- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Raoul Dufy Fauvist Art Deco Nude Painting
- CreatorRaoul Dufy (Artist)
- DimensionsHeight: 28 in (71.12 cm)Width: 31.5 in (80.01 cm)Depth: 2 in (5.08 cm)
- StyleArt Deco (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1939
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationDallas, TX
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1774229041572
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Dallas, TX
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Artist
Raoul Dufy was a renowned French Fauvist painter, famous for his colorful, decorative designs. He was born in Le Havre, Normandy, in 1877. Dufy had a simple upbringing, leaving school at 14 to work at a Brazilian coffee-importing company. His formal artistic education began when he was eighteen at Le Havre's École des Beaux-Arts, where he took evening art classes. He continued to paint within the purlieu of Le Havre and was greatly inspired by the Impressionist landscape painters Claude Monet and Camille Pissarro. In 1900, after serving in the military for one year, Dufy won a scholarship to the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris.
Dufy began painting watercolors of the Norman landscapes but was soon widely celebrated for his brightly colored and bold contoured paintings – in dialogue with the Fauvist style. He remained faithful to Fauvism until Paul Cézanne’s work guided him to embrace a subtler aesthetic. This new mode of sobriety saw his work return to a lighter style, which he celebrated through rapid inscription-like drawings over vivid backgrounds of color washes.
The rise of Cubism in Paris during the first two decades of the 20th century influenced him to develop a systematic approach that was later known as stenographics. Using this he experimented with foreshortened perspective, thin washes of paint and skeletal structures. In this style, he portrayed the lavish scenes of the French Riviera, leisureliness of the period, and chic revelries. Dufy was also fascinated by other amusements such as regattas, horse races and concerts and loved to depict the excitement and commotion of the crowds.
Dufy had his first exhibition in 1901 at the Salon des Artistes Français, following a string of exhibitions over the following years. In 1906 he took part in the Cercle de l’Art Moderne Exhibition in Le Havre with artists Georges Braque, Henri Matisse and Henri Charles Manguin. Dufy was given his first retrospective in 1921 at the Galerie Bernheim-Jeune and in 1932 his first painting was accepted into a national collection. He celebrated two large commissions for the 1937 Exposition Internationals des Artes et Techniques dans la Vie Moderne. The most notable of the two was the adornment for the Pavilion of Light and Electricity. He was commissioned with the task to illustrate the history of electricity from the classical era to its current position in 20th century developments. He painted La Fée électricité, a huge fresco which was donated to the Musée d’Art Moderne in 1964. In 1952 he represented France at the 26th Venice Biennale, where he won the Gran Premio. A year later he died aged 75, of polyarthritis, an illness he had been suffering from since 1937.
Find authentic Raoul Dufy prints, paintings and other art on 1stDibs.
(Biography provided by Stern Pissarro Gallery)
- Francisco Zuniga Original Pastel Nude Painting CataloguedBy Francisco ZunigaLocated in Dallas, TXFrancisco Zúñiga (Mexican, 1912-1998) Seated nude with extended legs. This woman with eyes heavy in meditation shows a myriad of emotions including humility, vulnerability and fatigu...Category
Vintage 1970s Mexican Modern PaintingsMaterials
- Emile Albert Gruppe “Nymphs” Oil Painting Nudes by a RiverBy Emile Albert GruppeLocated in Dallas, TXAn absolutely amazing post Impressionist painting with a cascade of bright colors showing nudes by a riverside with birch trees in the foreground and mountains in the background. Emi...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern PaintingsMaterials
- Andre Derain Female Nude Pencil DrawingBy André DerainLocated in Dallas, TXAndré Derain (1880-1954) nude female pencil drawing, circa 1935 Stamped with Atelier Oval “Andre Derain” Stamped on verso with the S. Knaublich André Derain sale stamp Pencil on pape...Category
Vintage 1930s French Aesthetic Movement PaintingsMaterials
- Maximilien Luce Paysage a Mericourt Large Oil Painting 1920By Maximilien LuceLocated in Dallas, TXMaximilin Luce (French, 1858-1941) A rather large oil painting by the master impressionist painter depicting the lime stone quarries in Mercourt outside of Paris circa 1920. Luce’s...Category
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco PaintingsMaterials
- Margaret Putnam Painting “Praise”By PutnamLocated in Dallas, TXMargaret Putnam (American/Texas 1913-1989) A Large painting "Praise" mixed media on Canvas board Dimensions: 40 Inches High x 60 Inches Wide; Framed: 42.5 Inches High x 62.5 Inches W...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern PaintingsMaterials
- Francisco Zuniga Original Painting “Brujeria”By Francisco ZunigaLocated in Dallas, TXFrancisco Zuniga, Mexican (1912-1998). 'Brujeria', sepia and black charcoal on paper. I spoke with Ariel Zuniga and he was very impressed by this painting saying three or more figure...Category
Vintage 1970s Mexican Aesthetic Movement PaintingsMaterials
- Mid Century Raoul Dufy Style Oil on Canvas PaintingLocated in Bradenton, FLMid Century Raoul Dufy Style Painting Signed Rothwell 67. Brightly Colored Paris City Scene, Oil on Canvas. Canvas size 26'' x 39'', signed lower right and dated '67, high end gilded...Category
Mid-20th Century Modern PaintingsMaterials
- Nude Oil Painting, Nude Woman Oil Painting, Art Déco, Fernand MajorelBy Fernand MajorelLocated in Breganze, VIThis is an Art Déco nude woman oil painting. This oil painting on canvas has a carved and lacquered wooden frame. This nude oil art work, XX Century is signed by F. Majorel, a fr...Category
Early 20th Century French Art Deco PaintingsMaterials
- Art Deco Nude Posing PaintingLocated in Douglas Manor, NY#5-2678 nude posing by G.Pascal La Rocca, a vintage figurative oil on canvas. Unframed.Category
Vintage 1920s PaintingsMaterials
Paint$1,250 Sale Price30% Off
- Amazing Raoul Dufy Aubusson Tapestry- SignedBy Raoul DufyLocated in Brooklyn, NYBeautiful, surrealistic design from important early 20th century French modernist painter Raoul Dufy. Titled "La Chevauchee" Signed on the front and cloth label on back. Silkscreen p...Category
Vintage 1940s French TapestriesMaterials
- Olympia Signed Hilgers Painting 1930 Art Deco NudeLocated in Marseille, FROil on canvas painting signed Hilgers bottom right. 1930s, depicting a young woman naked kind of Olympia in the Art Deco style.Category
Mid-20th Century French Art Deco PaintingsMaterials
- Art Decò Style Signed Italian Nude of Woman PaintingLocated in Roma, ITImportant miniature representing a beautiful nude of a woman painted in the waves of the sea. Signed M. Poggesi, Italian artist of the first half of the 19th century. Elegant handmad...Category
Vintage 1930s Art Deco PaintingsMaterials