Marble Topped "Cinched" Oval Coffee Table by Barbara Barry for Henredon
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 17 in (43.18 cm)Width: 58 in (147.32 cm)Depth: 28 in (71.12 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:2010s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:San Diego, CA
- Reference Number:Seller: #27471stDibs: LU936632199552
Barbara Barry intends for her furniture designs to connect people to the splendor of the natural world around them. Her lounge chairs, tables and other pieces reflect the influence of the Hollywood Regency style as well as Barry’s admiration for organic materials and the subdued color palettes of the great outdoors. Simple and calming, her furniture is quietly elegant and has garnered Barry renown worldwide as a leader in interior design.
A native of California, Barry was surrounded by artists from the moment she was born and credits her mother with instilling a strong sense of confidence in her. Barry’s mother, a painter, encouraged her to nurture her creative impulses. The designer initially pursued a degree in art — she is an active painter today — but quickly eschewed the norms of formal education, leaving school to travel through Europe.
While traveling, Barry fell in love with the wines and cheeses of the cities she visited, inspiring her to open her own cheese shop in Mendocino upon her return to California. Her predilection for interior design quickly began to show itself as she went about setting up and running her store, and Barry began drawing designs for her own furniture. She moved to Los Angeles and established her own design firm in 1985.
Working with small local businesses to get her pieces made, she became more passionate about expressing herself through her furniture and quickly amassed a following for her work. Today, for its thoughtful merge of clean lines, 1940s Hollywood glamour and the soft palettes of the sea, sky and foliage of her state, her understated furniture is an international success.
Barry is expressly opposed to the use of patterns, opting instead for solid neutrals that pair well with warm brass or vintage bronze lighting fixtures and allow for the colors in a painting on the living room wall to pop. She is focused on bringing harmony and order into a space, and her minimalist designs — acid-washed mahogany side tables, armchairs with dark stained rattan backrests — are sought after by A-list celebrities, politicians and leading manufacturers alike. Barry has created exclusive furniture collections and home decor for legendary brands including Baker Furniture, McGuire Furniture Company and others.
Founded in 1945, Henredon is one of the more recently minted of the top-tier North Carolina furniture makers. Among collectors, Henredon is admired both for its sleek, sexy furniture of the 1970s and for its partnerships with noted designers, a program that started in the 1950s with decorating icon Dorothy Draper and architect Frank Lloyd Wright.
From the start, Henredon — the brand name is a portmanteau term, derived from the first names or initials of three of the company’s founders — has been best known for its vintage case pieces, such as cabinets, dressers, armoires and credenzas. Though not on the cutting edge stylistically, the company’s production has always kept pace with contemporary tastes. In 1953, Henredon began a collaboration with Dorothy Draper, famed for bravura interior design commissions such as the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco and the Greenbrier resort in West Virginia. Her taste for bold, modernized historical style is reflected in the incised baroque medallions of her España line and the geometric motif of her Viennese furnishings group.
In 1955, Henredon launched the Taliesin Ensemble by Wright, named after the architect’s houses in Wisconsin and Arizona. The pieces are recognizable by their angular shapes a dentil motif on their edges. In those years, Henredon had a cross-licensing agreement with the Heritage furniture company, and Draper and Wright furniture is usually labeled Heritage-Henredon.
In later decades, Henredon produced collections for such designers as Ralph Lauren and Laura Ashley. The company took a stylish turn in the 1970s, fabricating new and unusual forms like mirrored room dividers and console tables with rounded corners and burl-wood veneers. Such pieces are priced in the $3,000 to $4,000 range, as are chests of drawers by Draper. Wright furniture tends toward the higher end, priced around $7,000. As you will see on 1stDibs, Henredon was an aesthetically diverse maker, but its furniture commands attention and makes a statement in any eclectic decor.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Diego, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Caned Lounge Chair by Barbara Barry for McGuireBy Barbara Barry, McGuireLocated in San Diego, CAA very nice caned lounge chair by Barbara Barry for McGuire Furniture of San Francisco, circa 2006. The chair features a field of the caning ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American ArmchairsMaterials
- "La Fonda" Marble Top Coffee Table by Charles & Ray Eames for Herman MillerBy Herman Miller, Charles and Ray EamesLocated in San Diego, CAA gorgeous "La Fonda" coffee table designed by Charles and Ray Eames for Herman Miller with original Botticinno marble top and polished aluminum base, circa 1970s. This rare table wa...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- The "George" Oval Mosaic Coffee Table with Sunburst Top by Oly StudiosBy Oly StudioLocated in San Diego, CAThe "George" oval mosaic coffee table by Oly Studios, circa 2010. The table top is constructed from wood and resin veneer with a varied grey and silver cl...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- MCM Round Terrazzo Top Coffee Table by Erling Viksjo for A.S. CongloBy Erling Viksjø, AS Conglo DesignLocated in San Diego, CAA gorgeous round terrazzo top coffee table by Erling Viksjo for A.S. Conglo, circa 1960s. The table is made of various Norwegian stones and concrete with a thin brass band and sits on a wooden cube. Viksjø was a Norwegian architect and designer best known for his Brutalist architecture and furniture using concrete...Category
Mid-20th Century Norwegian Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Concrete, Marble, Stone, Brass
- Le Corbusier LC10 Coffee/End Table with Italian Carrera Marble TopBy Le CorbusierLocated in San Diego, CAGreat simple elegant design on this small coffee cocktail end table designed by Le Corbusier, circa the 1970s Made in Italy with custom made Italian Carrera Marble Top, chrome polish...Category
20th Century Italian Bauhaus Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Carrara Marble, Steel, Chrome
- Midcentury Bench / Coffee Table by John Van Koert for DrexelBy Drexel, John Van KoertLocated in San Diego, CAModernist bench or table by John Van Koert for Drexel, superior quality and construction. Scaled down version of the Classic dining table, simple, elegant design. solid and sturdy fr...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Marble Top Coffee Table Iron Base by Barbara Barry for Baker FurnitureBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Toledo, OHMarble top coffee table with iron base by Barbara Barry for Baker Furniture. Very nice condition. Marble is removeable. Dimensions: 32" depth x 48" W x 19" H.Category
20th Century North American Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- French Country Coffee Table by HenredonBy HenredonLocated in Lake Worth, FLFor FULL item description click on CONTINUE READING at the bottom of this page. Offering One Of Our Recent Palm Beach Estate Fine Furniture Acquisitions Of A Vintage French Country C...Category
Vintage 1970s Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Vintage Henredon Brass Ming Cocktail Coffee Table Glass TopBy HenredonLocated in West Palm Beach, FLVintage brass Henredon ming legs, coffee cocktail table with new glass top. Natural age patina to brass. Dimensions: 15.25 H x 44 W x 44 D.Category
Vintage 1970s American Chinoiserie Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Frank Lloyd Wright Marble Top “Taliesin” Coffee Table for Heritage-HenredonBy Frank Lloyd Wright, Heritage-HenredonLocated in Los Angeles, CARound marble top coffee table in Honduran mahogany designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for Heritage-Henredon in 1955. The beveled edge of th...Category
Vintage 1950s American Prairie School Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Henredon Georgian Mahogany Butler's Coffee TableBy HenredonLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous Chippendale or Georgian style butler's coffee table By Henredon USA, circa 1980s Beautiful mahogany, with brass hinges. Measures: 48"W x 36"D x 19.25"H. Ver...Category
Late 20th Century American Georgian Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Henredon Six-Legged 2-Tier Coffee TableBy HenredonLocated in Rockaway, NJMid-Century Modern mahogany bronze base / legs two-tier coffee table by Henredon. Very heavy and sturdy design table standing 25" tall for those who like to seat higher. Beveled glas...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials