19th Century Meissen Hand-Painted Porcelain Hen and Chicks Lidded Tureen

Buyer Protection Guaranteed

About

This fine porcelain tureen was made by Germany's renowned Meissen Porcelain Manufactory and consists of two pieces: An ovoid base and corresponding lid. The piece is naturalistically modeled and been made in the form of a plump hen setting on her brood of three small chicks which peek out from beneath her plumage. The hen's feathers, head and beak are crisply detailed and have been meticulously hand-painted in shades of rust, lavender, brown and gray, as have the heads and beaks of her chicks.

The tureen displays beautifully and is in excellent condition with no damage or restoration. The base bears the underglaze cobalt blue crossed swords Meissen mark and is incised in script under the glaze with the number "354." The piece is also impressed with the number "29" which is also under the glaze, and hand-painted with the overglaze number "4".

The piece stands 6.5" tall as measured to the highest point of the lid and is 8.5" in length and 6" wide. The tureen weighs in at 3 lbs 2 oz.

This outstanding example would be a wonderful addition to a collection of Meissen or works equally well as a Stand alone decorative accent or serving piece.

Details

  • Condition
    Excellent
  • Dimensions
    6.5 in. H x 6 in. W x 8.5 in. D
    17 cm H x 15 cm W x 22 cm D
  • Seller Location
    Cincinnati, OH
  • Number of Items
    1
  • Reference Number
    LU119122170632

About Meissen Porcelain (Manufacturer)

Meissen Porcelain (Staatliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Meissen) is one of the preeminent porcelain factories in Europe and was the first to produce true porcelain outside of Asia. It was established in 1710 under the auspices of King Augustus II “the Strong” of Saxony-Poland (1670–1733), a keen collector of Asian ceramics, particularly Ming porcelain. In pursuing his passion, which he termed his “maladie de porcelaine,” Augustus spent vast sums, amassing some 20,000 pieces of Japanese and Chinese ceramics. These, along with examples of early Meissen, comprise the Porzellansammlung, or porcelain collection, of the Zwinger Palace, in Dresden.

The king was determined, however, to free the European market from its dependence on Asian imports and to give European artisans the freedom to create their own porcelain designs. To this end, he charged the scientist Ehrenfried Walther von Tschirnhaus and aspiring alchemist Johann Friedrich Böttger with the task of using local materials to produce true, hard-paste porcelain (as opposed to the soft-paste variety European ceramists in the Netherlands, Germany, France, Italy and Spain had been producing since the late Renaissance). In 1709, the pair succeeded in doing just that, employing kaolin, or “china clay.” A year later, the Meissen factory was born.

In its first decades, Meissen mostly looked to Asian models, producing wares based on Japanese Kakiemon ceramics and pieces with Chinese-inflected decorations, called chinoiseries. During the 1720s its painters drew inspiration from the works of Watteau, and the scenes of courtly life, fruits and flowers that adorned fashionable textiles and wallpaper. It was in this period that Meissen introduced its famous cobalt-blue crossed swords logo—derived from the arms of the Elector of Saxony as Arch-Marshal of the Holy Roman Empire—to distinguish its products from those of competing factories that were beginning to spring up around Europe.

By the 1730s, Meissen’s modelers and decorators had mastered the style of Asian ceramics, and Augustus encouraged them to develop a new, original aesthetic. The factory’s director, Count Heinrich von Brühl, used Johann Wilhelm Weinmann’s botanical drawings as the basis for a new line of wares with European-style surface decoration. The Blue Onion pattern (Zwiebelmuster), first produced in 1739, melded Asian and European influences, closely following patterns used in Chinese underglaze-blue porcelain, but replacing exotic flora and fruits with Western varieties (likely peaches and pomegranates, not onions) along with peonies and asters.

During the same period, head modeler Joachim Kändler (1706–75) began crafting delicate porcelain figures derived from the Italian commedia dell’arte. Often used as centerpieces on banquet tables and decorated to reflect the latest fashions in courtly dress for men and women, these figurines, they were popular in their day, and are still considered among of Meissen’s most iconic creations. Kändler also created the Swan Service, which, with its complex low-relief surface design and minimal decoration is considered a masterpiece of Baroque ceramics.

The rise of Neoclassicism in the latter half of the 18th century forced Meissen to change artistic direction and begin producing monumental vases, clocks, chandeliers and candelabra. In the 20th century, Meissen added to its 18th-century repertoire decidedly modern designs, including ones in the Art Nouveau style. The 1920s saw the introduction of numerous animal figures, such as the popular sea otter (Fischotter), which graced an East German postage stamp in the 1960s. Starting in 1933, artistic freedom was limited at the factory under the Nazi regime, and after World War II, when the region became part of East Germany, it struggled to reconcile its elite past with the values of the Communist government. In 1969, however, new artistic director Karl Petermann reintroduced the early designs and fostered a new degree of artistic license. Meissen became one of the few companies to prosper in East Germany.

Owned by the State of Saxony since reunification, in 1990, Meissen continues to produce its classic designs together with new ones developed collaboratively with artists from all over the world. In addition, through its artCAMPUS program, the factory has invited distinguished ceramic artists, such as Chris Antemann and Arlene Shechet, to work in its studios in collaboration with its skilled modelers and painters. The resulting works of contemporary sculpture are inspired by Meissen’s rich and complex legacy.

About the Seller

1stdibs seller since 2015

Typical response time: 1 hour

Located in Cincinnati, OH

More from this Seller

19th Century Royal Vienna Porcelain Hand-Painted Wagner Cabinet Plate "Marchen"
19th Century Royal Vienna Porcelain Hand-Painted W...
Wagner
Porcelain
This beautifully decorated 19th century hand-painted Royal Vienna Porcelain cabinet plate is titled Märchen which translates from German as Fairy Tale. The piece has been signed by Wagn...
Early 19th Century English Derby Imari Japan Pattern Plates
Early 19th Century English Derby Imari Japan Patte...
Unknown
These English porcelain plates are decorated in an ornate Imari pattern and were made by Derby at their Nottingham Road factory, which was in operation from 1756-1848. The manufactory w...
19th Century Belleek Footed Shell Porcelain Teapot, Second Period
19th Century Belleek Footed Shell Porcelain Teapot...
Belleek Pottery Ltd.
Porcelain
This rare late 19th century footed porcelain teapot was made by Belleek of Ireland in the shell pattern. The lid and body of the piece feature a series of moulded relief scallop shells ...
Royal Worcester James Stinton Cased Coffee Set with Enameled Sterling Spoons
Royal Worcester James Stinton Cased Coffee Set wit...
Royal Worcester, James Stinton
Sterling Silver, Enamel, Porcelain
This English porcelain coffee set was manufactured by Royal Worcester and consists of six porcelain cups and six saucers along with six hand-painted enameled sterling silver spoons. The...
Paul Jean Milet Sevres Porcelain Hinged Dresser Box with Brass Mounts
Paul Jean Milet Sevres Porcelain Hinged Dresser Bo...
Paul Milet, PM Sèvres
Porcelain
This French porcelain box was designed by Paul Jean Milet, son of Felix Optatus Milet. Optat Milet began his career as a modeler for Sèvres in 1862 and opened his own ceramics factory ...
19th Century Minton’s Art Pottery Studio Kensington Gore Hand-Painted Charger
19th Century Minton’s Art Pottery Studio Kensingto...
Mintons Art Pottery Studio
Pottery
This large hand-painted charger was made by Mintons Art Pottery Studio of Kensington Gore, London. The studio traces its origins to the renowned earthenware and fine bone china factory ...
19th Century S. Kirk & Son Repoussé Sterling Silver Salver
19th Century S. Kirk & Son Repoussé Sterling Silv...
S. Kirk & Sons
Sterling Silver
This elegant late 19th century silver salver was made by Baltimore, Maryland based silver manufacturer, S. Kirk & Son. The piece features an ornate chased floral shoulder finished with ...
Charles Ahrenfeldt Limoges Gilt Encrusted Hand-Painted Cabinet Plates, Set of 12
Charles Ahrenfeldt Limoges Gilt Encrusted Hand-Pai...
Charles Ahrenfeldt
Porcelain
This outstanding set of Limoges porcelain cabinet plates was made and decorated by the Charles Ahrenfeldt porcelain factory and studio in Limoges, France. The center of each plate featu...
Set of 12 Lenox Cobalt and Gilt Encrusted Porcelain Cabinet Service Plates
Set of 12 Lenox Cobalt and Gilt Encrusted Porcelai...
Lenox
Porcelain
This set of 12 porcelain cabinet plates was made by Lenox in the early 20th century. The plates feature heavy gilt decoration along with a 1" thick cobalt blue band at the shoulder. The...
Early 20th Century Crown Staffordshire Gilt Porcelain Presentation Plates
Early 20th Century Crown Staffordshire Gilt Porcel...
Crown Staffordshire
Porcelain
This rare set of 12 English porcelain presentation plates was made by Crown Staffordshire and features heavy gilt decoration. The pieces have an intricate pattern consisting of a centra...
Aldo Londi for Bitossi Rimini Blu Vase and Lidded Jar with Floral Decoration
Aldo Londi for Bitossi Rimini Blu Vase and Lidded ...
Bitossi, Aldo Londi
Ceramic
This ceramic vase and lidded jar were designed by Aldo Londi, art director for Bitossi ceramiche in Montelupo, Italy. Both pieces feature large stylized flowers and have been finished i...
18th Century Polychrome Faience Lobed Platter
18th Century Polychrome Faience Lobed Platter
Paul Hannong
Earthenware
This early 18th century tin glazed earthenware platter was made by the Hannong ceramics factory in Strasbourg, France. Hannong was founded in 1721 by Charles-François Hannong and remai...