Contemporary Modern Herman Miller Setu White Office Arm Chair
About the Item
- Creator:Herman Miller (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 32.5 in (82.55 cm)Width: 23 in (58.42 cm)Depth: 26.5 in (67.31 cm)Seat Height: 17 in (43.18 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Date of Manufacture:circa Late 20th Century
- Seller Location:Keego Harbor, MI
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2715330047912
No other business of its kind did more than the Herman Miller Furniture Company to introduce modern design into American homes. Working with legendary designers such as Charles and Ray Eames, George Nelson and Alexander Girard, the Zeeland, Michigan-based firm fostered some of the boldest expressions of what we now call mid-century modern style. In doing so, Herman Miller produced some of the most beautiful, iconic and, one can even say, noblest furniture ever.
Founded in 1923, Herman Miller was originally known for grand historicist bedroom suites: heavily ornamented wood furniture that appealed to a high-minded, wealthier clientele. The company — named for its chief financial backer — began to suffer in the early 1930s as the Great Depression hit, and D.J. De Pree, the company’s CEO, feared bankruptcy. In 1932, aid came in the form of Gilbert Rohde, a self-taught furniture designer who had traveled widely in Europe, absorbing details of the Art Deco movement and other modernist influences. After persuading De Pree that the growing middle-class required smaller, lighter household furnishings, Rohde set a new course for Herman Miller, creating sleek chairs, tables and cabinetry that were the essence of the Streamline Moderne style.
Rohde died suddenly in 1944. The following year, De Pree turned to George Nelson, an architect who had written widely about modern furniture design. Under Nelson’s leadership, Herman Miller would embrace new technologies and materials and audacious biomorphic forms. Some of the pieces the company produced are now emblems of 20th century American design, including the Eames lounge chair and ottoman and Nelson’s Marshmallow sofa and Coconut chair. As you can see on 1stDibs, such instantly recognizable furnishings have become timeless — staples of a modernist décor; striking, offbeat notes in traditional environments.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Keego Harbor, MI
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Contemporary Modern Herman Miller Intersect Folding Rounded White TableBy Herman MillerLocated in Keego Harbor, MIA contemporary modern Herman Miller Intersect folding rounded white table. A lovely piece from Herman Miller. This versatile table can be used for many rooms and activities. This pie...Category
Late 20th Century TablesMaterials
- Mid Century Modern Charles and Ray Eames for Herman Miller DeskBy Charles and Ray Eames, Herman MillerLocated in Keego Harbor, MIThe Charles and Ray Eames desk is a quintessential example of mid-century modern design, representing the creative brilliance of this renow...Category
Late 20th Century Mid-Century Modern Desks and Writing TablesMaterials
- Set of 4 Vintage Eames Herman Miller Molded Fiberglass Blue Leather Swivel ChairBy Herman MillerLocated in Keego Harbor, MIA set of 4 vintage Eames Herman Miller molded fiberglass blue leather padded swivel chairs. A lovely set of classic mid century Herman Miller Chai...Category
Mid-20th Century Swivel ChairsMaterials
- Early MCM Eames for Herman Miller Aluminum Group Grey Fabric Swivel ChairBy Charles Eames, Herman MillerLocated in Keego Harbor, MIAn early mid century modern Eames for Herman Miller aluminum group swivel chair. A super iconic piece from Eames and Herman Miller featuring a full aluminum frame construction, a sup...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- Mid Century Modern ESU Charles and Ray Eames for Herman Miller Eames CabinetBy Charles and Ray Eames, Herman MillerLocated in Keego Harbor, MIThe Charles and Ray Eames cabinet is a timeless masterpiece of mid-century modern design, a true testament to the legendary duo's innovative vision. Crafted with meticulous attention...Category
Late 20th Century Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Herman Miller x Geiger International Tuxedo Classic Blue Settee LoveseatBy Herman MillerLocated in Keego Harbor, MIA Herman Miller x Geiger International Tuxedo Classic Blue Settee Loveseat. This is a gorgeous contemporary loveseat from a collaboration of Herman Mil...Category
Late 20th Century LoveseatsMaterials
- Setu Office Chair by Studio 7.5 for Herman MillerBy Studio 7.5 1, Herman MillerLocated in Los Angeles, CAThe Setu Chair defines flexibility, moving with the user, with a clean aesthetic that suits nearly any home or office space. It’s no accident that this chai...Category
Early 2000s North American Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Herman Miller Office ChairBy Herman MillerLocated in Brooklyn, NYSingle adjustable office chair made by Herman Miller. 5 total available. Please confirm location NY or NJ.Category
20th Century Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Herman Miller Office ChairBy Herman MillerLocated in Brooklyn, NYVintage office chair by Herman Miller for Eames. Classic "shell chair" design with fiberglas body on a sturdy metal base. (Please confirm location NY or NJ).Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Herman Miller High-Back Office ChairBy Herman MillerLocated in Los Angeles, CAHerman Miller high-back soft pad office chair in black leather, great condition. Stamped with date of manufactured.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Herman Miller Rolling Office Chairs, PairBy Herman MillerLocated in South Bend, INA nice pair of rolling office or desk chairs By Herman Miller USA, 2000s A nice pair of rolling office or desk chairs By Herman Miller USA, 2000s Measures: 18" W x 19" D x 3...Category
Early 2000s American Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Herman Miller Office Chair in Red FabricBy Herman MillerLocated in bari, ITHerman Miller office chair in red fabric from late 1980s.Category
Vintage 1980s Central American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
A Guide to Herman Miller’s Most Iconic Furniture
The prolific manufacturer has partnered with many of the world’s top designers since opening its doors in 1923. Here are some of the company’s greatest hits, which helped transform the American home and office.
The 16 Most Popular Mid-Century Modern Chairs
You know the designs, now get the stories about to how they came to be.