Midcentury Harry Bertoia Sonambient Sculpture
About the Item
- Creator:Harry Bertoia (Sculptor)
- Dimensions:Height: 14 in (35.56 cm)Width: 6 in (15.24 cm)Depth: 3 in (7.62 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:BROOKLYN, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1793210184831
Sculptor, furniture and jewelry designer, graphic artist and metalsmith, Harry Bertoia was one of the great cross-disciplinarians of 20th-century art and design and a central figure in American modernism. Among furniture aficionados he is known for the wire-lattice Diamond chair (and its variants such as the tall-backed Bird chair) designed for Knoll Inc. and first released in 1952. As an artist, Bertoia is revered for a style that was his alone. Bertoia’s metal sculptures are by turns expressive and austere, powerful and subtle, intimate in scale and monumental. All embody a tension between the intricacy and precision of Bertoia’s forms and the raw strength of his materials: steel, brass, bronze and copper.
Fortune seemed to guide Bertoia’s artistic development. Born in northeastern Italy, Bertoia immigrated to the United States at age 15, joining an older brother in Detroit. He studied drawing and metalworking in the gifted student program at Cass Technical High School. Recognition led to awards that culminated, in 1937, in a teaching scholarship to attend the Cranbrook Academy of Art in suburban Bloomfield Hills, one of the great crucibles of modernism in America. There, Bertoia made friendships — with architect Eero Saarinen, designers Charles and Ray Eames and Florence Schust Knoll and others — that shaped the course of his life. He taught metalworking at Cranbrook, and when materials rationing during World War II limited the availability of metals, Bertoia focused on jewelry design. He also experimented with monotype printmaking, and 19 of his earliest efforts were bought by the Guggenheim Museum.
In 1943, he left Cranbrook to work in California with the Eameses, helping them develop their now-famed plywood furniture. (Bertoia received scant credit.) Late in that decade, Florence and Hans Knoll persuaded him to move east and join Knoll Inc. His chairs became, and remain, perennial bestsellers. Royalties allowed Bertoia to devote himself full-time to metal sculpture, a medium he began to explore in earnest in 1947.
By the early 1950s Bertoia was receiving commissions for large-scale works from architects — the first came via Saarinen — as he refined his aesthetic vocabulary into two distinct skeins. One comprises his “sounding sculptures” — gongs and “Sonambient” groupings of rods that strike together and chime when touched by hand or by the wind. The other genre encompasses Bertoia’s naturalistic works: abstract sculptures that suggest bushes, flower petals, leaves, dandelions or sprays of grass. As you will see on these pages, Harry Bertoia was truly unique; his art and designs manifest a wholly singular combination of delicacy and strength.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: BROOKLYN, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Midcentury Chrome Bar Stools by Harry Bertoia for KnollBy Harry Bertoia, KnollLocated in BROOKLYN, NYMid century classic and iconic Bertoia for Knoll stools in a high chrome finish. Architectural design, clean original condition, ready to use. Very solid and sturdy showing no loss t...Category
Early 2000s American Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
Steel, Stainless Steel, Chrome
- Mid-Century Slat Bench by Harry Bertoia for KnollBy Harry Bertoia, KnollLocated in BROOKLYN, NYWonderful mid-century slat bench or coffee table by Harry Bertoia for Knoll, 1950s. Stained ash. Early original Bowtie Label (Knoll Associates) that predates Knoll International. Has...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- Midcentury Colette Gueden Plant Stand SculptureBy Primavera, Colette GuedenLocated in BROOKLYN, NYVery rare Colette Gueden plant stand. France 1940s for Primavera. Made of steel and has recently been powder coated while keeping its metal unrestored. This beautiful sculpture is re...Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Midcentury Solid Blonde Maple Sculptured Wall Mirror by Heywood WakefieldBy Heywood-Wakefield Co.Located in BROOKLYN, NYGreat Mid-Century Modern wall mirror solid maple blonde finish with rounded shape. Very nicely made mirror by Heywood Wakefield. Made in USA. Located in Brooklyn NYC. Measures 52”...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
- Adorable Mid-Century Ceramic Children by Lisa LarsonBy GustavsbergLocated in BROOKLYN, NYIn wonderful condition. This adorable ceramic set is designed by Lisa Larsen for Gustavsberg, Sweden.Category
Vintage 1960s Swedish Scandinavian Modern CeramicsMaterials
- Midcentury Table LampBy Paul Evans, Philip and Kelvin LaVerneLocated in BROOKLYN, NYFor your consideration is this stunning brass table lamp. Made of solid brass having a brutalist craft modern style. A beautiful and functional work of art. Designed by Yupadee Cy...Category
2010s American Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Sonambient Sculpture by Harry BertoiaBy Harry BertoiaLocated in Georges Mills, NHRare Harry Bertoia sonambient sculpture. Pair of off-axis bronze rod arrays silver soldered onto a solid bronze base, circa 1967. Sold with a certificate of authenticity by the Hary ...Category
Vintage 1960s North American Mid-Century Modern Mobiles and Kinetic Scul...Materials
Gold Plate, Brass, Steel
- Sonambient Rods Sculpture by Harry BertoiaBy Harry BertoiaLocated in New York, NYA sonambient rods sculpture by Harry Bertoia (1915-1978). A desirable size for display in the home and a typically wonderful sound quality.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Abstract SculpturesMaterials
- Harry Bertoia Two Column Sonambient SculptureBy Harry BertoiaLocated in New York, NYAn atypical form for Beartoia's (1915-1978) sonambients given it's split in the centre of the rods. A desirable size for display in the home and a typically wonderful sound quality.Category
Vintage 1960s American Industrial Abstract SculpturesMaterials
- Harry Bertoia Gold Plated Bronze Sonambient SculptureBy Harry BertoiaLocated in St. Louis, MOHarry Bertoia gold plated bronze Sonambient sculpture, diagonal double tonal, circa 1965. Two groupings of thin rods at different angles on poured slab of bronze. Purchased from estate of the original owner. Sold with a “Certificate of Authenticity” from the Harry Bertoia foundation, along with a copy of the Knoll letter...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Mobiles and Kinetic SculpturesMaterials
- Harry Bertoia Sonambient Sculpture Sound Record CollectionBy Harry BertoiaLocated in Cincinnati, OHA set of ten sealed unplayed Sonambient LP records by Harry Bertoia of his sound sculptures these ten from the period albums trace his different handcrafted sculptures making the sou...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Historical MemorabiliaMaterials
- Sonambient Cattails Sound Sculpture in the Manner of Harry BertoiaBy Harry BertoiaLocated in San Pedro Garza Garcia, Nuevo LeonVintage Sonambient cattails sound sculpture in the manner of Harry Bertoia circa 1970. It is in great vintage condition with patina throughout, four rows of four copper colored sound...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Figurative SculpturesMaterials