- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Osvaldo Borsani Desk Chair in Dark Brown Leather
- DimensionsHeight: 46.07 in. (117 cm)Width: 26.78 in. (68 cm)Depth: 26.38 in. (67 cm)Seat Height: 21.26 in. (54 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1960s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Every item Morentz offers is checked by our team of 30 craftsmen in our in-house workshop. Special restoration requests can be done. We guarantee a very highquality standard, ask our design specialists for detailed information.
- Seller LocationWaalwijk, NL
- Reference NumberSeller: 450142001stDibs: LU933124933712
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$1,999 Express Front Door Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 4-8 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered to the first available dry area outside of your house or building (front door, porch, landing area, garage, etc.).Customs Duties & Taxes May Apply.Ships From: Waalwijk, Netherlands
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Designer
With his stylish and technically innovative furniture, Osvaldo Borsani helped change the face of Italian design in the 1950s and ’60s. His sofas and chairs, featuring deeply upholstered seating and adjustable position settings, have an aura of optimism and efficiency that still seems fresh and lively today.
Born in the commune of Varedo in northern Italy’s Lombardy region, Borsani studied at the Brera Academy in Milan — the same school attended by such luminaries as designer Piero Fornasetti and artist Lucio Fontana — as well as the Polytechnic University of Milan. Borsani first worked for his father’s furniture-making firm, an atelier influenced by the more expressive and curvaceous wing of Art Deco design. By 1953, when, along with his twin brother, Fulgenzio — the pair also created this visionary mid-century villa — Borsani opened the furniture company Tecno, his design sensibilities had evolved toward furnishings with strong, simple forms enhanced by mechanical innovations, as with the P40 adjustable armchair (1953). Borsani would be the firm’s lead designer for 30 years, while fostering work by Vico Magistretti, Carlo di Carli, Robin Day and others.
Similar to Giò Ponti in the earliest years of his career, Borsani first created designs marked by lush and buoyant lines: tables with voluptuous curved legs, sofas with undulating backrests. But Borsani’s best-known and most novel pieces date from Tecno’s initial furniture lines: the adjustable D70 sofa, which folds open to make a daybed, and the P40 recliner. The latter — now included in the collections of the Museum of Modern Art and the Victoria & Albert Museum — is an articulated lounger with a back, seat and leg rest that can be moved into 486 different positions. Not only is it extremely comfortable, it is also enduringly chic.
Established in 2006, Morentz has a team of approximately 55 restorers, upholsterers, interior advisers and art historians, making it a gallery, workshop and upholstery studio, all in one. Every day, a carefully selected array of 20th-century furniture arrives from all over the world at the firm’s warehouse, where the team thoroughly e...
- By Osvaldo Borsani, TecnoLocated in Waalwijk, NLOsvaldo Borsani for Tecno, pair of P40 lounge chairs, original black fabric, metal, Italy, 1955. These lounge...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- By Eugenio Gerli, Osvaldo Borsani, TecnoLocated in Waalwijk, NLOsvaldo Borsani and Eugenio Gerli for Tecno, T102 dining or conference table, teak and steel, Italy, 1964. Ova...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- By Tecno, Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in Waalwijk, NLOsvaldo Borsani for Tecno, dining table 'T 102', Carrara marble, chrome-plated steel, Italy, 1964 This elegant ...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1960s Italian Office Chairs and Desk Chairs
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk Chairs
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Desks and Writing Tables
Mid-20th Century European Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk Chairs
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk Chairs
Mid-Century Master Osvaldo Borsani Gets His Due at Donzella
The New York City gallery has devoted its latest show to the work of the modernist Italian designer.
Peek inside Osvaldo Borsani’s Mod Italian Villa
The iconic mid-century estate outside of Milan opens its doors to the public for a very special homage.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery