Like other major European luxury fashion houses, Fendi started small. Adele Casagrande was an Italian creative who loved fashion and sold leather and fur accessories from a tiny workshop she opened in Rome in 1918. However, after marrying Edoardo Fendi in 1925, her business model was altered dramatically. Together, the couple changed the boutique’s name to Fendi and moved into a bigger storefront, which quickly became the favorite shop of women all over Italy’s capital city for furs and leathers, such as handbags, coats and accessories.
As time moved on for Adele and Edoardo, the couple began to distribute more responsibility to their five daughters, who assumed management of the company during the 1950s. Fendi’s audience broadened and its profitability has soared over the years, owing to the brand’s fresh perspective on fashion world happenings and innovative sensibility. The maison also has a distinctive relationship with old-world Italian craftsmanship. The Selleria bags were the work of master saddlers in Rome, and Fendi partnered with lace artisans in southern Italy as well as craftsmen in the east trained in the intrecciato (intertwined) technique (an idea that Adele introduced during the 1940s), which, in Fendi’s case, sees an interwoven leather fabric integrated in the creation of its handbags, countering leather’s traditional rigidity with a bag that is soft, versatile and fitted with an alluring slouchy curve.
It wasn’t until 1965, however, when a young German designer named Karl Lagerfeld took the creative helm that Fendi became a world-renowned fashion house. In fact, Lagerfeld, who produced four to five collections yearly for the brand, is credited with creating Fendi’s instantly recognizable double-F logo (which stands for “Fun Furs”) in “less than five seconds.” Until Lagerfeld started designing for the brand, fur was a material mostly associated with heavy coats that few people actually wore. Lagerfeld reimagined fur in creative ways, using it as an accent on purses, cuffs on dress sleeves and collars on wool coats.
Over the ensuing years, Fendi has broken into the home-goods market with Fendi Casa and has become synonymous with luxury fashion, producing such pieces as the iconic Baguette, which was rendered ever popular on the television series Sex and the City. In fact, an entire episode during the third season was dedicated to the “original It bag,” a slim accessory tapered in a manner that recalls its namesake, designed in 1997 by Adele and Edoardo’s granddaughter Silvia Venturini Fendi, who was named creative director of accessories three years earlier.
Perhaps just as well known as its vintage Baguette handbags and creative use of fur is the brand’s devotion to its Italian roots. In 2013, Fendi donated more than 2 million euros to restore Rome’s Trevi Fountain, and when it was reopened to visitors, Fendi hosted its Autumn/Winter 2017 show on top of the landmark.
Fendi was a family-controlled brand until 1999 and is now owned by LVMH. In late 2020, British fashion designer Kim Jones was named the house’s artistic director for womens wear.
Find a wide variety of vintage Fendi handbags and purses, clothing and other accessories on 1stDibs.
|Average Sold Price|
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Fendi
2010s Italian Fendi
2010s Italian Fendi
2010s Italian Fendi
Early 2000s French Fendi
2010s Italian Fendi
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Fendi
21st Century and Contemporary Fendi
The Fendi Baguette Is an ‘It’ Bag Again, 25 Years After Its Introduction
Iconic Italian fashion houses Fendi and Versace teamed up on this delightfully outrageous Fendace reimagining.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
Fendi fashion for sale on 1stDibs
- Do Fendi shoes run true to size?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, Fendi shoes tend to run true to size, but this can vary depending on the style of shoe. For size guides, consult the brand’s website. On 1stDibs, you’ll find a collection of authentic vintage and contemporary Fendi shoes from some of the world’s top boutiques.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022No, not all Fendi bags have a hologram square with the serial number. This technology was introduced in 2004 but was retired by 2011 in favor of more sophisticated technology after counterfeiters were able to copy it. It’s important to purchase from a vetted seller or vendor to ensure authenticity. While Fendi has at times inspired knockoffs, 1stDibs partners with only top-vetted sellers to offer authentic pieces that come with a buyer protection guarantee.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022As of December 2021, there were approximately 200 Fendi stores located around the world, including the flagship store located on Madison Avenue in New York, New York. You can also find Fendi on the brand's online store, at authorized brick-and-mortar retailers and on reputable online platforms. On 1stDibs, shop a large selection of Fendi.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Yes, Fendi does use acrylic in some of their scarves. However, the brand usually doesn't make scarves out of 100 percent acrylic material. Instead, most scarves featuring the material are a wool blend. On 1stDibs, find a variety of Fendi scarves.
- Do Fendi clothes run small?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022No, Fendi clothes will usually run true to size, but this may vary depending on style and cut. For exact size guides, consult the brand’s website. Shop a wide collection of vintage and contemporary Fendi clothes and accessories from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Yes, Fendi does own their own factories. The company began building their latest one in Bagno a Ripoli, Tuscany, Italy, in 2020. In addition, the fashion house operates a factory in Capannuccia, another Tuscan town. You'll find a large collection of Fendi on 1stDibs.
- Does Fendi have sales?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, Fendi is known to hold sales on different items. Sales vary from location to location. For more information, contact your local authorized Fendi retailer. On 1stDibs, you’ll find a collection of vintage and contemporary Fendi apparel and accessories from some of the world’s top boutiques.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022No, Fendi does not usually use letter sizes for its sweaters and other knitwear. Instead, the brand employs numerical sizes based on the Italian system. For easy shopping, the Fendi website converts Italian to U.S. sizes automatically. On 1stDibs, find a selection of Fendi sweaters.
- Does fendi run small?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Fendi shoes tend to run true to size, but this can depend on the style of shoe. For size guides, consult the brand’s website. On 1stDibs, you’ll find a collection of authentic vintage and contemporary Fendi shoes from some of the world’s top boutiques.
- Does Fendi repair bags?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Fendi’s repair policy depends on age of the bag and if you’ve retained the receipt. Whether Fendi handles repairs and maintenance themselves depends on which location or authorized vendor you purchased the bag from. For detailed information, contact the store you purchased from. On 1stDibs, you’ll find a collection of vintage and contemporary Fendi bags from some of the world’s top boutiques.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022To refurbish a vintage material Fendi handbag, apply a few drops of mild dish soap to a cloth moistened with warm water. Lather up the bag and then use a clean moist cloth to wipe away the soap. Only use this method to clean canvas or fabric bags. On 1stDibs, shop a selection of Fendi bags.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022How to set the time on a Fendi watch depends on the type of timepiece that you have. For quartz watches, simply pull out the winding crown to the middle position and twist to change the time. To set the date, move the winding crown into the outermost position and twist. Consult the instructions provided with your timepiece for more information. Find a collection of Fendi on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022To change the battery in a Fendi watch, visit a Fendi Timepieces Approved Service Center. The professionals at authorized centers have the tools needed to safely perform the task and will safely recycle the old battery. Shop a range of Fendi watches on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022To resize a Fendi My Way watch bracelet, take your timepiece to an authorized Fendi dealer or service center. The brand cautions against trying to remove links yourself, as you could scratch or damage the metal without the proper tools. Find a selection of Fendi on 1stDibs.
- How do I resize a Fendi belt?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022How to resize a Fendi belt depends on the design. You can consult the information provided with the belt for specific instructions. On many belts, simply twist the buckle 90 degrees and then lift the latch. Remove the end of the belt from the buckle and trim to your desired length with scissors. Then, reinsert the belt, lower the latch and twist the buckle back into place. On 1stDibs, shop a collection of Fendi belts.
- What are Fendi shirts made of?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Fendi makes shirts out of many different materials. The brand uses cotton, linen, silk and wool to make both men's and women's shirts. In some cases, the fabrics blend one or more of these natural fibers with a synthetic like elastane or acrylic. On 1stDibs, find a variety of Fendi apparel.
- Is Fendi an Italian name?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Yes, Fendi is an Italian name. The luxury fashion house gets its name from Edoardo Fendi who married the company's founder, Adele Casagrande, in 1925. Her original shop was in Rome, Italy, and the city remains home to the brand's headquarters to this day. You'll find a variety of Fendi apparel and accessories on 1stDibs.
- Is Fila owned by Fendi?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022No, Fila is not owned by Fendi. The South Korean company FILA Holdings owns Fila, while the French corporation LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton controls Fendi. Fila and Fendi did collaborate to create a sportswear capsule collection in 2018. Shop a collection of Fendi on 1stDibs.
- Is Fendi good quality?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Whether or not Fendi is good quality is largely a matter of personal perception. However, the brand does produce their apparel and accessories in accordance with strict quality standards, and many pieces are entirely handmade. On 1stDibs, find a collection of Fendi.
- Is Fendi handmade?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Whether or not Fendi products are handmade depends on their type. Handbags, scarves and some other items are made entirely by hand. Other items like shoes and sunglasses are usually made partially or entirely by machine. You'll find a large selection of Fendi apparel and accessories on 1stDibs.