Franco Albini Mid Century Bamboo Organic Sunburst Chair, 1950's
About the Item
- Creator:Franco Albini (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 30.32 in (77 cm)Width: 29.53 in (75 cm)Depth: 24.41 in (62 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1950
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Minor fading. Chair is in good condition with no fraying or loss to rattan. Legs in good condition with original brass studs to feet.
- Seller Location:High Wycombe, GB
- Reference Number:Seller: KF1stDibs: LU8232233971572
While working under the polymath Gio Ponti — arguably the most important figure in 20th-century Italian modernism — furniture designer Franco Albini nurtured a love for modern forms combined with traditional craft techniques.
Albini is widely known for working with organic materials such as rattan and cane for his chairs and other seating, but he also played a pivotal role in the Italian rationalist movement of the early 20th century, which saw architects and furniture makers applying a strict emphasis on geometry in their work. Rationalists drew on Ancient Roman architecture but rejected ornament, much in the way that Le Corbusier and celebrated Bauhaus figures such as Ludwig Mies van der Rohe had in their modernist furniture.
Albini received his degree in architecture from the Polytechnic University of Milan in 1929, and, in 1931, he founded his practice in Milan, where he tackled workers’ housing and other reconstruction projects. A gifted urban planner, he also developed the Palazzo Bianco, Palazzo Rosso and Tesoro di San Lorenzo museums in Genoa. While Albini is revered for his Margherita chair — a Triennale Milano award winner created for Bonacina in 1951 — he also collaborated with manufacturers Poggi and Cassina in the 1940s on seating, tables and more that embodied his artistic vision. Of that mid-century work, the one piece that perhaps best captures this vision is the iconic Luisa chair.
With its cherry red upholstery and sinuous wooden legs that seem to float aboveground, the Luisa is a genuine masterpiece. It is also a testament to Albini’s perfectionism, as it endured several prototypes — including one made by Knoll in the late 1940s — and took approximately 15 years to design. Poggi launched the final version of the armchair in 1955, earning Albini the prestigious Compasso d’Oro from Italy’s Association for Industrial Design. It is produced today by Cassina. Albini named the chair for someone who likely saw the process firsthand: his personal secretary of two decades, Luisa Colombini.
Find vintage Franco Albini furniture on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: High Wycombe, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Victorian Military Campaign Folding Faux Bamboo Embroidered Canvas ChairLocated in High Wycombe, GBA delicate slice of Victorian Military Campaign. A folding Chair of Faux Bamboo, with an Embroidered Canvas Seat Rear Finished With Brown Leather Sling Arms On A Turned Beechwood Fra...Category
Antique Late 19th Century British Aesthetic Movement ChairsMaterials
- Faux Bamboo, Brass & Brown Leather Folding Campaign Safari ChairBy Maison JansenLocated in High Wycombe, GB20th century Faux Bamboo & Brown Leather Folding Campaign Safari Chair With Sling Arms & Brass Mounts Havana Teak and Faux Bamboo & Brass Folding Ch...Category
Mid-20th Century British Campaign ChairsMaterials
- Faux Bamboo Leather & Brass Folding Campaign Chair with Sling Arms Maison JansenLocated in High Wycombe, GBMaison Jansen Faux Bamboo Folding Campaign Chair Finished With Brass Studs & Red Leather Cushioned Seat And Brass Mounts 1950'sCategory
Mid-20th Century British Campaign ChairsMaterials
- Set of Four Charles Hollis Jones Lucite Dining Chairs Made 1970sBy Charles Hollis Jones, Belgo ChromeLocated in High Wycombe, GBA Set of Four Charles Hollis Jones lucite Dining Chairs By The Esteemed American Modernist Designer Named "The Godfather Of l...Category
Late 20th Century Belgian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Italian Modernist Folding Cane Chairs by Designer Giorgio CattelanBy Giorgio CattelanLocated in High Wycombe, GB1970s Italian Modernist Folding Cane Chairs By Designer Giorgio Cattelan For Brand Cidue Made In Italy Price For The Pair Makers stamps to wood /...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Milo Baughman Chromed Steel and Cane Dining Chairs, 1970sBy Milo BaughmanLocated in High Wycombe, GBA Pair of Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Chromed Steel And Rattan Dining Chairs On Sledge Feet Made In USA 1970s The chair seats are upholstered in red fabric with piped edging. ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Rocking Chair in Bamboo and Rattan Attributed to Franco Albini, 1950’sBy Franco AlbiniLocated in Hastings, GBA wonderful 1950’s bent bamboo and rattan high backed rocking chair, very much in the style of Franco Albini’s ‘Rocking Chaise’ for Poggi, all canework and rattan ties are in good co...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Rocking ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Franco Albini Style Bamboo Lounge ChairsBy Franco AlbiniLocated in Los Angeles, CAGorgeous midcentury Bamboo Franco Albini Style Lounge Chairs. In Original Condition with Some Signs of Wear Consistent with Age and Use. Other Mat...Category
Vintage 1960s Dutch Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Franco Albini for Poggi circa 1950, Folding ChairBy Franco AlbiniLocated in Wargrave, BerkshireFranco Albini for Poggi, Italy, circa 1950. A folding chair of wooden construction in completely original untouched vintage condition. Mech...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Franco Albini Bonacina Mid Century Margherita Chair & Coffee Table- 2 PiecesBy Franco AlbiniLocated in Basel, BSThe "Margherita chair" by Franco Albini is one of the most notable pieces of furniture created by the Lombard architect and designer Franco Albini in the 1950s. He partnered with Fra...Category
20th Century ChairsMaterials
- Franco Albini Chair "47", 1949By Franco AlbiniLocated in Berlin, DEElegant chair model "47" with renewed high quality woolen fabric, designed by Franco Albini in 1949 and manufactured by Knoll international, Belgium. Very elegant and rational design...Category
Vintage 1940s European Modern ChairsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern 'Luisa' Chair by Franco Albini, Italy, c.1955 (10 Chairs)By Franco AlbiniLocated in Brussels, BEMid-Century Modern 'Luisa' Chair by Franco Albini, Italy, c.1955 (10 Chairs)Category
Vintage 1950s Italian ChairsMaterials