- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Classic Midcentury Brno Chairs by Mies van der Rohe for Gordon International
- DimensionsHeight: 32 in (81.28 cm)Width: 22 in (55.88 cm)Depth: 22 in (55.88 cm)Seat Height: 17.5 in (44.45 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 4
- StyleBauhaus (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1970s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. minor fading to backs.
- Seller LocationBuffalo, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1062421333202
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Buffalo, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Architect, furniture designer and educator, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe was a central figure in the advancement and promotion of modernist design and architectural theory and practice. Like Frank Lloyd Wright and Le Corbusier, he was a hugely influential presence in the field, who shaped the course of 20th-century architecture both through his buildings and his teaching of rationalist design principles.
Born in the medieval German city of Aachen, Mies found an interest in architecture as a boy while working for his father, a master stonemason. He had no formal education as an architect, but learned his skills as an apprentice to the designer Bruno Paul, and as a staffer in the office the proto-modernist architect and designer Peter Behrens. Following World War I, Mies rose to prominence in his field amid the liberal atmosphere of the Weimar Republic. His reputation was secured by his work on the German Pavilion at the 1929 International Exposition in Barcelona (commonly referred to as the Barcelona Pavilion) — which Mies codesigned with Lilly Reich, his creative and romantic partner — a radically simple, poetic, open-plan building pared down to its architectural essentials. Mies would go on to direct the Bauhaus from 1930 until 1933, when Nazi-government interference forced the closure of the progressive art and design school. Later that decade, he made his way to Chicago, where he remained for the rest of his career as a practicing architect and a dean of the Illinois Institute of Technology.
Mies’s famed dictum “less is more” grew from his belief that architecture both guides and expresses the spirit of the times, and he envisioned the 20th century as open-minded, logical, transparent and liberated by technology. His best-known buildings — residences such as the Villa Tugendhat in Czechoslovakia and the Farnsworth House in rural Illinois; skyscrapers like the 860–880 Lake Shore Drive apartment towers in Chicago and the Seagram Building in New York — reflect that philosophy. As do the most famous furniture designs authored by him or codesigned with Reich.
Pieces designed by Mies and Reich such as the Barcelona chair (the authorized version is produced by Knoll today), stools and daybed, or the cantilevered Brno chairs, deliver a maximum of comfort and support from a minimum of materials: their “lavishness” derives from the precision with which they are engineered and constructed. For the collector, the allure of Mies’s furniture is at once practical and idealistic. Useful and functional, his works embody the highest aspirations of modernism.
- Set of Eight Chrome Brno Chairs by Mies Van Der Rohe for ThonetBy Thonet, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Buffalo, NYSet of eight chrome Brno chairs by Mies Van Der Rohe for Thonet, classic Bauhaus design, nice original condition, hand delivery avail to New York City or anywhere en route from Buffa...Category
1990s American Bauhaus ArmchairsMaterials
- Classic set 6 Brno Chairs ,, Black Leather & Chrome,,MADE BY kNOLL sTUDIO'SBy Knoll, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Buffalo, NYClassic set of 6 Brno Chairs made by Knoll Studios,, Wonderfull Black leather and polished Chrome..Extremely comfortable,,, Retain original Knoll labels as well as impressed marke t...Category
2010s American Bauhaus Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of 4 Black Leather and Chrome "Brno" ArmchairsBy Knoll, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Buffalo, NYSet of 4 black leather and chrome "Brno" armchairs. Nice original condition, unknown maker, possibly Italian, quality construction,.Category
20th Century Unknown Bauhaus ArmchairsMaterials
- Rare 1960s Gerald R.Griffith Barcelona Chairs, Mies van der RoheBy Gerald R. Griffith, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Buffalo, NYA collector's pair! These stunning pair of Barcelona chairs were made by Gerald R. Griffith under the close supervision of Mies van der Rohe, Pre-Knoll,, The Griffith chairs have ext...Category
Vintage 1960s American Bauhaus Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Rare Barcelona Ottomans by Mies van der Rohe for G.R. Griffith, Original LabelBy Gerald R. Griffith, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Buffalo, NYRare Barcelona ottomans by Gerald R. Griffith for Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, 1960s. By Gerald Griffith for Mies van der Rohe, produced for a short period of time by this Chicago metal...Category
Vintage 1960s American Bauhaus Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Classic Pair of Modernist Armchairs by John Van Koert for DrexelBy Drexel, John Van KoertLocated in Buffalo, NYClassic pair of modernist armchairs by John Van Koert for Drexe, amazing original condition, solid. Sturdy construction, superior quality, sculpted walnut, extremely comfortable.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- 6 Tubular Ludwig Mies van der Rohe Brno Armchairs by Gordon International, 1979By Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Miami, FLSet of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe attributed Brno armchairs or dining room chairs in original coral red fabric upholstery. Solid chrome tubular frames with cantilever swing, very com...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Knoll International Leather 'Brno' Chairs by Mies van der Rohe, 1987, SignedBy Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, KnollLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis set of four (4) signed (authentic) Knoll International 'Brno' Chairs are in an incredible black leather. These collectible 2nd generation productions by Knoll International have...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Stainless Steel$6,200 Sale Price / set29% Off
- Mies Van Der Rohe Thin Brno Chairs by KnollBy Knoll, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Highland, INWe think this version of Mies' Brno chair with it's thin seat and back is the most elegant and comes closest to his minimalist ideal. Upholstered in black leather, this pair is in go...Category
Vintage 1920s American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Stainless Steel$1,950 / set
- Pair Black and Chrome Brno Chairs by Mies van der Rohe for ThonetBy Thonet, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Dallas, TXClassic Bauhaus design pair of Brno chairs by Mies van der Rohe for Thonet. The chairs feature polished chrome-plated tubular steel cantilevered frames, seats upholstered in a black ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- 1 Thonet Mies van der Rohe Brno Chair With Embossed LeatherBy Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Pasadena, TXOne Mies van der Rohe style Brno chairs made by Thonet. Newly upholstered in an embossed faux reptile brown leather. Seamless tubular chrome frame. 4 Available.Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Mies Van Der Rohe Brno Chairs for KnollBy Knoll, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Chicago, ILMies Van der Rohe BRNO chairs for Knoll, 2000’s 6 available Chrome-plated steel, original red upholstery Knoll impressed marks to arms and Knoll labels underneath Conditi...Category
Early 2000s Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Chrome$750 / item