Schlumberger 16 Stone Diamond Ring
View Similar Items
Schlumberger 16 Stone Diamond Ring
About the Designer
Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co.
Jewelry designer Jean Schlumberger once said that he strived to “make everything look as if it were growing, uneven, at random, organic, in motion.” His jewels interpreted the vitality of the natural world with lively designs that included a moonstone-topped jellyfish brooch with sapphire tentacles exuding a watery shimmer and a ring encrusted with a burst of diamonds that “bloomed” like a flower bud.
A self-taught jeweler, Schlumberger’s mastery of color as well as his expertise as a draftsman brought his fantastic ideas to life. Born to a leading textile manufacturing family in Alsace, France, Schlumberger took to drawing as a child and showed promise as an artist, but his parents instead sent him to study banking in Berlin in the 1930s. Uninspired, he departed for Paris and began creating buttons for Italian fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli, who also commissioned him for costume jewelry.
One of Schlumberger’s early pieces — a cigarette lighter in the form of a fish whose head opened to reveal the flame — demonstrated his skill for capturing the vivacity of nature in precious metal. The designer’s imaginative jewelry was in contrast to popular geometric lines of Art Deco, an independent vision he affirmed in the extravagant 1941 Trophée de Vaillance brooch created for fashion editor Diana Vreeland. An extravagant confection of diamonds, amethyst, rubies and gold, the brooch featured gemstones adorning an intricate intersection of tiny spears and a breastplate over a glittering shield.
After serving in the French army and the Free French forces during World War II — and surviving the Battle of Dunkirk — Schlumberger left war-torn Europe for New York and in 1946 established a jewelry salon with Nicolas Bongard. There, his vibrant work caught the eye of Tiffany & Co. After joining the American luxury jewelry house in 1956, he soon had his own studio on the mezzanine of Tiffany’s Fifth Avenue store that he accessed by a private elevator. In his workshop, Schlumberger used a rainbow of gemstones, gold and diamonds to create some of the company’s most beguiling designs.
From striking earrings shaped like soaring wings to diamond birds perched on glittering gemstones, each of Schlumberger’s Tiffany designs dazzled. His supporters included Bunny Mellon, whose love for horticulture inspired commissions such as the Jasmine necklace with diamond blossoms flowering from a garland of colored sapphires, and Jacqueline Kennedy, who wore his Croisillon bracelets so often they became known as “Jackie bracelets.” Schlumberger retired from Tiffany in the late 1970s, but decades after his designs were introduced many of his popular pieces remain in production.
On 1stDibs, find an extraordinary range of vintage Jean Schlumberger jewelry designed for Tiffany & Co.
- Trudel Modernist Diamond RingBy TrudelLocated in Litchfield, CTCirca 1970-80s, 18k, by Trudel, Zurich, Switzerland. This spectacular one-of-a-kind ring designed by Kurt Aepli for Trudel is set with 4.20 carats of superb white diamonds (F color,...Category
Vintage 1970s Swiss Band RingsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$9,800Free Shipping
- Buccellati Diamond-Set Gold RingBy BuccellatiLocated in Litchfield, CTCirca 2000s, 18k, by Buccellati, Italy. Renowned for bringing old-world Italian hand-engraved gold work to moments of contemporary fashion, Buccellati jewelry...Category
Early 2000s Italian Band RingsMaterials
Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$13,500Free Shipping
- Boucheron Seventies Diamond-Set Gold RingBy BoucheronLocated in Litchfield, CTCirca 1970-80s, 18k, by Boucheron, Paris, France. This sublime diamond set yellow gold ring by the storied house of Boucheron features an understated ...Category
Vintage 1970s French Fashion RingsMaterials
Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$7,500Free Shipping
- Hermès Hercules Diamond-Set Gold RingBy HermèsLocated in Litchfield, CTCirca 2000s, 18k, by Hermès, France. Redolent of the Hermès lifestyle, this chic eighteen-karat yellow gold ring features the iconic H pave-set with ...Category
Early 2000s French Band RingsMaterials
Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$4,400Free Shipping
- Buccellati Diamond-set Gold "Cassettoni" Ring 18k c2000s ItalyBy BuccellatiLocated in Litchfield, CTCirca 2000s, 18k, by Buccellati, Italy. Renowned for combining sublime hand-engraved goldwork with contemporary fashion, Buccellati jewelry has ener...Category
2010s Italian Band RingsMaterials
Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$4,800Free Shipping
- Sixties Emerald RingLocated in Litchfield, CTCirca 1960s, 18k, American. The 3.0 carat emerald in this fabulous sixties ring has gorgeous color and lively passage of light. Its postmodern design is perfect for today's underst...Category
Vintage 1960s American Fashion RingsMaterials
Emerald, Yellow Gold, 18k Gold$14,500Free Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. Schlumberger Eighteen Stone Natural Diamond Ring Platinum & GoldBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Baltimore, MDTiffany & Co. Schlumberger Eighteen Stone Natural Diamond Ring Platinum & 18K Gold Metal: Platinum & 18k gold Weight: 10.07 grams Diamonds: 1.33 carats D-G Flawless - VS2 round natu...Category
21st Century and Contemporary North American Modern Band RingsMaterials
Diamond, Gold, Platinum$7,995Free Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. Schlumberger Diamond RingBy Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co.Located in Naples, FLIndulge in opulence with the Tiffany & Co. Schlumberger Diamond Ring—a masterpiece that seamlessly marries luxury and artistry. Crafted in an...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Band RingsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Platinum$8,000Free Shipping
- Platinum Tiffany & Co. Schlumberger X Sixteen Stone Eternity Ring, Size 5.5By Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co.Located in Rancho Santa Fe, CAPlatinum Tiffany & Co. Schlumberger X Sixteen Stone Diamond Eternity Ring. This ring is a size 5.5, 6.6m wide, 3.4mm thick, with sixteen prong set round diamonds of approximately 1.2...Category
2010s American Modern Fashion RingsMaterials
Diamond, Platinum$8,064 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. Schlumberger Lynn RingBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Houston, TXTiffany & Co. Schlumberger Lynn band composed of 18K yellow gold and platinum with diamonds. It features 21 round brilliant-cut diamonds that total ...Category
Late 20th Century American Band RingsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Platinum$7,900Free Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. Jean Schlumberger Diamond Four Row Yellow Gold Platinum X RingBy Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co.Located in Holland, PA18k Yellow Gold And Platinum Diamond Four Row Band Ring by Tiffany & Co. Part of Tiffany & Co's famous collection by Jean Schlumberger. With 52 diamonds, VS1 clarity, G color. Tota...Category
20th Century American Band RingsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Platinum$6,250Free Shipping
- Three-Stone Diamond RingBy Artisan NYCLocated in New York, NYBodacious three stone diamond ring in 14K Gold. This ring has 3 rosecut diamonds with a broad shank and very intricate filigree work. Ring S...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Indian Victorian Band RingsMaterials
Diamond, 14k Gold, Yellow Gold$4,795Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView All
These Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co. Earrings Are Just the Right Amount of Bold
Someone wanted to “modernize” the Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co. masterworks, but Mahnaz Collection came to their rescue. Here, the dealer explains precisely why they’re such an extraordinary find.
Tastemaker Bunny Mellon’s Extraordinary Schlumberger Jewels
The philanthropist and heiress was an avid jewelry collector, and her trove of Jean Schlumberger creations embodies the love of nature she shared with the famed designer.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery