Tiffany & Co. Jean Schlumberger Olive Earrings
About the Item
- Weight:11.6 g
- Dimensions:Width: 0.65 in (16.5 mm)Length: 0.46 in (11.5 mm)
- Place of Origin:United States
- Date of Manufacture:1970
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Miami, FL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1869219993612
Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co.
Jewelry designer Jean Schlumberger once said that he strived to “make everything look as if it were growing, uneven, at random, organic, in motion.” His jewels interpreted the vitality of the natural world with lively designs that included a moonstone-topped jellyfish brooch with sapphire tentacles exuding a watery shimmer and a ring encrusted with a burst of diamonds that “bloomed” like a flower bud.
A self-taught jeweler, Schlumberger’s mastery of color as well as his expertise as a draftsman brought his fantastic ideas to life. Born to a leading textile manufacturing family in Alsace, France, Schlumberger took to drawing as a child and showed promise as an artist, but his parents instead sent him to study banking in Berlin in the 1930s. Uninspired, he departed for Paris and began creating buttons for Italian fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli, who also commissioned him for costume jewelry.
One of Schlumberger’s early pieces — a cigarette lighter in the form of a fish whose head opened to reveal the flame — demonstrated his skill for capturing the vivacity of nature in precious metal. The designer’s imaginative jewelry was in contrast to popular geometric lines of Art Deco, an independent vision he affirmed in the extravagant 1941 Trophée de Vaillance brooch created for fashion editor Diana Vreeland. An extravagant confection of diamonds, amethyst, rubies and gold, the brooch featured gemstones adorning an intricate intersection of tiny spears and a breastplate over a glittering shield.
After serving in the French army and the Free French forces during World War II — and surviving the Battle of Dunkirk — Schlumberger left war-torn Europe for New York and in 1946 established a jewelry salon with Nicolas Bongard. There, his vibrant work caught the eye of Tiffany & Co. After joining the American luxury jewelry house in 1956, he soon had his own studio on the mezzanine of Tiffany’s Fifth Avenue store that he accessed by a private elevator. In his workshop, Schlumberger used a rainbow of gemstones, gold and diamonds to create some of the company’s most beguiling designs.
From striking earrings shaped like soaring wings to diamond birds perched on glittering gemstones, each of Schlumberger’s Tiffany designs dazzled. His supporters included Bunny Mellon, whose love for horticulture inspired commissions such as the Jasmine necklace with diamond blossoms flowering from a garland of colored sapphires, and Jacqueline Kennedy, who wore his Croisillon bracelets so often they became known as “Jackie bracelets.” Schlumberger retired from Tiffany in the late 1970s, but decades after his designs were introduced many of his popular pieces remain in production.
On 1stDibs, find an extraordinary range of vintage Jean Schlumberger jewelry designed for Tiffany & Co.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Miami, FL
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Tiffany & Co. Open Heart Diamond Stud Earrings by Elsa Peretti.By Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.Located in Miami, FLOffered here is an authentic Tiffany & Co. open heart stud earrings adorned with top quality diamonds. Made in solid 18 karat yellow gold, with pushbacks for pierced ears. The simple...Category
2010s Spanish Contemporary Stud EarringsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold
- Van Cleef & Arpels Vintage 18kt Gold & Diamond EarringLocated in Miami, FLVan Cleef & Arpels Vintage 18kt Yellow Gold & Diamond Earrings, Circa 1960. Diamonds: 18 natural round brilliant cut diamonds with an estimated total weight of 0.80 ct. weight: thi...Category
Vintage 1960s French Retro Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold
- Tiffany & Co. 1990's Link Bracelet, 18kt Gold ItalyBy Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.Located in Miami, FLOffered here is a Tiffany & Co. 18kt Gold Marquise Bracelet - 1990, Italy - 7.50" inches in length. Elevate your style with this iconic Tiffany & Co. bracelet. Crafted in 18kt yello...Category
1990s Italian Contemporary Charm BraceletsMaterials
Gold, 18k GoldFree Shipping
- 8.82 Ct Ruby & Diamond Earrings in 18kt White GoldLocated in Miami, FLOffered here is a perfectly matched pair of natural earth mined Ruby Diamond Earrings in 18kt gold. Diamonds: 20 natural round brilliant cut diamonds with an estimated total weight o...Category
2010s American Contemporary Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, 18k Gold, White GoldFree Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. Authentic Open Round Key Pendant - 18kt Rose GoldBy Angela Cummings for Tiffany & Co.Located in Miami, FLTiffany & Co. Authentic Open Round Key Pendant - 18kt Rose Gold Unlock elegance with the iconic Tiffany & Co. Open Round Key Pendant in exquisite 18kt rose gold. This timeless piece...Category
Early 2000s American Contemporary Pendant NecklacesMaterials
18k Gold, Rose Gold
- Tiffany & Co. Diamond Clover Leaf Key Pendant in 18kt Yellow Gold , Box incl.Located in Miami, FLOffered here is a Tiffany & Co. Clover Leaf Key Pendant in 18kt yellow gold with diamonds. Brilliant beacons of optimism and hope, Tiffany keys are radiant symbols of a bright futur...Category
2010s American Contemporary Pendant NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co. Gold EarringsBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Atlanta, GAThe iconic French designer Jean Schlumberger joined Tiffany & Co. in 1956. His loyal collectors included Jackie Kennedy and the global social elite. This classic design is usually a...Category
Vintage 1980s American Contemporary Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Gold, 18k GoldFree Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. Jean Schlumberger "V-Rope" Diamond Clip EarringsBy Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co.Located in New York, NYAn abstract design by Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co., these 18K gold and diamond "V-Rope" clip earrings were made circa 1980s. Each earclip with omega back is designed as a wire...Category
Late 20th Century American Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co. Gold EarringsBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Atlanta, GAThe Schlumberger six row X earrings are simply iconic. Great detailing makes this 7/8's of an inch design your new go to earring.Category
Late 20th Century American Contemporary Clip-on EarringsMaterials
18k GoldFree Shipping
- Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co Blue Enamel Ruby Gold Banana EarringsBy Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co.Located in New York, NYPair of 18k gold banana earrings, designed by Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co, set with bright blue enamel and rubies. Earrings measure 1 1/8" x 0.75". Marked: Schlumberger 750,...Category
20th Century French Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Ruby, Gold, Enamel
- Tiffany & Co. Schlumberger Enamel and Diamond EarringsBy Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co.Located in Houston, TXThese rare and extremely unique clip on 18 karat yellow gold earrings feature royal blue and bright green enamel accented by a starfish with approximate weight of 0.60 carats of 50 r...Category
20th Century French Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Platinum, Enamel
- Tiffany & Co. Jean Schlumberger Green Enamel and 18k Yellow Gold Banana EarringBy Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co.Located in MIAMI, FLAmazing earrings crafted by Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co. Since 1956 Jean Schlumberger has collaborated with Tiffany and Co. to create some of the worlds most coveted and fash...Category
Late 20th Century French Contemporary Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Yellow Gold, Enamel
Recently ViewedView All
These Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co. Earrings Are Just the Right Amount of Bold
Someone wanted to “modernize” the Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co. masterworks, but Mahnaz Collection came to their rescue. Here, the dealer explains precisely why they’re such an extraordinary find.
Tastemaker Bunny Mellon’s Extraordinary Schlumberger Jewels
The philanthropist and heiress was an avid jewelry collector, and her trove of Jean Schlumberger creations embodies the love of nature she shared with the famed designer.