Calder The Complete Bronzes Book
About the Item
- Creator:Alexander Calder (Artist)
- Dimensions:Height: 11.75 in (29.85 cm)Width: 9.75 in (24.77 cm)Depth: 0.5 in (1.27 cm)
- Style:Modern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:2012
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1314223756572
Because Calder's parents, both artists themselves, did not want him to suffer the hardships of trying to make a living in art, they encouraged the young Calder to study mechanical engineering at the Stevens Institute of Technology, in Hoboken, New Jersey. He worked a number of jobs, including as a hydraulic engineer and draftsman for the New York Edison Company, before deciding to pursue an artistic career. He never abandoned his engineering background, however, applying his understanding of gears and moving parts in all his artworks, from mechanical toys like the Cirque Calder (1931) and his revered prints to his free-standing abstract sculptures, called stabiles.
In 1926, Calder moved to Paris and established a studio in the Montparnasse quarter. He began creating the many parts of his famous miniature circus from found materials, such as wire, string, cloth, rubber and cork. Designed to be transportable, Cirque grew to fill five suitcases over the years. Always interested in putting forms in motion, Calder also pioneered a new art form called wire sculptures, which he described as “drawings in space.” Like his famous mobiles, the wire sculptures were suspended so that they turned with any movement of the air, presenting different forms when viewed from different angles.
In the 1950s, Calder returned to his roots in mechanical engineering, creating monumental abstract sculptures that verged on the architectural. He worked from loose gestural drawings like this preparatory sketch for his Man Stabile, from 1966. Throughout his career, he also worked as a set designer for the theater, as well as an illustrator and printmaker, producing vibrant, whimsical drawings for books and journals.
Find original Alexander Calder art today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Paris Berlin 1900-1933 Coffee Table BookLocated in New York, NYThe 'Paris Berlin 1900-1933 ' is a soft-cover book covering an exhibition from July 12-November 6, 1978, at The Centre Pompidou, Paris, France. Book cover...Category
Vintage 1970s French Modern BooksMaterials
- Bulgari Luxury Jewelry Coffee Table Book, 1990sBy BvlgariLocated in New York, NYThis is a beautiful coffee table (or library book) about the history of the iconic Italian luxury jeweler Bvlgari (or Bulgari), circa 1990s, Italy. Book covers Bulgari's history in c...Category
1990s Italian BooksMaterials
- Pablo Picasso, a Retrospective, Library or Coffee Table Book, 1980 New YorkBy MOMA Museum New York, Pablo PicassoLocated in New York, NYPablo Picasso: A Retrospective, The Museum on Modern Art, New York, library or coffee table book, 1980. Published on the occasion of the exhibition "Pablo Picasso: A Retrospective,...Category
20th Century American Modern BooksMaterials
- Picasso, Library or Coffee Table Book, circa 1950sBy Pablo PicassoLocated in New York, NYPicasso, a library or coffee table book, 1955, First Edition, Germany. The cover design was made especially for this book by Pablo Picasso, July 1955. "Picasso's art is one of the ...Category
Mid-20th Century German BooksMaterials
- Andy Warhol Elizabeth Taylor Coffee Table Book, SignedLocated in New York, NYA beautiful hard-cover coffee table or library book in memory of Elizabeth Taylor; "700 Nimes Road", by Catherine Opie. A beautiful and thoughtful body of work in which she (Catherin...Category
2010s Italian Post-Modern BooksMaterials
- Ellsworth Kelly Exhibition Catalog Book New York, 1973By MOMA Museum New YorkLocated in New York, NYAn Ellsworth Kelly exhibition catalog book from the Museum of Modern Art, New York, New York, 1973. Exhibition covers the Army, Boston, Pari...Category
Vintage 1970s American Minimalist BooksMaterials
- Carlo Scarpa: The Complete Works (Book)Located in North Yorkshire, GBBefore starting his career as an architect, Scarpa worked for more that ten years as artistic director at the Venini glass works where he gained an exceptional knowledge of raw mater...Category
20th Century BooksMaterials
- Calder: A Study of the Works of Alexander Calder by H. H. Arnason (Book)Located in North Yorkshire, GBAlexander Calder is one of the world's best known living sculptors. He has achieved world-wide recognition as the artist who made sculpture move, and he is one of the few men in hist...Category
20th Century BooksMaterials
- Frida Kahlo, The Complete Paintings, XL BookBy Frida Kahlo, TASCHENLocated in Los Angeles, CAWe access the intimacy of Frida’s affections and passions through a selection of drawings, pages from her personal diary, letters, and an extensive illustrated biography featuring photos of Frida, Diego, and the Casa Azul, Frida’s home and the center of her universe. This large-format XXL book allows readers to admire Frida Kahlo’s paintings...Category
2010s European BooksMaterials
- 'Book Sets' 2 Volumes, Francois Rabelais, The Complete WorksLocated in New York, NY2 Volumes. Francois Rabelais. The Complete Works. Illustrated by W. Heath Robinson. Frontispiece of Gargantua. Bound in 3/4 green morocco by Kelly. Linen boards, marbled endpapers, g...Category
20th Century North American BooksMaterials
- Gio Ponti: The Complete Work 1923-1978 (Book)Located in North Yorkshire, GBThis book is the first complete survey and profile of one of the 20th centuries most accomplished architects and designers. He was incredibly prolific and did not just stick with arc...Category
20th Century BooksMaterials
- Alexander Calder and His Magical Mobiles Art Book, Lipman & Aspinwal, 1st Ed.By Alexander CalderLocated in Vienna, ATA great art book about sculptor Alexander (Sandy) Calder by Gene Lipman, a long-time friend of Calder, and Margaret Aspinwall. 1st Edition from 1981. 7.5X10.25“, 96 pages, 95 illustrations, hardcover with dust jacket. The book describes the life and career of the twentieth-century artist and includes illustrations of a variety of his works and a guide to his sculptures in museums and public spaces. It focuses on his representative mobile works and also features early wire works, commercial sculptures...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern BooksMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
Renowned for His Mobiles, Alexander Calder Was Also Adept at Crafting Modernist Jewelry
There are no sparkling gemstones on this necklace, but its value far exceeds the cost of its materials.
10 Must-Visit American Public Sculptures
Get your dose of Vitamin D while surveying works by the likes of Alexander Calder, Keith Haring and Pablo Picasso.