- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Franco Albini for Poggi Pair of Cabinets in Teak
- DimensionsHeight: 30.32 in. (77 cm)Width: 48.04 in. (122 cm)Depth: 18.51 in. (47 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleMid-Century Modern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1957
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Every item Morentz offers is checked by our team of 30 craftsmen in our in-house workshop. Special restoration or reupholstery requests can be done. We guarantee a very high-quality standard, ask our design specialists for detailed information.
- Seller LocationWaalwijk, NL
- Reference NumberSeller: 501111041stDibs: LU933128089642
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Waalwijk, Netherlands
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 10 days of delivery.
About the Designer
While working under the polymath Gio Ponti — arguably the most important figure in 20th-century Italian modernism — furniture designer Franco Albini nurtured a love for modern forms combined with traditional craft techniques.
Albini is widely known for working with organic materials such as rattan and cane for his chairs and other seating, but he also played a pivotal role in the Italian rationalist movement of the early 20th century, which saw architects and furniture makers applying a strict emphasis on geometry in their work. Rationalists drew on Ancient Roman architecture but rejected ornament, much in the way that Le Corbusier and celebrated Bauhaus figures such as Ludwig Mies van der Rohe had in their modernist furniture.
Albini received his degree in architecture from the Polytechnic University of Milan in 1929, and, in 1931, he founded his practice in Milan, where he tackled workers’ housing and other reconstruction projects. A gifted urban planner, he also developed the Palazzo Bianco, Palazzo Rosso and Tesoro di San Lorenzo museums in Genoa. While Albini is revered for his Margherita chair — a Triennale Milano award winner created for Bonacina in 1951 — he also collaborated with manufacturers Poggi and Cassina in the 1940s on seating, tables and more that embodied his artistic vision. Of that mid-century work, the one piece that perhaps best captures this vision is the iconic Luisa chair.
With its cherry red upholstery and sinuous wooden legs that seem to float aboveground, the Luisa is a genuine masterpiece. It is also a testament to Albini’s perfectionism, as it endured several prototypes — including one made by Knoll in the late 1940s — and took approximately 15 years to design. Poggi launched the final version of the armchair in 1955, earning Albini the prestigious Compasso d’Oro from Italy’s Association for Industrial Design. It is produced today by Cassina. Albini named the chair for someone who likely saw the process firsthand: his personal secretary of two decades, Luisa Colombini.
Find vintage Franco Albini furniture on 1stDibs.
Established in 2006, Morentz has a team of approximately 55 restorers, upholsterers, interior advisers and art historians, making it a gallery, workshop and upholstery studio, all in one. Every day, a carefully selected array of 20th-century furniture arrives from all over the world at the firm’s warehouse, where the team thoroughly examines each piece to determine what, if any, work needs to be done. Whether that means new upholstery or a complete restoration, Morentz's aim is always to honor the designer’s intention while fulfilling the wishes of the client. The team is up to any challenge, from restoring a single piece to its original glory to furnishing a large-scale hotel project.
- Large Franco Albini for Poggi Sideboard in TeakBy Franco Albini, PoggiLocated in Waalwijk, NLFranco Albini for Poggi, sideboard, model MB 51, teak, Italy, 1950. Well-designed long sideboard by Franco Albini for Poggi, which features a simplistic design with sharp lines. T...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Franco Albini for Poggi Dining Table 'TL2' in WalnutBy Poggi, Franco AlbiniLocated in Waalwijk, NLFranco Albini for Poggi, dining table model TL2, walnut and metal, Italy, 1951 The TL2 table by Franco Albini features a simplistic and sleek design. Executed in darkened walnut woo...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Robert Heritage Cabinets in TeakBy Robert HeritageLocated in Waalwijk, NLRobert heritage, two cabinets, teak, United Kingdom, 1960s Midcentury small sideboards in teak. The small cabinets are equipped with doors and offer plenty of storage space. They ...Category
Vintage 1960s British Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Dieter Waeckerlin for Behr Sideboard in Teak and MetalBy Behr, Dieter WaeckerlinLocated in Waalwijk, NLDieter Waeckerlin for Behr, sideboard, teak, metal, maple, Switzerland, 1950s. This modest sideboard holds an utterly well-balanced construction concealing a great sense of propor...Category
Vintage 1950s Swiss Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Dieter Waeckerlin for Behr Sideboard in Teak and MetalBy Behr, Dieter WaeckerlinLocated in Waalwijk, NLDieter Waeckerlin for Behr, sideboard model ‘B40’, teak, metal, maple, Switzerland, 1958 This modest sideboard holds an utterly well-balanced construction concealing a great sense ...Category
Vintage 1950s Swiss Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Guillerme et Chambron Set of Three Cabinets in Solid OakBy Votre Maison, Guillerme et ChambronLocated in Waalwijk, NLGuillerme et Chambron for Votre Maison, set of three cabinets, oak, leather France, 1960s This outstanding set of three cabinets is based on a well-designed structure where aesthe...Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
You May Also Like
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Bookcases
Vintage 1950s Italian Sideboards
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Cabinets
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Bookcases
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Cabinets
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Sideboards
Mid-20th Century Danish Art Deco Cabinets
20th Century Mid-Century Modern Cabinets
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Cabinets
Recently ViewedView More
Morentz Writes the Next Chapter for Furniture with a Storied Past
Dutch dealer Matthijs Hoveijn specializes in the best of mid-century modern design, selling it to discerning clients around the world.
Paris Designer Luis Laplace Enlivens Old-World Rooms with Art
The Argentinian-born talent has a knack for helping serious collectors show off their impressive holdings.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery