- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Mid-Century Modern Vintage Rattan Pouf Stool Franco Albini attr Italy, 1950s
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Vienna, Austria
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Designer
While working under the polymath Gio Ponti — arguably the most important figure in 20th-century Italian modernism — furniture designer Franco Albini nurtured a love for modern forms combined with traditional craft techniques.
Albini is widely known for working with organic materials such as rattan and cane for his chairs and other seating, but he also played a pivotal role in the Italian rationalist movement of the early 20th century, which saw architects and furniture makers applying a strict emphasis on geometry in their work. Rationalists drew on Ancient Roman architecture but rejected ornament, much in the way that Le Corbusier and celebrated Bauhaus figures such as Ludwig Mies van der Rohe had in their modernist furniture.
Albini received his degree in architecture from the Polytechnic University of Milan in 1929, and, in 1931, he founded his practice in Milan, where he tackled workers’ housing and other reconstruction projects. A gifted urban planner, he also developed the Palazzo Bianco, Palazzo Rosso and Tesoro di San Lorenzo museums in Genoa. While Albini is revered for his Margherita chair — a Triennale Milano award winner created for Bonacina in 1951 — he also collaborated with manufacturers Poggi and Cassina in the 1940s on seating, tables and more that embodied his artistic vision. Of that mid-century work, the one piece that perhaps best captures this vision is the iconic Luisa chair.
With its cherry red upholstery and sinuous wooden legs that seem to float aboveground, the Luisa is a genuine masterpiece. It is also a testament to Albini’s perfectionism, as it endured several prototypes — including one made by Knoll in the late 1940s — and took approximately 15 years to design. Poggi launched the final version of the armchair in 1955, earning Albini the prestigious Compasso d’Oro from Italy’s Association for Industrial Design. It is produced today by Cassina. Albini named the chair for someone who likely saw the process firsthand: his personal secretary of two decades, Luisa Colombini.
Find vintage Franco Albini furniture on 1stDibs.
- Mid-Century Modern Vintage Rattan Pouf in the Style of Albini 1960sBy Franco AlbiniLocated in Vienna, ATWe present a very elegant woven rattan pouf or ottoman designed in the style of Franco Albini, Italy. Many rattan rods form and set this structure. It is smart and transparent design...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Mid Century Modern Vintage Rattan Wicker Beech Stool attr Tony Paul 1955 USABy Tony PaulLocated in Vienna, ATMid Century Modern organic vintage stool footstool or pouf from rattan and beechwood round like design attributed to Tony Paul, c. 1955 USA. Tony Paul ( 1918 - 2010 ) We love this...Category
Vintage 1950s North American Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
- Mid Century Modern Organic Rattan Black Metal Stool or Ottoman 1950s AustriaBy Carl AuböckLocated in Vienna, ATMid Century Modern vintage organic stool or ottoman or footstool from rattan and black lacquered metal frame 1950s Austria. While the slightly curved seat shows wonderful organic ra...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
- Mid Century Modern Vintage Hans J. Wegner Stool Attributed, 1950s, DenmarkBy Hans J. WegnerLocated in Vienna, ATMid Century Modern vintage stool from wood attributed to Hans J. Wegner 1950s Denmark.The stool shows underneath a paper label which gives the information model no. 85 and made in th...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Mid Century Modern Vintage Stools by Talos, 1950s, Vienna Set of TwoBy Günter TalosLocated in Vienna, ATMid century modern vintage pair of three-legged stools with ametal base and a plastic covered seat. The stools have a seat from plastic cover with multicolored geometric pattern and ...Category
Mid-20th Century Austrian Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
- Mid Century Modern Brown Black Vintage Wicker Metal Stool Ottoman Vienna, 1950sLocated in Vienna, ATMid Century Modern wicker stool with black lacquered steel feet and rubber sabots, which was designed and manufactured Vienna 1950s. The stable seat was made of woven wicker. We love...Category
Vintage 1950s Austrian Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Footstools
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Ottomans and Poufs
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Stools
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Stools
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Ottomans and Poufs
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Stools
Bamboo, Cane, Rattan, Wicker
Vintage 1960s Ottomans and Poufs
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Footstools
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Stools
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Ottomans and Poufs