Hermès Chaine D'ancre Sterling Silver Unisex Bracelet, circa 1995
View Similar Items
Hermès Chaine D'ancre Sterling Silver Unisex Bracelet, circa 1995
Custom ServicesWe are pleased to offer custom engraving to this piece
- Weight:1.94 t oz
- Dimensions:Width: 1.575 in (40 mm)Length: 8.267 in (209.99 mm)
- Place of Origin:France
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1995
- Seller Location:Valenza, IT
- Reference Number:Seller: Hermès 1995 sterling silver chaine d'ancre bracelet, Unisex size1stDibs: LU584320417522
About the Designer
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
About the Maker
- Hermès Chaine D'ancre Sterling Silver Female Bracelet, circa 1995By HermèsLocated in Valenza, ITChic yet Timeless, absolutely Iconic Hermès Sterling Silver Chaine d'Ancre Bracelet, circa 1995. The story of this piece began more than 80 years ago, in 1938, when Robert Dumas, a m...Category
1990s French Contemporary Modern BraceletsMaterials
Sterling Silver$1,426Free Shipping
- Hermès Chaine D'ancre Sterling Silver Necklace, circa 1995By HermèsLocated in Valenza, ITChic yet Timeless, absolutely Iconic, Rare, Hermès Solid Sterling Silver Chaine d'Ancre Necklace, circa 1995. The story of this piece began more than 80 years ago, in 1938, when Robe...Category
1990s French Contemporary Chain NecklacesMaterials
Sterling Silver$3,073Free Shipping
- Berca Original 1970 Unisex Handcrafted Solid Silver BraceletBy Berca AtelierLocated in Valenza, ITChic yet Timeless, a 1970 Classic Piece, Solid Handcrafted, Hand Welded Silver Bracelet. In our smart Black Box and Pouch. Bracelet Weight: Troy Ounces 3.56 Lenght: 7.87 inches We...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern Modern BraceletsMaterials
- One of a Kind Original 1980s Pomellato Sterling Silver Sculptural BraceletBy PomellatoLocated in Valenza, ITExtremely Rare, Stunning Sterling Silver Pomellato Bracelet: less than ten pieces of this Complicated, Sculptural Model were Hand Crafted in Pomellato Atelier in 1981. Massive in sca...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Contemporary Modern BraceletsMaterials
Sterling Silver$1,646Free Shipping
- Berca Natural Malachite Solid Sterling Silver Handcrafted Bangle BraceletBy Berca AtelierLocated in Valenza, ITChic yet Timeless, a contemporary classic Piece, Natural Hand Inlaid Malachite Oval Cut, two natural round ruby in a Solid Handcrafted, Sterling Silver Bangle Bracelet Setting. In ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Contemporary BanglesMaterials
Malachite, Ruby, Silver, Sterling Silver$1,042Free Shipping
- Pomellato Solid Sterling Silver Gourmette Chocker Necklace, circa 2010By PomellatoLocated in Valenza, ITChic yet Timeless, absolutely Iconic Sterling Silver Gourmette Pomellato Chocker Necklace Handcrafted in Milan Pomellato Atelier before 2014. Two Gourmette Bracelets join to form an ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Contemporary Choker NecklacesMaterials
Sterling Silver$1,865Free Shipping
- Hermès Chaîne d'Ancre Gold Bracelet By Georges LenfantBy CartierLocated in PARIS, FRHermès "Chaîne d'ancre" bracelet in 18Kt yellow gold (hallmark: eagle's head) with an engraved herringbone woven surface. Easy and secure closure with a stick clasp. George Lenfant f...Category
Vintage 1960s Chain BraceletsMaterials
- Hermes Paris Modernist Chaine d'Ancre Gold Toggle Medium Link BraceletBy HermèsLocated in Greenwich, CTBold and uncompromising this Hermes Paris modernist 'chaine d'ancre' toggle medium link bracelet is the statement piece you have been searching for. With 11 links, this polished 18 ...Category
Vintage 1980s French Modernist Link BraceletsMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold$35,000Free Shipping
- Hermes D'ancre Unisex Sterling Silver Heavy Link Chain Bracelet w/ Toggle ClaspBy HermèsLocated in Montclair, NJMaterial: Solid .925 Sterling Silver Weight: 116.27 Grams Bracelet Type: Link Bracelet Length: Will comfortably fit up to a 9.5 inch wrist (Fitted on a wrist) Clasp: Toggle Clasp Cha...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Link BraceletsMaterials
Sterling Silver$2,156 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Chain Bracelet “Chaine D'ancre” in 18 Karat Yellow GoldLocated in Lucerne, CHExquisite gold bracelet, inspired by the iconic "chaine d'ancre" style. In French, "chaine d'ancre" means "anchor chain" and it was first introduced by Hermès in the early 1930s. The design was inspired by the anchor chains used...Category
Late 20th Century French Modern Chain BraceletsMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$9,200Free Shipping
- Alex Jona Yellow Gold Chaine d'Ancre Marine Link Chain BraceletBy Alex JonaLocated in Torino, ITAlex Jona design collection, hand crafted in Italy, 18K yellow gold chaine d'ancre marine link chain bracelet. Dimensions: W 0.40in/10.24mm, L 7.4in/19cm, D 0.11in/2.80mm. Alex Jona...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Chain BraceletsMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$4,829 / itemFree Shipping
- Hermes H d'Ancre Diamonds 18k Rose Gold BraceletBy HermèsLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2The Hermes H d'Ancrebracelet is a luxurious and exquisite piece of jewelry. Crafted from stunning 18k rose gold, it features sparkling diamonds, adding a touch of elegance and sophis...Category
2010s Modern Bracelets$6,560Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
This Hermès Baseball Bag Is, Ahem, a Home Run
The beloved Bolide, one of the luxury house’s classic travel pieces, gets a playful spin in this 2018 special edition.