- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Hermès Chaine D'ancre Sterling Silver Unisex Bracelet, circa 1995
About the Item
Custom ServicesWe are pleased to offer custom engraving to this piece
- Weight:2.02 t oz
- Dimensions:Width: 1.575 in (40 mm)Length: 9.055 in (230 mm)
- Place of Origin:France
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1995
- Seller Location:Valenza, IT
- Reference Number:Seller: Hermès 1995 sterling silver chaine d'ancre bracelet, Unisex size1stDibs: LU584318141912
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Valenza, Italy
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery. Please be advised, certain types of customizations are not eligible for returns.
- Hermès Chaine D' Ancre Yellow Gold Bracelet Large Size, circa 1995By HermèsLocated in Valenza, ITChic yet Timeless, absolutely Iconic Hermès 18K Yellow Gold Chaine d'Ancre Bracelet, a rare 1990's stunning piece here declined in the large scale model. The story of this bracelet b...Category
1990s French Contemporary Modern BraceletsMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$29,774Free Shipping
- Berca Original 1970 Unisex Handcrafted Solid Silver BraceletBy Berca AtelierLocated in Valenza, ITChic yet Timeless, a 1970 Classic Piece, Solid Handcrafted, Hand Welded Silver Bracelet. In our smart Black Box and Pouch. Bracelet Weight: Troy Ounces 3.56 Lenght: 7.87 inches We...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern Modern BraceletsMaterials
- Pomellato Solid Sterling Silver Gourmette Bracelet, circa 2010By PomellatoLocated in Valenza, ITChic yet Timeless, absolutely Iconic Sterling Silver Gourmette Pomellato Bracelet manufactured in Milan Pomellato Atelier before 2014. This piece is still in perfect, excellent con...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Contemporary Modern BraceletsMaterials
Sterling Silver$1,047Free Shipping
- One of a Kind Original 1980s Pomellato Sterling Silver Sculptural BraceletBy PomellatoLocated in Valenza, ITExtremely Rare, Stunning Sterling Silver Pomellato Bracelet: less than ten pieces of this Complicated, Sculptural Model were Hand Crafted in Pomellato Atelier in 1981. Massive in sca...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Contemporary Modern BraceletsMaterials
Sterling Silver$1,654Free Shipping
- Original 1990's Yellow Sapphire Yellow Gold Iconic Pomellato Gourmette BraceletBy PomellatoLocated in Valenza, ITOne-of-a-kind, Extra-ordinary, Original 90’s(July 1998) Chic and absolutely Timeless Pomellato Famous Gourmette Bracelet, here declined in the most precious Estrema version, a beauti...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Contemporary Modern BraceletsMaterials
Yellow Sapphire, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$16,541Free Shipping
- Berca Original 1950s Reverse Painting under Crystal Sterling Silver BraceletLocated in Valenza, ITEssex or Reverse Painting Under Crystal Bracelet in five different motifs. The multicolor paintings create a beautiful three-dimensional effect. Giovanni Berca loved Essex Crystal an...Category
20th Century Italian Modern Retro BraceletsMaterials
Crystal, Sterling Silver$1,654 Sale Price21% OffFree Shipping
- Hermes Paris Chain D'ancre Links Bracelet in Solid .925 Sterling Silver with BoxBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLChain D'Ancre designed by Hermes. This is one of the most iconic pieces created by the luxury house of Hermes. This chain d'ancre bracelet was crafted in Paris France in solid sterl...Category
1990s French Modernist Link BraceletsMaterials
Sterling Silver, Silver
- Long 18K White Gold Diamond Wedding Tennis Necklace, Diamond Link NecklaceBy VR JewelsLocated in Houston, TXDiamond Necklace in 18K Gold studded with round cut diamonds. This gorgeous diamond necklace can be worn by the bridesmaid on wedding or any other occasion. This gorgeous diamond nec...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Art Deco Link NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, White Gold$14,136 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- 1.45ct Natural Diamond E-F 14k White Gold BraceletBy Alegra's LegendLocated in Ramat Gan, ILThis classic and elegant 14kt white gold tennis bracelet showcases 100 endlessly sparkling diamonds, totaling 1.45carat. This bracelet will give your favorite outfits unforgettable s...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Israeli Tennis BraceletsMaterials
Diamond, 14k Gold, White Gold$1Free Shipping
- Hermes Bracelet Design by Georges Lenfant Small Links Modernist Anchor ChainBy HermèsLocated in Vannes, FRHermes Bracelet with small links modernist anchor chain Yellow Gold With its beautifully engraved herringbone woven surface, this bracelet with small gold links is very sought after...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Modernist Chain BraceletsMaterials
Yellow Gold, Gold, 18k Gold$19,408 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- 1995 Vintage CHANEL Gold Toned Chain Necklace CC No.5 Camellia 190cmBy ChanelLocated in Bangkok, THThis vintage CHANEL long chain necklace is crafted of gold toned chain interlaced with black leather and adorned with 18 Chanel’s iconic CC Camellia No.5 Clover Lion motifs. Slip on ...Category
1990s French Chain Necklaces$4,895Free Shipping
- Hermes Modernist Chaine D'ancre Gold Toggle Large Link BraceletBy HermèsLocated in Greenwich, CTBold and uncompromising this Hermes Paris modernist 'chaine d'ancre' toggle large link bracelet is the statement piece you have been searching for. With 12 links weighing 110 grams,...Category
1990s French Modernist Link BraceletsMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold
- Hermes Chaine D'Ancre Gold BraceletBy HermèsLocated in Lambertville, NJ18k yellow gold bracelet crafted by Hermes for the Chain D'Ancre collection. Bracelet measures 7 3/4" long. Marked: Hermes, Paris, French gold punch mark ( markings are faint due to ...Category
20th Century European Link BraceletsMaterials
- Hermes Paris Modernist Chaine d'Ancre Gold Toggle Medium Link BraceletBy HermèsLocated in Greenwich, CTBold and uncompromising this Hermes Paris modernist 'chaine d'ancre' toggle medium link bracelet is the statement piece you have been searching for. With 11 links weighing 72 grams,...Category
1990s French Modernist Link BraceletsMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold
- Hermes Chaine d'Ancre Bracelet Medium Model 18k Yellow GoldBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers an Hermes Chaine d'Ancre MM Bracelet featured in 18k Yellow Gold. No longer produced in yellow gold, this beauty is a great find for an avid Hermes collector! Toggl...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Link BraceletsMaterials
Yellow Gold$38,780Free Shipping
- Hermes Chaine d'Ancre Passerelle Cuff Rose Gold Bangle BraceletBy HermèsLocated in Holland, PA18k Rose Gold Chaine d'Ancre Passerelle Cuff Bangle Bracelet by Hermes. Details: Size: Length: 6" Size: SH small Weight: 40 grams Width: 1.15" Stamped Hallmarks: Hermes 750 18S0471...Category
2010s French Cuff BraceletsMaterials
Rose Gold$7,000Free Shipping
- Alex Jona Yellow Gold Chaine d'Ancre Marine Link Chain BraceletBy Alex JonaLocated in Torino, ITAlex Jona design collection, hand crafted in Italy, 18K yellow gold chaine d'ancre marine link chain bracelet. Dimensions: W 0.40in/10.24mm, L 7.4in/19cm, D 0.11in/2.80mm. Alex Jona...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Chain BraceletsMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$4,852 / itemFree Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery