’s runway were donning two-inch sterling-silver vases, complete with a rose stem, suspended on leather thongs around their necks. The accessory was Peretti’s inaugural piece of jewelry — she designed it in 1969 after finding a flower vase at a flea market. It was hardly the only time that Peretti found motifs in nature and in organic forms. In the years that followed, her Bean pendant necklace, Starfish earrings and other sensuous accessories would draw on human emotion as well as the natural world around her. Each evocative and wholly versatile design is universally adored decades later, and each was made for a storied American jewelry house with which Peretti would be associated for nearly 50 years.
It was Halston who introduced Peretti to Tiffany & Co. She had her own boutique at Bloomingdale’s by 1972, and her partnership with the firm, which signed the venturesome and unorthodox designer to an exclusive contract in 1974, would cement her place in the lofty annals of jewelry legend. Peretti’s simple but sophisticated designs — the Teardrop collection, her minimalist Diamonds by the Yard necklace and Open Heart ring, to name a few — elevated sterling silver, previously considered unsuitable for fine jewelry, and created an enthusiastic young audience for Tiffany’s offerings. In 1977, Peretti’s designs earned the jewelry house more than $6 million. (In some years, her work has accounted for 10 percent of the company’s sales.)
In 2012, Peretti signed a 20-year, $47.3 million contract with Tiffany & Co., but she passed away in 2021, at age 80. Today, her designs are in the permanent collections of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City and the British Museum.
Find an exquisite collection of Elsa Peretti jewelry today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Yehia Yemini Silver Plate Candleholder, Bezalel School, Jerusalem SignedBy Yehia YeminiLocated in Los Angeles, CAVery nice candleholder by the very well known silversmith and jeweler Yehia Yemini ( Yihye Yemini, 1896-1983) Bezalel School Jerusalem .This candleholder made in Star of David shape ...Category
Vintage 1980s Israeli Post-Modern CandlesticksMaterials
- Ettore Sottsass Candelstick / Candle Holder, Silver Plate for Swid PowellBy Swid Powell, Ettore SottsassLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis is one icon of Post Modern design by the well known architect Ettore Sottsass.Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Post-Modern Sheffield and SilverplateMaterials
- Salviati Murano Glass, Candle Holder /Centerpiece , MarkedBy SalviatiLocated in Los Angeles, CABeautiful glass holder made by Salviati, marked and dated 1998.Category
1990s Post-Modern GlassMaterials
- Tiffany & Co., Sterling Silver Ball/Sphere/Jewelry Box, Modern, MarkedBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Los Angeles, CAVery pretty sterling silver Tiffany & Co. jewelry ball, box, number 35378 Weighted, 7.Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Sterling SilverMaterials
- Susi Singer pair of terracotta figures, sculptures, signed.By Susi SingerLocated in Los Angeles, CAGreat sample of the very well known jewish artist Susi Selma Singer.We think these pieces were made in USA after she emigrated from Austria her native country.Category
Vintage 1950s American Modern SculpturesMaterials
- Erna Kopriva Pottery Sculpture/Terracotta, Figure for Wiener Werkstatte, "SalzfassBy Wiener Werkstätte, Erna KoprivaLocated in Los Angeles, CAGreat sample of the well known Austrian artist, Erna Kopriva. She was assistant of Joseph Hoffman and worked at Wiener Werkstatte . Similar pieces are now...Category
Vintage 1920s Austrian Art Nouveau PotteryMaterials
- Crystel "Bone" Series Candlesticks Designed by Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & CoBy Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.Located in Doraville, GAA pair of hand crafted "Bone" series crystel candlesticks designed by Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Company in the mid 1980's. Elsa Peretti (1940 - 2021) was an Italian fashion model...Category
Vintage 1980s Belgian Minimalist CandlesticksMaterials
- Pottery "Bone" Series Candlesticks Designed by Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & CoBy Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.Located in Doraville, GAA pair of handcrafted "Bone" series black glazed pottery candlesticks designed by Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Company in the mid 1980s. Elsa Peretti (1940 - 2021) was an Italian fa...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Minimalist CandlesticksMaterials
- Pair of Modernist Sterling Candle Holders by Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.By Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.Located in New York, NYThis stunning pair of Modernist sterling silver candle holders were realized by Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co, circa 1985. They feature circular bodies with curved raised sides and a sinuously curved depression on end of each candleholder. The center of each piece offers a cylindrical candle holder...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern CandlesticksMaterials
- Pair of Terracotta Kneeling Lion Candleholders, France, 1950sBy Elisabeth AndrousovLocated in New York, NYTerracotta figurines depicting two kneeling lions fitted with two candleholders each. Signed “Elisabeth Androusov” on the underside.Category
Vintage 1950s French Rustic More Candle HoldersMaterials
- Candleholder Borek Sipek for DriadeBy B. SipekLocated in Bruxelles, BESilver plated metal candleholder “Simon” by Borek Sipek for Driade in the eighties. You can also use the center like a flower vase.Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Post-Modern CenterpiecesMaterials
- Pair of Gilt Bronze Candleholders by Pierre Casenove for FondicaBy Fondica, Pierre CasenoveLocated in East Hampton, NYExtremely heavy gilt bronze, these French candlesticks are highly collectible. These are quite rare and signed.Category
Vintage 1980s French Post-Modern CandlesticksMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery