- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Set of Eight Chrome Brno Chairs by Mies Van Der Rohe for Thonet
- DimensionsHeight: 31.5 in (80.01 cm)Width: 22 in (55.88 cm)Depth: 24.5 in (62.23 cm)Seat Height: 17 in (43.18 cm)
- StyleBauhaus (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1995
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationBuffalo, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1062410466231
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Buffalo, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Architect, furniture designer and educator, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe was a central figure in the advancement and promotion of modernist design and architectural theory and practice. Like Frank Lloyd Wright and Le Corbusier, he was a hugely influential presence in the field, who shaped the course of 20th-century architecture both through his buildings and his teaching of rationalist design principles.
Born in the medieval German city of Aachen, Mies found an interest in architecture as a boy while working for his father, a master stonemason. He had no formal education as an architect, but learned his skills as an apprentice to the designer Bruno Paul, and as a staffer in the office the proto-modernist architect and designer Peter Behrens. Following World War I, Mies rose to prominence in his field amid the liberal atmosphere of the Weimar Republic. His reputation was secured by his work on the German Pavilion at the 1929 International Exposition in Barcelona (commonly referred to as the Barcelona Pavilion) — which Mies codesigned with Lilly Reich, his creative and romantic partner — a radically simple, poetic, open-plan building pared down to its architectural essentials. Mies would go on to direct the Bauhaus from 1930 until 1933, when Nazi-government interference forced the closure of the progressive art and design school. Later that decade, he made his way to Chicago, where he remained for the rest of his career as a practicing architect and a dean of the Illinois Institute of Technology.
Mies’s famed dictum “less is more” grew from his belief that architecture both guides and expresses the spirit of the times, and he envisioned the 20th century as open-minded, logical, transparent and liberated by technology. His best-known buildings — residences such as the Villa Tugendhat in Czechoslovakia and the Farnsworth House in rural Illinois; skyscrapers like the 860–880 Lake Shore Drive apartment towers in Chicago and the Seagram Building in New York — reflect that philosophy. As do the most famous furniture designs authored by him or codesigned with Reich.
Pieces designed by Mies and Reich such as the Barcelona chair (the authorized version is produced by Knoll today), stools and daybed, or the cantilevered Brno chairs, deliver a maximum of comfort and support from a minimum of materials: their “lavishness” derives from the precision with which they are engineered and constructed. For the collector, the allure of Mies’s furniture is at once practical and idealistic. Useful and functional, his works embody the highest aspirations of modernism.
- Classic Midcentury Brno Chairs by Mies van der Rohe for Gordon InternationalBy Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Buffalo, NYClassic set of 4 midcentury Brno chairs by Mies van der Rohe for Gordon International, beautiful polished chrome tubular steel, retain original orange wool fabric, minor blemishes an...Category
Vintage 1970s American Bauhaus ArmchairsMaterials
- Classic set 6 Brno Chairs ,, Black Leather & Chrome,,MADE BY kNOLL sTUDIO'SBy Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, KnollLocated in Buffalo, NYClassic set of 6 Brno Chairs made by Knoll Studios,, Wonderfull Black leather and polished Chrome..Extremely comfortable,,, Retain original Knoll labels as well as impressed marke t...Category
2010s American Bauhaus Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of 4 Black Leather and Chrome "Brno" ArmchairsBy Knoll, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Buffalo, NYSet of 4 black leather and chrome "Brno" armchairs. Nice original condition, unknown maker, possibly Italian, quality construction,.Category
20th Century Unknown Bauhaus ArmchairsMaterials
- Most Unusual Set 4 of Modernist Bentwood Armchairs by ThonetBy Thonet, Michael ThonetLocated in Buffalo, NYMost unusual set of modernist bentwood armchairs by Thonet ...This chair seems to be a blend of Classic Bauhaus style chairs designed by Michael Thonet, can’t seem to find another? C...Category
Vintage 1960s American Bauhaus ArmchairsMaterials
Bentwood, Patent Leather
- Rare 1960s Gerald R.Griffith Barcelona Chairs, Mies van der RoheBy Gerald R. Griffith, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Buffalo, NYA collector's pair! These stunning pair of Barcelona chairs were made by Gerald R. Griffith under the close supervision of Mies van der Rohe, Pre-Knoll,, The Griffith chairs have ext...Category
Vintage 1960s American Bauhaus Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Rare Barcelona Ottomans by Mies van der Rohe for G.R. Griffith, Original LabelBy Gerald R. Griffith, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Buffalo, NYRare Barcelona ottomans by Gerald R. Griffith for Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, 1960s. By Gerald Griffith for Mies van der Rohe, produced for a short period of time by this Chicago metal...Category
Vintage 1960s American Bauhaus Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Pair Black and Chrome Brno Chairs by Mies van der Rohe for ThonetBy Thonet, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Dallas, TXClassic Bauhaus design pair of Brno chairs by Mies van der Rohe for Thonet. The chairs feature polished chrome-plated tubular steel cantilevered frames, seats upholstered in a black ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Four Flatbar Mies Van Der Rohe Brno Chairs for ThonetBy Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, ThonetLocated in Chino Hills, CANow available is a set of 4 Brno chairs originally designed by Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe and Lilly Reich but manufactured by Thonet. Some wear on the fabric. Height: 30.5 in. (77.4...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- 1 Thonet Mies van der Rohe Brno Chair With Embossed LeatherBy Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Pasadena, TXOne Mies van der Rohe style Brno chairs made by Thonet. Newly upholstered in an embossed faux reptile brown leather. Seamless tubular chrome frame. 4 Available.Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Mies Van Der Rohe Thin Brno Chairs by KnollBy Knoll, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Highland, INWe think this version of Mies' Brno chair with it's thin seat and back is the most elegant and comes closest to his minimalist ideal. Upholstered in black leather, this pair is in go...Category
Vintage 1920s American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Stainless Steel$1,950 / set
- Set of Eight, Ten or 12 Mies Van Der Rohe Tubular Brno Chairs by KnollBy Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Highland, INThese tubular Brno chairs by Mies van deer Rohe have stainless steel frames and are upholstered in Eames small dot fabric, giving a lighter, playful touch to an otherwise sober refin...Category
Vintage 1930s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Eight Knoll Mies van der Rohe Tubular Brno Dining Chairs in LeatherBy Knoll, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Philadelphia, PAA lovely and complete set of 8 Brno armchair dining chairs designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and produced by Knoll. These feature chrome tubular frames with light red embossed lea...Category
Early 2000s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials