For its extraordinary range of bracelets, watches, rings and other adornments, French luxury house Cartier is undeniably one of the most well known and internationally revered jewelers in the world among clients both existing and aspirational.
Perhaps 1847 was not the ideal time to open a new watchmaking and jewelry business, as the French Revolution was not kind to the aristocracy who could afford such luxuries. Nevertheless, it was the year Louis-François Cartier (1819–1904) — who was born into poverty — founded his eponymous empire, assuming control of the workshop of watchmaker Adolphe Picard, under whom he had previously been employed as an assistant. Of course, in the beginning, it was a relatively modest affair, but by the late 1850s, Cartier had its first royal client, Princess Mathilde Bonaparte, niece of Napoleon Bonaparte, who commissioned the jeweler to design brooches, earrings and other accessories.
Under the leadership of Louis-François’s son, Alfred, who took over in 1874, business boomed. Royalty around the world wore Cartier pieces, including Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, the Maharaja of Patiala and King Edward VII, who had 27 tiaras made by the jewelry house for his coronation in 1902 and issued Cartier a royal warrant in 1904. (Today, the British royal family still dons Cartier pieces; Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, regularly sports a Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch.)
Cartier’s golden years, however, began when Alfred introduced his three sons, Louis, Pierre and Jacques, to the business. The brothers expanded Cartier globally: Louis reigned in Paris, Pierre in New York and Jacques in London, ensuring their brand’s consistency at their branches across the world. The trio also brought in such talents as Charles Jacqueau and Jeanne Toussaint.
One of Cartier’s earliest major successes was the Santos de Cartier watch — one of the world's first modern wristwatches for men. (Previously, a large number of people were using only pocket watches.) Louis designed the timepiece in 1904 for his friend, popular Brazilian aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont, who wanted to be able to check the time more easily while flying.
Cartier’s other famous timepieces include the Tank watch, which was inspired by the linear form of military tanks during World War I, and the so-called mystery clocks. Invented by watchmaker and magician Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin and later crafted exclusively for Cartier in the house’s workshop by watchmaker Maurice Couët, the mystery clocks were so named because the integration of glass dials on which the clocks’ hands would seemingly float as well as structures that are hidden away within the base give the illusion that they operate without machinery.
On the jewelry side of the business, Cartier’s internationally renowned offerings include the Tutti Frutti collection, which featured colorful carved gemstones inspired by Jacques’s trip to India and grew in popularity during the Art Deco years; the panthère motif, which has been incorporated into everything from brooches to rings; and the Love bracelet, a minimal, modernist locking bangle inspired by medieval chastity belts that transformed fine jewelry.
While the Cartier family sold the business following the death of Pierre in 1964, the brand continues to innovate today, renewing old hits and creating new masterpieces.
On 1stDibs, find a growing collection of contemporary and vintage Cartier watches, engagement rings, necklaces and other accessories.
|Average Sold Price|
21st Century and Contemporary French Cartier
Late 20th Century French Contemporary Cartier
Rose Gold, Gold, 18k Gold, White Gold, Yellow Gold
1980s Swiss Vintage Cartier
Late 20th Century French Contemporary Cartier
Rose Gold, Gold, 18k Gold, White Gold, Yellow Gold
Late 20th Century French Cartier
Blue Sapphire, 18k Gold, Sterling Silver
20th Century Swiss Cartier
21st Century and Contemporary Cartier
Diamond, Rose Gold
Creators Similar to Cartier
Gems by David Webb, Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels Anchor The Back Vault’s Treasure Trove
Boasting one of the largest collections of David Webb in the world, the firm offers exceptional jewels — always in demand yet never in short supply.
This 1950s Cartier Toi et Moi Ring Is a Summer Stunner
Made with Sardinian coral, this gem packs so much presence — and is perfect for poolside soirees.
Discover Why Islamic Art Is an Enduring Influence on Cartier Jewelry
Through both his collection and his innovative designs, Louis Cartier’s passion for Islamic continues to resonate.
15 Scintillating Jewelry Watches to Elevate Your Holiday Style
Watchmakers have tucked their movements into all manner of precious baubles, from lapel pins to cocktail rings. The result is dazzling, wearable art that will get you to the party on time.
How to Spot a Fake Cartier Love Bracelet
Our guide will teach you the telltale traits of fake Cartier Love bracelets.
Cartier: The Jeweler Who Helped Define Art Deco
Cartier created some of the most iconic jewelry designs that defined this era.
The Wild Story Behind Cartier’s Panthers
The French jewelry house's iconic cats have enjoyed a fierce following for more than a century.
The 6 Most Popular Brands for Luxury Watches
These companies have stood the test of time, making exceptional pieces for generations.
Cartier jewelry & watches for sale on 1stDibs.
- Does Cartier rose gold fade?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertFebruary 22, 2021Cartier rose gold doesn't tarnish but over many years of wearing, rose gold generally is said to become darker. Rose gold allegedly becomes slightly yellower in tone, toward a traditional gold.
- What is Cartier famous for?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Cartier is famous for producing jewelry and watches out of rare and luxury-grade materials and creating innovative designs, often packed with symbolism. Some of the jeweler's most famous pieces include the modern Love and Trinity bracelets and its custom-made antique and vintage jewelry like the Crocodile and Patiala necklaces. Find a range of Cartier jewelry and watches on 1stDibs.
- What is the Cartier symbol?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertFebruary 22, 2021Today, the Cartier symbol, or logo, is the luxury house's name written in a clean serif font that mimics cursive handwriting. Typically, the logo is either black on white or white on a black background. Its refined and understated appearance references the high standards that have long been associated with this celebrated brand.
- Is Cartier real gold?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertFebruary 22, 2021As one of the top luxury jewelry houses in the world, Cartier uses some of the finest quality materials. The company uses 18k gold in their jewelry and real diamonds.
- How much is a Cartier bracelet?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertFebruary 22, 2021The price of Cartier bracelets varies based on age, condition, and rarity. The least expensive versions of the Cartier Love bracelet, for example, can still cost around $4,000. On 1stDibs, there is a variety of Cartier bracelets for sale.
- Is Cartier a luxury watch?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, Cartier watches are considered luxury watches. Cartier is a noted jeweler, taking that attention to detail and access to high-quality metals and jewels to their watches—they spare no expense and are highly desirable. On 1stDibs, find a collection of authentic Cartier watches from some of the world’s top sellers.
- Is Cartier cheaper in Paris?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertFebruary 22, 2021Cartier pieces may be cheaper in Paris than they are in the U.S., but that's because of the exchange rate. Cartier doesn't price the pieces depending on the country.
- 1stDibs ExpertFebruary 22, 2021A Cartier engagement ring can cost between $3,000 and $800,000. The price depends on the diamond's carat weight and quality.
- Are Cartier watches automatic?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertFebruary 22, 2021Most Cartier watches are quartz, but the iconic Tank watch is automatic. While quartz watches work due to a pre-installed battery, automatic watches use a spring system and are self-winding.
- What is Cartier Vermeil?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Cartier Vermeil means a timepiece made by the French luxury jewelry house of Cartier out of a material called vermeil. It is a precious metal produced by combining genuine gold and silver. Shop a variety of Cartier Vermeil watches on 1stDibs.
- What is Cartier Vendôme?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022The meaning of Cartier Vendôme varies. Most often, the term describes a line of watches made by the French luxury jewelry house. However, the company has also produced sunglasses and wedding jewelry with the style name Cartier Vendôme. Shop a variety of Cartier Vendôme watches on 1stDibs.
- Why Cartier is so expensive?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertFebruary 22, 2021One of the reasons Cartier is so expensive is because, since its inception in 1847, the brand has had a massive celebrity fan base that spans royals, movie stars, singers and socialites. The brand also uses the highest quality metals and gems in their pieces, rendering them expensive to produce. Lastly, most Cartier pieces are easy to identify, making brand recognition a key factor in the brand's exclusivity.
- What is the famous Cartier ring?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertFebruary 13, 2023While the luxury jewelry maker has produced many iconic pieces, the Trinity de Cartier ring is perhaps its most famous. The Trinity debuted in 1924 and features interlocking rings in rose, yellow and white gold. Shop a collection of Cartier rings from top jewelers around the world on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022What Cartier watch is the most famous is largely a matter of personal opinion. Some well-known watches produced by the French luxury brand include the Tank Solo, the Ballon Bleu De Cartier, the Tank Anglaise, the Crash and the Clé De Cartier. Find a selection of Cartier watches on 1stDibs.
- Who designed the Cartier Ecrou?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Unnamed designers working for Cartier designed the Cartier Ecrou bracelet. They based the design for the jewelry released in 2017 on that of the Juste un Clou that Aldo Cipullo created for the brand in 1971. On 1stDibs, shop a selection of Cartier Ecrou bracelets.
- How do I wear Cartier earrings?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022How to wear Cartier earrings depends on your personal preferences. Small hoops and studs can balance chunky statement necklaces, while dramatic drops and oversized hoops can become the bold focal point of an outfit. Shop a variety of Cartier earrings on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022No, the Cartier Santos watch is not discontinued as of December 2021. The luxury watchmaker did discontinue the watch in 2016 but then revived the line in 2018 to celebrate the watch's 40th anniversary. You'll find a variety of Cartier Santos watches on 1stDibs.
- What is Pasha de Cartier?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Pasha de Cartier is a watch introduced by the French luxury jewelry house of Cartier in 1985. Today, the watch features an automatic movement and is available with various leather and bracelet bands. On 1stDibs, shop a range of Pasha de Cartier watches.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 3, 2023While the Panthère de Cartier watch collection was initially launched in 1983, Cartier included panther spots (and only the spots) in diamonds and onyx on at least one women’s watch in 1914 and another in 1915. These creations were conceived by the Cartier designer Charles Jacqueau. The cat’s major breakthrough came in 1949, with a brooch on which Jeanne Toussaint worked hand in glove with designer Peter Lemarchand. The luxury jewelry house now offers dozens of versions of the Panthère de Cartier timepiece, including double- and triple-wrap bracelets, a series of cuffs and a diamond-encrusted panther spot version. On 1stDibs, shop a collection of Cartier pieces from some of the world's top sellers.
- Does Cartier make earrings?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, Cartier does make earrings as well as a slew of other exquisite and high-end pieces of jewelry. Established in 1847 in Paris, France, this luxury goods brand is known throughout the world for its jewelry and watches. On 1stDibs, find a collection of authentic Cartier pieces from some of the world’s top sellers.
- Are all Cartier rings gold?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertFebruary 17, 2023No, not all Cartier rings are gold. Although the luxury jewelry maker produces many white, rose and yellow gold pieces, some rings are platinum. The French jewelry house, founded in 1847 by Louis-François Cartier, pioneered the use of platinum in fine jewelry in the late 1800s, identifying the strong, lustrous metal as ideal for bringing out the true qualities of diamonds. On 1stDibs, shop a collection of Cartier rings.
- 1stDibs ExpertMay 5, 2023The original Cartier Tank watch, which was emblematic of a stark departure from the renowned jewelry house’s curved and round watch faces in that its case resembled the FT-17’s cockpit, served as a sleek update to the Santos watch. Crafted in 1917, one year before the Great War came to a close, Cartier’s Tank watch reportedly borrowed its clean, sharp lines and boxy silhouette from France’s legendary Renault FT-17 light tank, itself a compact and extraordinary design that inspired numerous copies. When the Tank watch went to market, Cartier offered a limited run in Paris. After those quickly sold, it was given a name, the Tank Normale. The timepiece took off in popularity, but only slightly more than 30 were made in 1920 and annual production has been slow over the years since then. Find Cartier Tank watches on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertMay 5, 2023On Cartier jewelry, a 750 stamp means that a piece is 75% gold metal. You will find the stamp on the 18-karat gold pieces made by Cartier, such as the Love bracelet. On 1stDibs, find an assortment of Cartier jewelry from some of the worlds top sellers.
- Does Cartier have rings for men?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Yes, Cartier sells rings for men. The luxury jewelry house produces numerous band rings, including the 1895 wedding band, the C DE, the Love and the D'Amour wedding band. In addition, the brand offers a ring version of its Trinity bracelet. The piece combines yellow, white and rose gold bands to symbolize love, friendship and fidelity. Find a selection of Cartier rings on 1stDibs.
- Is the Cartier screwdriver gold?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022The Cartier website does not state whether the Love bracelet screwdriver is 18k gold like the bracelet. However, according to owners, the screwdriver is not gold but gold-plated. New screwdrivers can be purchased if you lose or break one or they may be replaced by Cartier. On 1stDibs, find a collection of Cartier Love jewelry from top sellers around the world.
- Does Cartier use platinum?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, Cartier uses platinum in the production of their jewelry and other items. In fact, Alfred Cartier and his three sons are credited with mastering this metal and creating a process that made it possible for jewelers to use this metal efficiently. Find vintage and contemporary Cartier jewelry from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022The Cartier panther, or panthère, is a symbol of fierce femininity, luxury and sophistication. Cartier continues to produce high-quality jewelry that features its panthère motif, highlighting the brand's creativity. Find a wide range of Cartier pieces, including panthère, on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022There are a range of Cartier watches that are highly iconic to the brand. The Cartier Tank watch is one of the classic options. The Panthère de Cartier and Clé de Cartier watches are also popular pieces. Shop a range of authentic Cartier watches from top sellers on 1stDibs.
- What gold is a Cartier bracelet?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Most Cartier bracelets are 18-karat gold. Some pieces like the acclaimed Love bracelet come in yellow, rose and white gold. In addition, Cartier makes some of their bracelets out of platinum. On 1stDibs, you can shop a collection of Cartier bracelets.