- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Renzo Rutili Bleached Mahogany and White Micarta Long Cabinet
About the Item
- Creator:Johnson Furniture Co. (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 32 in (81.28 cm)Width: 70.5 in (179.07 cm)Depth: 20.5 in (52.07 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1950s
- Condition:Excellent vintage condition.
- Seller Location:Chicago, IL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU84195407703
Johnson Furniture Co.
Take a medal from the King of Sweden, a splash of the roaring twenties, and a series of talented designers and you get Johnson Furniture Co.’s elegant Art Deco and period-revival furnishings as well as a taste for why the Johnson name prevailed for over a century in American furniture manufacturing.
A wealth of forests rendered Grand Rapids, Michigan, a logging center during the 1800s. It eventually gained recognition for its furniture industry. The city became a destination for woodworkers who hailed from all over the United States as well as Europe, and Johnson Furniture Co. cofounder Carl Johnson, who had been recognized for cabinetmaking by the head of the royal family in his native Sweden, brought his royally acknowledged talents to America with his two brothers, Hjalmar and Axel in 1887. Together, they established Cabinetmakers Co. in Grand Rapids. In 1908, the brothers sold their start-up and founded Johnson Furniture Co.
Tom Handley, of the well-respected English furniture company Waring and Gillow, became an in-house designer with Johnson Furniture Co. in its early days. Handley would stay on as part of both the Johnson label and of Johnson-Handley-Johnson — a companion company that spun off from Johnson in 1922 — until his death in 1926. At the time, archaeological discoveries were all the rage. The greatest influence on Art Deco jewelry, for example, was the excavation of the tomb of King Tut in 1922, and some vintage Tom Handley designs were adaptations of Egyptian furniture. The brand specialized in a range of styles that included Art Deco, Chippendale, Queen Anne and more.
Acclaimed designer David Robertson Smith, who had made furniture in the Arts and Crafts style for the likes of Gustav Stickley, carried the Johnson Furniture Co. creative team into the early 1930s. Grand Rapids had by then become a thriving hub with respect to the mass production of furniture, and Smith’s sophisticated Dynamique line — a collection of coffee tables, cabinets and more in alluring woods such as walnut and mahogany and based on French furniture — was among the first mass-produced modern furniture made in America.
Johnson hired Lorenzo Rutili, a Carnegie Institute graduate who studied design in Europe, to lead the brand’s design division. Rutili oversaw 30 years of successful Johnson Furniture Co. collaborations with other notable designers including Paul Frankl, Eliel Saarinen, Bert England, J. Robert F. Swanson and Pipsam Saarinen Swanson. After wrapping up his tenure at Johnson, Rutili moved on to design furniture at Tomlinson in North Carolina.
During the 1960s, Kipp Stewart and Milo Baughman designed residential furnishings for Directional — a favorite of mid-century modern furniture enthusiasts — and Johnson produced these pieces, becoming the sole manufacturer for the North Carolina brand.
After a merger with Timberline Inc., Johnson Furniture Co. secured contracts for hotels, motels and university dormitories. In 1983, Johnson and Rose Manufacturing became RoseJohnson Inc. It was later purchased by La-Z-Boy.
On 1stDibs, find a collection of vintage Johnson Furniture Co. case pieces and storage cabinets, tables and other furniture.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Chicago, IL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Harvey Probber Bleached Ribbon Mahogany Long CabinetBy Harvey ProbberLocated in Chicago, ILHarvey Probber long, low credenza or sideboard with four ascending height drawers and pair of shelved cabinets measuring 16.5" wide x 21" high. Sleek conical brass pulls and dark mah...Category
Vintage 1950s American CredenzasMaterials
- Renzo Rutili Mahogany and White Micarta Chest-on-ChestBy Renzo Rutili, Johnson Furniture Co.Located in Chicago, ILRenzo Rutili for Johnson Furniture tall two-tiered gentleman's chest. Mahogany cases and drawer/door fronts with a white Micarta first tier top and four white Micarta sabots over lar...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Renzo Rutili Walnut Double-Sided Cabinet for Johnson FurnitureBy Renzo Rutili, Johnson Furniture Co.Located in Chicago, ILModern cabinet or sideboard in figural walnut by Renzo Rutili for Johnson furniture. The top section features double sliding glass doors and a split opening with closed cabinet and one open. To the back there is a small open cabinet...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Pace Collection Koa Wood and Polished Steel CabinetBy Pace CollectionLocated in Chicago, ILRare Pace Collection sideboard/cabinet in highly figured and iridescent fiddleback koa wood. Heavy polished steel frame supports the cabinet on every side with parsons style simplici...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian SideboardsMaterials
- Walnut and White Micarta Six-Drawer DresserLocated in Chicago, ILSix-drawer walnut dresser with recessed white lacquer drawer pull openings. Tapered solid walnut legs with white lacquered incision. White Micarta top. Could also function as a small...Category
Vintage 1960s American DressersMaterials
Lacquer, Laminate, Walnut
- Four Renzo Rutili Walnut and Upholstered Dining ChairsBy Johnson Furniture Co., Renzo RutiliLocated in Chicago, ILClean lines and figured walnut wood are the focal points of this set of 4 dining chairs by Renzo Rutili for Johnson Furniture. The three sides chairs and single armchair have three curved and rounded edged cross bars and the front legs have klismos style tops. The upholstery is a soft pink pin...Category
Vintage 1950s American Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Renzo Rutili for John Stuart Five-Drawer ChestsBy Renzo RutiliLocated in New York, NYWe are offering a matched pair of five-drawer chests designed by Renzo Rutili, for John Stuart. It is unusual and difficult to find a pair of High Boy form chests, however we are wil...Category
Vintage 1940s American Hollywood Regency DressersMaterials
- Midcentury John Keal for Brown-Saltman Low Credenza CabinetBy John KealLocated in Las Vegas, NVMidcentury four-door low cabinet designed by John Keal for Brown-Saltman. Gorgeous walnut grain throughout. Nickel-plated pulls and back plate. Exceptionally versatile piece of fur...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
Wood$2,470 Sale Price35% Off
- Orbitale Brass Chandelier 3 Rotating Balanced Arms, Stilnovo Style, Brass ShadesBy Silvio Piattelli, Arteluce, StilnovoLocated in Tavarnelle val di Pesa, FlorenceThis exquisite bespoke brass chandelier features three rotating arms skillfully balanced on a heavy cast brass sphere that rotate in an orbital movement along the stem. To achieve pe...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and...Materials
- Renzo Rutili For John Stuart Four Drawer Bachelors ChestBy Renzo RutiliLocated in New York, NYRenzo Rutili design for John Stuart Furniture. This example has a rich dark mahogany case, with light brown burl drawer fronts, and concentric squared form metal pulls. The dresser i...Category
Vintage 1940s American Hollywood Regency DressersMaterials
- Dorothy Draper Viennese Collection Ivory Chest with Gold Incised DrawersBy Dorothy Draper, HenredonLocated in Saint Louis, MOHollywood glamour then and now, this Viennese Collection chest of drawers was designed by the Queen of Hollywood Regency - Dorothy Draper - in the early 1960s and features solid brass rectangular pulls centered amidst incised rectangles set in an octagonal drawer front pattern, circa 1960. Dorothy Draper's incised pattern purposefully blurs the rectangular drawer fronts and instead focuses the admirer on the glamorous honeycomb pattern outlined in gold lacquer and finished with glowing solid brass drawer pulls. She transforms a large, functional three drawer chest into an artistic object with golden shapes and textures. The pattern also interlocks in pairs or sets of three, so these chests look especially grand in sets. The piece is finished on all sides which allows it to float in a room. As they say, the eye has to travel and this Dorothy Draper Viennese chest...Category
Vintage 1960s American Hollywood Regency DressersMaterials
- Karl Springer Goatskin Center TableBy Karl SpringerLocated in LOS ANGELES, CARound, sculptural, center or dining table by Karl Springer. Clad in Ivory colored goatskin, with high gloss lacquer finish.Category
Late 20th Century American Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Harvey Probber Mid-Century Modern Mahogany Chest of Drawers, Newly RestoredBy Harvey ProbberLocated in South Bend, INAn exceptional Mid-Century Modern mahogany four-drawer dresser chest By Harvey Probber USA, 1960s Measures: 36" W x 18.75" D x 30.25" H. Newly refinished. Excellent condi...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Restored Paul Frankl Combed Wood Chest of Drawers for Brown SaltmanBy Paul FranklLocated in Van Nuys, CAMid Century dresser by Paul Frankl for Brown Saltman company features his trademark combed wood sides with curled brass pulls.Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
Oak$2,944 Sale Price8% Off
- Pair Of Jackie Buffet Cabinets By E J Victor White Laquered Box DesignBy Ralph LaurenLocated in Stamford, CTA pair of Jackie Buffets by E J Victor for Jack Fhillips. These cabinets retail at $5,985 each. Each with a pair of shelved interior double doors unde...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Philippine Hollywood Regency BuffetsMaterials
- Large Bleached Mahogany Dresser by American of MartinsvilleBy American of MartinsvilleLocated in Los Angeles, CALarge bleached mahogany dresser by American of Martinsville. Stamped.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
- Renzo Rutili Storage Cabinet with Bench for Johnson FurnitureBy Johnson Furniture Co.Located in Van Nuys, CARenzo Rutili for Johnson Furniture Company chest with bench, circa late 1950s. This Asian influenced example has bleached wood doors and ebonize...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Renzo Rutili Credenza with Seating Bench for Johnson FurnitureBy Renzo Rutili, Johnson Furniture Co.Located in Los Angeles, CAGorgeous credenza designed by Renzo Rutili for Johnson Furniture in the United States circa 1950’s. Comprised of a walnut case, this newly refinished piece features white lacquered d...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Renzo Rutili for Johnson Furniture Walnut Cabinet CredenzaBy Renzo Rutili, Johnson Furniture CompanyLocated in Rio Vista, CARare Mid-Century Modern monumental three part cabinet or credenza designed by Renzo Rutili (Lorenzo R. Rutili American 1901-1966) for Johnson Furniture Co. Set of three walnut cases ...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modernist Long Black and White Lacquered Credenza Sideboard CabinetBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Stamford, CTMid-Century Modernist long black and white lacquered credenza sideboard cabinet. In the manner of Tommi Parzinger or Milo Baughman this fine custom quality cabinet has four drawers f...Category
Late 20th Century Hollywood Regency SideboardsMaterials
- Edward Wormley for Dunbar Mid Century Bleached Mahogany and Cane Front CredenzaBy Dunbar Furniture, Edward WormleyLocated in Countryside, ILEdward Wormley for Dunbar mid century Bleached Mahogany and Cane Front Credenza This credenza measures: 81.5 wide x 18.25 deep x 32...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Spectacular Restored Buffet or Credenza in Cream by Renzo Rutili, circa 1960By Johnson Furniture Co., Renzo RutiliLocated in Atlanta, GARenzo Rutili was a seminal furniture designer of the 20th century who is sometimes overlooked in retrospect. Much of his work is more sophisticated, cutting edge and downright fabulo...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern BuffetsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery