Wendell Castle, Morning Sun
- Production TypeNew & Custom(Limited Edition)
- Production TimeAvailable Now
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture2009
- Materials and TechniquesFiberglass,Silver Leaf
- DimensionsH 32 in. x W 33.5 in. x D 36 in.H 81.28 cm x W 85.09 cm x D 91.44 cm
- Seller LocationNew York, NY
- Reference NumberLU102681061140
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About Wendell Castle (Designer)
Wendell Castle was an American furniture maker celebrated for his experimental creations in wood and plastic. He was one of the first to create seating, lighting and tables that resemble sculpture, otherwise known as art furniture. A founding father of the American Studio movement , Castle was known for his craftsmanship and broke new ground in the 1960s with the stack-laminate technique, which involves layering and then sanding thin sheets of wood. In the ’70s, he transitioned to using gel-coated plastic in bright colors.
Castle integrated both mediums in his designs from the 2000s, which, like his vintage pieces, are characterized by curved, biomorphic lines and whimsical undertones. Ever the innovator, he integrated computers and robots in his later production process to come up with wildly imaginative forms. Castle was working on a new body of work when he passed away in 2018 at the age of 85. Read more about Wendell Castle in Introspective magazine