Marcel Breuer, Laccio Side Table Black Laminated Top with Tubular Chromed Base
About the Item
- Creator:Marcel Breuer (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 18 in (45.72 cm)Width: 21.5 in (54.61 cm)Depth: 19 in (48.26 cm)
- Style:Bauhaus (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1970s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Good condition, please refer to the detailed description and the photos.
- Seller Location:PAU, FR
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU6432227942762
The architect and designer Marcel Breuer was one the 20th century’s most influential and innovative adherents of modernism. A member of the Bauhaus faculty, Breuer — like such colleagues as the architects Walter Gropius and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, and the artists and art theoreticians László Moholy-Nagy and Josef Albers — left Europe in the 1930s to champion the new design philosophy and its practice in the United States.
Born in Hungary, Breuer became a Bauhaus student in 1920 and quickly impressed Gropius, the German school’s founder, with his aptitude for furniture design. His early work was influenced by the minimalist Dutch design movement De Stijl — in particular the work of architect Gerrit Rietveld. In 1925, while he was head of the Bauhaus furniture workshop, Breuer realized his signature innovation: the use of lightweight tubular-steel frames for chairs, tables and sofas — a technique soon adopted by Mies and others. Breuer’s attention gradually shifted from design to architecture, and, at the urging of Gropius, he joined his mentor in 1937 on the faculty of Harvard and in an architectural practice.
In the 1940s, Breuer opened his own architectural office, and there his style evolved from geometric, glass-walled structures toward a kind of hybrid architecture — seen in numerous Breuer houses in New England — that pairs bases of local fieldstone with sleek, wood-framed modernist upper floors. In his later, larger commissions, Breuer worked chiefly with reinforced concrete and stone, as seen in his best-known design, the brutalist inverted ziggurat built in New York in 1966 as the home of the Whitney Museum of American Art.
Breuer’s most famous furniture pieces are those made of tubular steel, which include the Wassily chair — named after Wassily Kandinsky and recognizable for its leather-strap seating supports — and the caned Cesca chair. Breuer also made several notable designs in molded plywood, including a chaise and nesting table for the British firm Isokon and a student furniture suite commissioned in 1938 for a dormitory at Bryn Mawr College. Whether in metal or wood, Breuer’s design objects are elegant and adaptable examples of classic modernist design — useful and appropriate in any environment.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: PAU, France
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Art Deco Tubular Chrome Desk/Library Black Top Table Attrib to Wolfgang HoffmannBy Wolfgang HoffmannLocated in PAU, FRStylish Art Deco tubular chrome desk or library table with black wooden top, attributed to Wolfgang Hoffmann. Chrome base with round corners, blac...Category
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco Center TablesMaterials
- Mario Buatta for John Widdicomb Regency Style Ebonized End TableBy John Widdicomb, Mario BuattaLocated in PAU, FRBeautiful eye-catching Regency style end table with paint decorated top and ebonized apron and legs with gilt rings, splayed feet, and brass reverse "C" stretchers, designed by Mario...Category
Late 20th Century American Regency End TablesMaterials
- Dunbar Walnut Coffee or End Table Model # 3374 by Edward WormleyBy Edward Wormley, Dunbar FurnitureLocated in PAU, FRElegant Dunbar walnut coffee or end table with triangle legs and black polished laminate top, model # 3374 designed by Edward Wormley. Original sticker with serial number under the...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- French Art Deco Style Wrought Iron Garden Cocktail or Side Table with Glass TopLocated in PAU, FRArt Deco style mat black painted wrought iron garden cocktail or side table with glass top. Very solid and heavy good quality construction.Category
20th Century French Art Deco Patio and Garden FurnitureMaterials
- Pair of Thonet Bar Stools with Red Wooden Base and Black Seats, circa 1930sBy Thonet, ThonetLocated in PAU, FRAn authentic pair of Thonet stools from the 1930s, marked on the underside with Thonet Logo and certificate. Red painted wooden base with chrome foot support and black faux leather ...Category
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco StoolsMaterials
- 19th Century French Louis XIII Style Walnut Side Table with Barley Twist LegsLocated in PAU, FR19th century French Louis XIII style square walnut side table raised on four exquisite barley twist legs. Detailed, carved stretchers with urn-shaped carved finial and brass ball and claw...Category
Antique 19th Century French Louis XIII Side TablesMaterials
- Pair Marcel Breuer Laccio Side Tables Black Laminated Top Tubular Chromed BaseBy Marcel BreuerLocated in Rockaway, NJPair Marcel Breuer Laccio side tables black laminated top tubular chromed base.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Marcel Breuer Laccio Side End Table for Knoll Studio Chrome and Black BauhausBy Knoll, Marcel BreuerLocated in New York, NYAn authentic Marcel Breuer Laccio side or end table for Knoll Studio, in the German Bauhaus style, circa late-20th century. Table has a black laminate top and tubular chrome frame. M...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Bauhaus End TablesMaterials
- Set of 3 Marcel Breuer Laccio Coffee and Side Tables Black Chrome Knoll StudioBy Knoll, Marcel BreuerLocated in Ft Lauderdale, FLSet of 3 Marcel Breuer Laccio Coffee and Side Tables Black Chrome Knoll Studio This exquisite set, comprised of a coffee table and a pair of side tables, showcases Marcel Breuer’s ic...Category
Late 20th Century American Bauhaus Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Marcel Breuer for Gavina / Knoll International White Mica Laccio EndBy Knoll, Marcel BreuerLocated in New York, NYAmerican International-Style (circa 1924) 'Laccio' end / occasional table with a white mica top supported on a chrome plated steel tube frame. (matching coffee table: DUF0019A) (MARC...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Gavina Chrome & Black Laminate Table a Marcel Breuer DesignBy Gavina, Marcel BreuerLocated in Toledo, OHGavina Chrome & black laminate table a Marcel Breuer Design. Chrome frame laminate top table. Marcel Breuer Design goes well with the Wassily Chair ...Category
Late 20th Century Side TablesMaterials
- Marcel Breuer 'Laccio' Side Table for Gavina, 1962By Marcel Breuer, GavinaLocated in Los Angeles, CAIconic, 'Laccio' side table developed by Bauhaus great Marcel Breuer in 1925 and manufactured in 1962 by Italy's Gavina. Has a black laminate top with a chrome frame. Original manufa...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials