Monumental Vessel by Bruno Gambone
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Monumental Vessel by Bruno Gambone
- CreatorBruno Gambone (Artist)
- DimensionsHeight: 24 in (60.96 cm)Width: 4.25 in (10.8 cm)Length: 24 in (60.96 cm)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1950-1959
- ConditionContact Dealer.
- Seller LocationLos Angeles, CA
- Reference NumberSeller: C13-PDF2311stDibs: LU794811870923
About the Artist
Known for his prolific mid-century works, Italian artist Bruno Gambone is regarded as one of the most influential figures in ceramics. Born in 1936 in Vietri sul Mare, Gambone was introduced to the world of ceramics at the age of 14 while he worked in the Florence studio of his father, renowned ceramist Guido Gambone.
Toward the end of the 1950s, Gambone left his father’s studio to work at Italian artist Andrea D’Arienzo’s workshop, where he explored other disciplines such as canvas painting and textile decoration. He became committed to painting and exhibited at Florence’s La Strozzina in 1959.
In 1963, Gambone left Italy for the United States. He lived in New York City during a fertile era for creative expression — a time marked by pivotal artistic movements such as Pop art and Abstract Expressionism. Gambone made numerous friends and moved in the same circles as iconic American artists Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein and Robert Rauschenberg. The Italian native learned more about a range of fields such as sculpture and theater. However, after five years, he returned to his homeland to live in Milan.
While in Milan, Gambone experimented with jewelry design for a brief period. But following his father’s death in 1969, Gambone returned to Florence to run his father’s studio, shifting his attention back toward ceramics.
Throughout the 1970s, Gambone created table lamps, vases, bowls and sculptures, including a series of ceramic animals. He began work in 1972 on what would become his celebrated “Fantastic Animals” series — initially a minimalist collection of stoneware fish, lions, snakes and other creatures characterized by sharp-edged geometric forms.
Gambone showcased his ceramic works at the 1972 Venice Biennale and the Milan Triennale in 1973. The artist received awards from the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Museum of Contemporary Art of San Diego at La Jolla and other institutions.
- Gaetano Pesce Amazonia vaseBy Gaetano PesceLocated in Los Angeles, CAGaetano Pesce Amazonia vase. Measure: 36.2 x 30.48 x 30.48 cm.Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
ResinPrice Upon Request
- Table by Anton RosenBy Anton RosenLocated in Los Angeles, CABirch, marble and ebonized wood side table by Danish Architect Anton Rosen.Category
Antique 19th Century Danish Side TablesMaterials
MarblePrice Upon Request
- Carved Object by Jon BrooksBy Jon BrooksLocated in Los Angeles, CAA carved wood container with carved wood oblong object within, by Jon Brooks (b.1944).Category
Vintage 1970s American Abstract SculpturesMaterials
Walnut, Beech, Elm, RosewoodPrice Upon Request
- Lounge Chair by Peter HvidtBy Peter HvidtLocated in Los Angeles, CAPeter Hvidt lounge chair upholstered in fabric and elm wood, circa 1945, DenmarkCategory
Mid-20th Century Danish Lounge ChairsMaterials
ElmPrice Upon Request
- Seagull Armchair by Gosta BergBy Gosta BergLocated in Los Angeles, CAArmchair and ottoman upholstered in beige suede with steel base.Category
Vintage 1950s Danish ArmchairsMaterials
MetalPrice Upon Request
- Sofa by Erik JorgensenBy Erik Ole JørgensenLocated in Los Angeles, CARed leather sofa with tufted seat and back, and a wood base.Category
Vintage 1960s Danish SofasMaterials
Wood, LeatherPrice Upon Request
- Bruno Gambone VaseBy Bruno GamboneLocated in New York, NYUnique bottle-form case by Bruno Gambone. Large-scale, stoneware bottle-form sculpture/vase with incised line decoration to front and back. Off-white matte glaze with brown lip. Art...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Mid-Century Modern Bottles$7,500
- Bruno Gambone Monumental Black Greige Ceramic Vase Pitcher Italy 1980sBy Bruno GamboneLocated in Munich, DEBruno Gambone huge ceramic vase Pitcher in black and greige glazed stoneware, Italy 1980s, signed Gambone.Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Mid-Century Modern PitchersMaterials
- Bronze Vases by Bruno Gambone, Italy, 1960sBy Bruno GamboneLocated in Rotterdam, NLSculptural bronze vases by Bruno Gambone (1936 -2021), Italy 1970s. Beautiful quadrangular shaped vases with nicely tapered neck and elegant tulip edges, made in cast bronze with a n...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Unique Bottle Form Vase by Bruno GamboneBy Bruno GamboneLocated in New York, NYLarge scale stoneware bottle form sculpture/vase with incised line decoration to front and back faces. Off-white matte glaze with brown lip. Artist signed at base.Category
Vintage 1980s Italian VasesMaterials
- Modernist Glazed Stoneware Vase by Bruno GamboneBy Bruno GamboneLocated in Brooklyn, NYItalian Modern stoneware vase by Bruno Gambone with rectangular base supporting an elegant, tapered neck and flared aperture (ca. late 1950s, Italy). White glaze with specks of turqu...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Bruno Gambone Pitcher Set of 3By Bruno GamboneLocated in Munich, DEBruno Gambone ceramic pitcher and vase with stripes in light brown glazed stoneware, Italy 1980s, signed Gambone.Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
Stoneware$2,642 / set
Recently ViewedView More
JF Chen Moves Stools Out of the Corner and into the Spotlight
In Los Angeles, dealer Joel Chen gives the often clever and always versatile seats some long-overdue attention.
In L.A., Gallerist JF Chen Has Long Championed Eclectic Blue-Chip Design
Now working alongside his daughter Bianca, dealer Joel Chen has presented a most covetable array of antiques, art and contemporary creations for more than 40 years.