- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
CHRISTIAN DIOR gold-tone choker necklace with red Gripoix
About the Item
- Dimensions:Depth: 0.4 in (10 mm)Diameter: 7.88 in (200 mm)Length: 15.75 in (400 mm)
- Place of Origin:France
- Date of Manufacture:1980
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. In very good condition, being a vintage product may have very slight scratches but no missing, no breaks.
- Seller Location:Milano, IT
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2057218509172
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: rozzano, Italy
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Gianni Versace by Ugo Correani Necklace 'Capri Series' w CoralBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Milano, ITMajestic necklace designed by Ugo Correani for the Gianni Versace brand, Capri series from 1980s. The necklace is made with a gold metal necklace. The necklace is embellished with co...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Modern Choker NecklacesMaterials
Coral, Gilt Metal
- Rare Vintage Adjustable Long Necklace w StonesLocated in Milano, ITGorgeous long necklace made of metal and stones in the 1980s, made in France. The necklace is beautiful and can be used as a long necklace or a double twist necklace. It is made of gold metal with simple links, very beautiful. There are gray stones, with pointed diamond stones. Simply elegant. Suitable on simple dresses...Category
Vintage 1980s French Beaded Necklaces$875Free Shipping
- Valentino vintage chain necklace with stonesBy ValentinoLocated in Milano, ITEccentric chain necklace with Valentino cross branded on the back. The chain has an intricate inlaid design with a clip fastening made of gold-plated metal. The Chain features a pend...Category
1990s Italian Modern Chain NecklacesMaterials
Gilt Metal$1,313Free Shipping
- Vintage Double Black and White Vintage Pearl NecklaceLocated in Milano, ITSuperb double pearl choker made in the 1980s, fine French craftsmanship. The necklace is wonderful and elegant. It is made with 2 strands of black pearls and three white ones, very e...Category
Vintage 1980s French Beaded NecklacesMaterials
Black Pearl$820Free Shipping
- Kenneth Lane Vintage Flower Pendant NecklaceBy Kenneth LaneLocated in Milano, ITLovely floral necklace designed by Kenneth Lane in the 1990s, fine French manufacture. The necklace spans 10 horizontal rows of colorful little flowers in shades of pink, purple, whi...Category
1990s French Pendant Necklaces$766Free Shipping
- Swatch Special "Happy Wedding" model GZS05, 2001By SwatchLocated in Milano, ITVintage Swatch from the 2001 "Wedding Set" collection. Wonderful pair of watches in original packaging and in excellent condition. The set consists of ...Category
Early 2000s Swiss Modern Wrist Watches$164Free Shipping
- 0.75 Carat Natural Diamond Disc Necklace 14K White Gold G SI 18'' chainLocated in New York, NY0.75 Carat Natural Diamond Necklace 14K White Gold G SI 18'' chain 100% Natural Diamonds, Not Enhanced in any way Round Cut Diamond Necklace 0.75CT G-H SI 14...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Choker NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 14k Gold, White Gold
- Cartier Diamond Dove of Peace Necklace in 18k White Gold W/ Box and CertificateBy CartierLocated in Philadelphia, PACartier 18k white gold Dove of Peace necklace accompanied by Cartier box and Cartier certificate of authenticity. This necklace features 19 interlocki...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Link NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, White Gold
- Graduated Tennis Necklace with 3-Prong Round Diamonds. D30.15ct.t.w.Located in Los Angeles, CA18" Graduated tennis necklace in platinum with 3-prong set round diamonds. D30.15ct.t.w. (Center - 2.00ct.)Category
2010s North American Link NecklacesMaterials
- Graduated Tennis Necklace with 3-Prong Round Diamonds. D28.18ct.t.w.Located in Los Angeles, CA18" Graduated tennis necklace in 18K white gold with 3-prong set round diamonds. D28.18ct.t.w. (Center - 3.00ct.)Category
2010s American Link NecklacesMaterials
- GIA Certified Large Oval Sapphire and Diamond Eternity Platinum NecklaceBy RAF JewelsLocated in New York, NYA highly impressive, brilliant, and well-crafted sapphire and diamond eternity necklace with twenty-one oval mixed-cut blue sapp...Category
1990s American Contemporary Choker NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Sapphire, PlatinumPrice Upon RequestFree Shipping
- Textured Yellow Gold NecklaceLocated in Paris, IDFNecklace in textured yellow gold, 750/000, formed by intertwined crescent moon motifs. Invisible clasp with safety blade, embedded in a link. Weight : ...Category
Vintage 1980s French Contemporary Choker NecklacesMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery