- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Scandinavian Coffee Table by Designers Peter Hvidt and Orla Molgard Danish
- DimensionsHeight: 14.97 in (38 cm)Width: 23.63 in (60 cm)Depth: 57.09 in (145 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1960
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationLyon, FR
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU3066323499062
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Saint-Priest, France
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Hvidt & Mølgaard
Warm, exceptionally versatile and crafted with a range of appealing materials, vintage Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen furniture showcases the Danish duo’s penchant for innovation and durable design. For decades, the pair created sleek coffee tables, seductive lounge chairs and other pieces that are characterized by the practicality and elegance commonly attributed to Scandinavian modernism.
Both Hvidt and Mølgaard-Nielsen attended what is now the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, with Mølgaard-Nielsen having completed his studies under the Danish furniture design pioneer and architect Kaare Klint. Trained as an architect and cabinetmaker, Hvidt established his own firm in 1940 and taught at his alma mater for a few years. After they won a design competition held in Stockholm, Hvidt partnered with Mølgaard-Nielsen in 1944 to establish their firm in Copenhagen.
The collaboration between Hvidt and Mølgaard-Nielsen yielded more than 250 designs and lasted over 30 years. Aside from having created a wardrobe for the Queen of Denmark as well as numerous architectural structures, the pair’s flagship achievements include 1944’s teak Portex chair, which is Denmark’s first-ever stacking chair (and is occasionally attributed to Hvidt alone), and the AX chair.
A masterpiece of technical expertise and innovative woodworking, the sculptural AX armchair shares commonalities with the work of legendary Finnish designer Alvar Aalto — whose output included similarly curvaceous seating such as the Paimio armchair, often designed in partnership with his wife, Aino. It features double-curved laminated wood in the seat and back — which could be mass-produced — and is an early example of knock-down furniture. This meant that it could be easily dismantled and assembled at its destination, which rendered the chair economical for transport on cargo ships and therefore could reach a worldwide audience.
While vintage Hvidt & Mølgaard furniture isn’t as popular as the work of Finn Juhl, a like-minded Danish modernist who helped popularize Scandinavian design in America as well as the use of teak in furniture, the innovative AX chair is similarly as expressive and inviting as Juhl’s seating. The AX was designed in collaboration with manufacturer Fritz Hansen during the late 1940s and went into production in 1950. It gave way to a series that includes tables and other types of seating.
Hvidt and Mølgaard-Nielsen collaborated regularly with Fritz Hansen, France & Søn and Søborg Møbelfabrik. Their work can be found in New York’s Museum of Modern Art, Copenhagen’s Design Museum and the National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne.
- Rare Danish Coffee Table by Peter Hvidt and Orla Molgaard Scandinavian, F143By Peter Hvidt, Orla Mølgaard-NielsenLocated in Lyon, FRScandinavian coffee table by Danish designers Peter Hvidt and Oral Molgaard from the 1950s. Solid teak top and legs, with two lines of inlaid metal on each leg, which gives them even...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Danish Sideboard of Scandinavian Designers Peter Hvidt and Orla MolgaardBy Peter HvidtLocated in Lyon, FRDanish sideboard from the 1960s designed by Scandinavian designers Peter Hvidt and Orla Molgaard. Solid golden teak wood structure with a beautiful straight tail assembly. This sid...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Folke Ohlsson Scandinavian Coffee Table "Frisco" for Brabohag Tingstroms DanishBy Folke OhlssonLocated in Lyon, FRTeak Scandinavian 1960s coffee table.Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Center TablesMaterials
- Set of Four Scandinavian Chairs by Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard Nielsen DanishBy Peter HvidtLocated in Lyon, FRSet of four Scandinavian chairs by the famous Danish duo of designers Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard Nielsen made in the 50s. Structure in solid teak, seats refurbished to measure in ...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Italian Square Coffee Table Style Finn Julh Italian DesignBy Finn JuhlLocated in Lyon, FRItalian coffee table from the 60s in the style of designer Finn Julh. Square top in rosewood with bevelled edges, beautiful wood grain on the top. Chromed steel base with a reminder ...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Scandinavian Coffee Table in Teak, 1960s, DanishLocated in Lyon, FRGraphic coffee or sofa table made of teak Very good condition.Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern Sofa Tables
- 1950s Peter Hvidt & Orla Mölgaard “FD 516” Teak Coffee TableBy Peter Hvidt, France & Daverkosen, Orla Mølgaard-NielsenLocated in Madrid, ESTeak “FD 516” coffee table with braided rattan newspaper shelf with brass holders by Peter Hvidt & Orla Mölgaard for France & Daverkosen, Denmark, 1950s. Very good restored condition.Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Danish Design Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen Teak Coffee TableBy France & Søn, Hvidt & MølgaardLocated in VENLO, LIDanish Modern teak coffee table designed by top designer duo Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen for France & Son. Works of the duo are represented at the MOMA in New York, the Natio...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Coffee Table in Solid Rosewood by Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen, DenmarkBy Hvidt & Mølgaard, France & SønLocated in Goteborg, SEHigh quality coffee table in solid rosewood. Designed by the Danish architects Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen in 1956. This example has got an extra extension in black Formica...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Danish Coffee Table by Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard Nielsen, France Søn, 1960By Peter Hvidt, France & Søn, Orla Mølgaard-NielsenLocated in Berlin, DEVery beautiful coffee table designed by Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard Nielsen in teak wood and produced by France & Søn in the late 1960s. The table is in great condition with just li...Category
20th Century Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Coffee Table by Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard, France & Søn, 1960sBy Peter Hvidt, France & Søn, Orla Mølgaard-NielsenLocated in Helsinki, FICoffee Table designed by Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen in 1960s. Manufactured by France & Søn. Teak frame, rattan magazine rack, brass details. Good vintage condition, minor we...Category
Late 20th Century Finnish Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard Teak Coffee Table for France & Son, Denmark, 1960sBy Peter Hvidt, France & Søn, Orla Mølgaard-NielsenLocated in Hellouw, NLNice Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard teak coffee table for France & Son from Denmark the 1960s. This table has a minimalistic design, however is elegant due to the usage of the round e...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials