Raoul Dufy Fauvist Art Deco Nude Painting
About the Item
- Creator:Raoul Dufy (Artist)
- Dimensions:Height: 28 in (71.12 cm)Width: 31.5 in (80.01 cm)Depth: 2 in (5.08 cm)
- Style:Art Deco (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1939
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Dallas, TX
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1774229041572
Raoul Dufy was a renowned French Fauvist painter, famous for his colorful, decorative designs. He was born in Le Havre, Normandy, in 1877. Dufy had a simple upbringing, leaving school at 14 to work at a Brazilian coffee-importing company. His formal artistic education began when he was eighteen at Le Havre's École des Beaux-Arts, where he took evening art classes. He continued to paint within the purlieu of Le Havre and was greatly inspired by the Impressionist landscape painters Claude Monet and Camille Pissarro. In 1900, after serving in the military for one year, Dufy won a scholarship to the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris.
Dufy began painting watercolors of the Norman landscapes but was soon widely celebrated for his brightly colored and bold contoured paintings – in dialogue with the Fauvist style. He remained faithful to Fauvism until Paul Cézanne’s work guided him to embrace a subtler aesthetic. This new mode of sobriety saw his work return to a lighter style, which he celebrated through rapid inscription-like drawings over vivid backgrounds of color washes.
The rise of Cubism in Paris during the first two decades of the 20th century influenced him to develop a systematic approach that was later known as stenographics. Using this he experimented with foreshortened perspective, thin washes of paint and skeletal structures. In this style, he portrayed the lavish scenes of the French Riviera, leisureliness of the period, and chic revelries. Dufy was also fascinated by other amusements such as regattas, horse races and concerts and loved to depict the excitement and commotion of the crowds.
Dufy had his first exhibition in 1901 at the Salon des Artistes Français, following a string of exhibitions over the following years. In 1906 he took part in the Cercle de l’Art Moderne Exhibition in Le Havre with artists Georges Braque, Henri Matisse and Henri Charles Manguin. Dufy was given his first retrospective in 1921 at the Galerie Bernheim-Jeune and in 1932 his first painting was accepted into a national collection. He celebrated two large commissions for the 1937 Exposition Internationals des Artes et Techniques dans la Vie Moderne. The most notable of the two was the adornment for the Pavilion of Light and Electricity. He was commissioned with the task to illustrate the history of electricity from the classical era to its current position in 20th century developments. He painted La Fée électricité, a huge fresco which was donated to the Musée d’Art Moderne in 1964. In 1952 he represented France at the 26th Venice Biennale, where he won the Gran Premio. A year later he died aged 75, of polyarthritis, an illness he had been suffering from since 1937.
Find authentic Raoul Dufy prints, paintings and other art on 1stDibs.
(Biography provided by Stern Pissarro Gallery)
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Dallas, TX
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Francisco Zuniga Original Pastel Nude Painting CataloguedBy Francisco ZúñigaLocated in Dallas, TXFrancisco Zúñiga (Mexican, 1912-1998) Seated nude with extended legs. This woman with eyes heavy in meditation shows a myriad of emotions including humility, vulnerability and fatigue. The figure makes the viewer appreciate those who do all the mundane and heavy lifting service work for us teaching us sympathy and empathy. Another very powerful work by Zuniga worthy of any art space. Black and sepia Conté Crayons made from a blend of natural pigments, kaolin clay, and graphite on paper. Signed and dated lower left: Zúñiga / 1975 Ariel Zúñiga personally confirmed the authenticity of this drawing when I acquired it. This painting will be included in his forthcoming Francisco Zúñiga: Catalogue Raisonné, Volume V. Sheet Size: 19-5/8 x 25-1/2 inches (49.8 x 64.8 cm) Framed Dimensions 28.5 X 34 Inches Condition: Excellent original condition. Sheet hinged to mat; pinholes to the corner, inherent to the works creation. Original solid wood frame with wear and touch ups. AVANTIQUES is dedicated to providing an exclusive curated collection of Fine Arts, Paintings, Bronzes, Asian treasures, Art Glass and Antiques. Our inventory represents time-tested investment quality items with everlasting decorative beauty. We look forward to your business and appreciate any reasonable offers. All of our curated items are vetted and guaranteed authentic and as described. Avantiques only deals in original antiques and never reproductions. We stand behind our treasures with a full money back return if the items are not as described. José Jesús Francisco Zúñiga Chavarría (December 27, 1912 – August 9, 1998) was a Costa Rican-born Mexican artist, known both for his painting and his sculpture. Journalist Fernando González Gortázar lists Zúñiga as one of the 100 most notable Mexicans of the 20th century, while the Encyclopædia Britannica calls him "perhaps the best sculptor" of the Mexican political modern style. Zúñiga was born in Guadalupe, Barrio de San José, Costa Rica on December 27, 1912 to Manuel Maria Zúñiga and María Chavarría, both sculptors. His father worked as a sculptor of religious figures, and in stone work. His artistic inclinations began early and by the age of twelve had already read books on the history of art, artistic anatomy and the life of various Renaissance painters. At age fifteen he began working in his father’s shop. This experience sensitized him to shape and spaces. In 1926 he enrolled in the Escuela de Bellas Artes in Mexico, but left the following year to continue on his own. As part of his self-study, he studied German Expressionism and the writings of Alexander Heilmayer, through which he learned of the work of two French sculptors, Aristide Maillol and Auguste Rodin, coming to appreciate the idea of subordinating technique to expression. Zúñiga’s painting and sculpting work began receiving recognition in 1929. His first stone sculpture won second prize at the Exposición Nacional de Bellas Artes. In the following two years continued to win top prizes at this event. This work made critics recommend him for study abroad. He won first prize in a 1935 Latin American sculpture competition, the Salón de Escultura en Costa Rica, for his stone sculpture La maternidad, but the work caused controversy and the government rescinded its award. In the 1930s, he began to research pre Hispanic art and its importance to contemporary Latin American art, as well as what was happening artistically in Mexico. The scholarship never materialized so various colleagues organized his first individual exhibition in Costa Rica. The earnings from this endeavor earned his passage to Mexico City. In 1936 he immigrated to Mexico permanently. In the capital, his first contact with Manuel Rodríguez...Category
Vintage 1970s Mexican Modern PaintingsMaterials
- Emile Albert Gruppe “Nymphs” Oil Painting Nudes by a RiverBy Emile Albert GruppeLocated in Dallas, TXAn absolutely amazing post Impressionist painting with a cascade of bright colors showing nudes by a riverside with birch trees in the foreground and mountains in the background. Emi...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern PaintingsMaterials
- Andre Derain Female Nude Pencil DrawingBy André DerainLocated in Dallas, TXAndré Derain (1880-1954) nude female pencil drawing, circa 1935 Stamped with Atelier Oval “Andre Derain” Stamped on verso with the S. Knaub...Category
Vintage 1930s French Aesthetic Movement PaintingsMaterials
- Henri Matisse Drawing Of A Nude Torso From Matisse EstateBy Henri MatisseLocated in Dallas, TXHenri Matisse (French 1869-1954) Pencil Drawing Of A nude torso Catalogued as Number Z 542 in the Artist Archives Pencil on paper, c. 1900. Sheet: 9 3/8 x 11 3/4 in. Framed: 22...Category
Antique Early 1900s French Aesthetic Movement PaintingsMaterials
- Henri Matisse Pencil Of Nude By Chair From Matisse EstateBy Henri MatisseLocated in Dallas, TXHenri Matisse Original Pencil On Paper Study Of A Standing Nude Next To Chair Pencil on paper Unsigned. Sheet: 8.85 x 13.75 Inches Framed: 25....Category
Antique Early 1900s French Modern PaintingsMaterials
- Margaret Putnam Painting “Praise”By PutnamLocated in Dallas, TXMargaret Putnam (American/Texas 1913-1989) A Large painting "Praise" mixed media on Canvas board Dimensions: 40 Inches High x 60 Inches Wide; Framed: 42.5 Inches High x 62.5 Inches Wide. Condition: Original condition. Some wear to frame with pinched corners on board. Provenance: Roughton Galleries, Dallas Tx. AVANTIQUES is dedicated to providing an exclusive curated collection of Fine Arts, Paintings, Bronzes, Asian treasures, Art Glass and Antiques. Our inventory represents time-tested investment quality items with everlasting decorative beauty. We look forward to your business and appreciate any reasonable offers. All of our curated items are vetted and guaranteed authentic and as described. Avantiques only deals in original antiques and never reproductions. We stand behind our treasures with a full money back returns if the items are not as described. Margaret Putnam left an artistic legacy, rare even in the art world. Revered for her innovative techniques and inimitable style, prior to her death in 1989, her renown continues today. She was a 20th century woman with a Renaissance soul, who lavished her work with brilliant color, always making and breaking the rules to achieve her desired effect. An explorer, Putnam was essentially self-taught; no other artist shared the vision that she possessed. She worked in oil, watercolor, wax resist, casein, and pastel, exploring new avenues, developing new techniques, combining mediums, and creating a unique style, instantly recognizable, unlike any other. A background in fashion illustration was evident in the color, texture, and design that adorned both male and female figures. In abstract work, there was always a keen but unique sense of design. She worked over 8 hours a day, 363 days a year. "It's an exciting process," she says. "The picture keeps changing in my mind and changing in my fingers as I work and worry over the painting. I believe the artist's vision changes as you try to capture it. It's not as though you see it all perfectly from the beginning. You add here, subtract there, and keep on adjusting till it's right. There are many decisions along the way." Margaret Putman Even after becoming partially paralyzed from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern PaintingsMaterials
- 1960s Raoul Dufy Venice Gouache on PaperBy Raoul DufyLocated in Lake Worth Beach, FLRaoul Dufy "Venice" gouache on paper. Nice new wood frame included. Framed size: 26" x 33" Image size: 16.5" x 23.5".Category
Vintage 1960s French Modern PaintingsMaterials
- A 20th Century Gouache Painting - Raoul Dufy Flowers Design for Bianchini FerierBy Raoul DufyLocated in Basingstoke, HampshireA striking Gouache painting by Raoul Dufy (1877-1953) Design for a pattern for Bianchini-Férier dating from the early 20th century. Depicting vivid floral arrangements - of triangul...Category
Early 20th Century PaintingsMaterials
- Mid Century Raoul Dufy Style Oil on Canvas PaintingLocated in Bradenton, FLMid Century Raoul Dufy Style Painting Signed Rothwell 67. Brightly Colored Paris City Scene, Oil on Canvas. Canvas size 26'' x 39'', signed lower righ...Category
Mid-20th Century Modern PaintingsMaterials
- “Baigneuse” by Raoul Dufy EtchingBy Raoul DufyLocated in Lake Worth Beach, FLBeautiful etching by Raoul Dufy named "Baigneuse". This piece is signed in plate and includes a certificate of authenticity. Custom framed in cerused oak. For the Francophile!. Ar...Category
Vintage 1960s French Modern PrintsMaterials
Glass, Oak, Paper
- Amazing Raoul Dufy Aubusson Tapestry- SignedBy Raoul DufyLocated in Brooklyn, NYBeautiful, surrealistic design from important early 20th century French modernist painter Raoul Dufy. Titled "La Chevauchee" Signed on the front and cloth label on back. Silkscreen p...Category
Vintage 1940s French TapestriesMaterials
- Normandy Countryside Scene by Raoul DufyBy Raoul DufyLocated in Lake Worth Beach, FLGorgeous Normandy scene by Raoul Dufy. Lovely field of Normandy wheat. This lithograph has incredible color details and the white washed frame is elega...Category
Vintage 1950s French French Provincial PrintsMaterials
Paper, Glass, Wood