- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Tiffany & Co. 18 Karat Gold Elsa Peretti 'Bean' Ring
- Ring Size5.25 US, Not Resizable
- Weight2.7 g
- Place of OriginUnknown
- Date of Manufacture20th Century
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. It is in overall good, as-pictured, used estate condition with some fine & light surface scratches and other signs of expected light wear consistent with age.
- Seller LocationPhiladelphia, PA
- Reference NumberSeller: DSA INV PB F221stDibs: LU849315189732
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Philadelphia , PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.
By the time the Italian-born Peretti (1940–2021) arrived in New York City, she’d already studied design in Rome, worked for a Milanese architect and taught Italian, French and skiing in Switzerland. She settled on interior design as her potential career path but then chose an altogether different route: modeling. Peretti modeled in Barcelona, Spain, and on the advice of Wilhelmina Cooper — a former model who’d by then founded Wilhelmina Modeling Agency — moved to Manhattan in 1968. When she relocated, Peretti was inspired to pick up jewelry design.
After modeling for designer Halston, the undisputed fashion king of Studio 54, Peretti became his close friend and collaborator, eventually creating jewelry and teardrop-shaped perfume bottles for him. By way of her association with Halston, Peretti took to the disco scene, flourishing in a social circle that included artist Andy Warhol and fashion designer Giorgio di Sant’Angelo.
It wasn’t long before models on di Sant’Angelo’s runway were donning two-inch sterling-silver vases, complete with a rose stem, suspended on leather thongs around their necks. The accessory was Peretti’s inaugural piece of jewelry — she designed it in 1969 after finding a flower vase at a flea market. It was hardly the only time that Peretti found motifs in nature and in organic forms. In the years that followed, her Bean pendant necklace, Starfish earrings and other sensuous accessories would draw on human emotion as well as the natural world around her. Each evocative and wholly versatile design is universally adored decades later, and each was made for a storied American jewelry house with which Peretti would be associated for nearly 50 years.
It was Halston who introduced Peretti to Tiffany & Co. She had her own boutique at Bloomingdale’s by 1972, and her partnership with the firm, which signed the venturesome and unorthodox designer to an exclusive contract in 1974, would cement her place in the lofty annals of jewelry legend. Peretti’s simple but sophisticated designs — the Teardrop collection, her minimalist Diamonds by the Yard necklace and Open Heart ring, to name a few — elevated sterling silver, previously considered unsuitable for fine jewelry, and created an enthusiastic young audience for Tiffany’s offerings. In 1977, Peretti’s designs earned the jewelry house more than $6 million. (In some years, her work has accounted for 10 percent of the company’s sales.)
In 2012, Peretti signed a 20-year, $47.3 million contract with Tiffany & Co., but she passed away in 2021, at age 80. Today, her designs are in the permanent collections of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City and the British Museum.
Find an exquisite collection of Elsa Peretti jewelry today on 1stDibs.
- By Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.Located in Philadelphia, PAA fine Tiffany & Co. Bean necklace. Designed by Elsa Peretti. In sterling silver. Together with a signed Tiff...Category
20th Century Modern Pendant NecklacesMaterials
- By Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.Located in Philadelphia, PAA very fine Tiffany & Co. sterling silver ring. By Elsa Peretti. Flush set with a round cut sapphire. Perfe...Category
20th Century Modern Band RingsMaterials
Sapphire, Sterling Silver
- By Tiffany & Co.Located in Philadelphia, PAA fine modernist gold & sapphire ring. By Tiffany & Co. With a shaped shank and flush set with a round cut sap...Category
Late 20th Century Modernist Band RingsMaterials
Sapphire, Gold, 18k Gold
- By Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.Located in Philadelphia, PAA fine Padova pie or cake server. In sterling silver. Designed by Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co. Marked to th...Category
Vintage 1980s Retro Flatware and Serving PiecesMaterials
- By Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.Located in Philadelphia, PAA fine sterling silver & green aventurine quartz pendant necklace. By Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co. Together...Category
Late 20th Century Modern Pendant NecklacesMaterials
Quartz, Aventurine, Sterling Silver
You May Also Like
Early 2000s Retro Cocktail Rings
Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
20th Century Cocktail Rings
Vintage 1980s Cocktail Rings
Diamond, Yellow Gold
21st Century and Contemporary Contemporary Fashion Rings
Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
Vintage 1980s Modern Fashion Rings
1990s Modern Fashion Rings
Lapis Lazuli, Yellow Gold, 18k Gold
Early 2000s Retro Fashion Rings
Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
20th Century Band Rings
Vintage 1980s Contemporary Band Rings
21st Century and Contemporary Band Rings
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery