- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1980s Yves Saint Laurent Gold Metal Scrolling Belt
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 3 in (7.62 cm)Width: 30 in (76.2 cm)Marked Size: 6 (US)
- Style:1980s (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:France
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU55016302532
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- 1980s Yves Saint Laurent Gripoix Sash BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in London, GBThis documented Yves Saint Laurent sash belt is from the spring / summer 1989-90 collection, and was featured on that season's runway held during Paris Fashion Week in October 1989. ...Category
1980s French Belts
- 1960/ 1970s Paco Rabanne Futuristic Metal Disc Chain Belt, UnlabelledBy Paco RabanneLocated in London, GBThis fabulous late 1960s/ early 1970s metal chain belt is unlabelled, however we can confirm with confidence that it is by iconic Spanish designer Paco Rabanne who was extolled durin...Category
1960s French Belts
- 1920s French Filigree Buckle and Black Fabric BeltLocated in London, GB1920s - 1930s but conceivably much earlier, black fabric and gold filigree style belt. Featuring a black crepe waistband which has been set atop a stronger woven fabric and machine ...Category
1920s French Belts
- 1970s Ungaro Accordion Pleat Red Ribbon BeltBy Emanuel UngaroLocated in London, GBThis 1970s elaborate ribbon belt by Emmanuel Ungaro is the perfect accessory for any bohemian outfit. The main section of the belt is made up of finely pleated red ribbon, with a str...Category
1970s French Belts
- 1990s Yves Saint Laurent Floral Silk SuitBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in London, GBThis charming Yves Saint Laurent 1980s or early 1990s 2 piece silk set is in pristine condition and wonderfully adaptable as separates. The vibrant golden yellow floral design is pla...Category
1980s French Skirt Suits
- 1970s Yves Saint Laurent Metallic Knitted JumperBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in London, GBA 1970s wool and metallic yarn knit jumper by Yves Saint Laurent in a khaki brown tone with accents of black. It almost looks a bit camouflage until you note the fine pastel hued met...Category
1970s French Pullovers
- Napoleon High Polished BRASS Coin Chain BeltLocated in Los Angeles, CANapoleon High Polished BRASS Coin Chain Belt. This belt is a highly polished brass coin belt, with a finish similar to that of fine gold THe belt is in excellent condition as if un...Category
- Vintage CHRISTIAN LACROIX Byzantine Mogul BeltBy Christian LacroixLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHRISTIAN LACROIX Byzantine Mogul Belt Measurements: Buckle Height: 5.11 inches (13 cms) Buckle Width: 6.3 inches (16 cms) Wearable Length: 26.37 inches (67 cm) to 28.34 in...Category
1980s French Belts
- Vintage Tiffany & Co. 18 Karat Yellow Gold Present CharmBy Tiffany & Co.Located in New York, NYA vintage closed box with bow present charm made in 18k gold by Tiffany & Co. circa 2000. This charm is a rendering of the classic Tiffany blue box with a white bow made in 18k yello...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern More JewelryMaterials
Yellow Gold, 18k Gold$2,800Free Shipping
- 1980's Brass Metal Gold Brutalist Hand-crafted Sculptural Waist BeltLocated in North Hollywood, CA1987's Brass metal gold corset brutalist handcrafted sculptural waist belt Amazing vintage brutalist and sculptural belt in gold brass metal hand forged by artisan sculptor, signed a...Category
Late 20th Century American Belts$280 Sale Price20% Off
- Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Wide Black Leather Rim Tube BeltBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Nice, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER vintage wide black leather rim tube belt. Snap button closure. Marked JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Made in Italy. Indicated size : 44. Indicative measurements : inner ci...Category
20th Century Italian Belts
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl by Robert Goossens Fossil Medallion Chain LeatherBy Robert Goossens for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl by Robert Goossens Chain Leather Fossil Medallion Necklace Belt Measurements: StrapHeight: 1.18 inches (3 cm) Medallion: 2.16 inches X 2 inches (5.5 c...Category
20th Century French Belts
- Yves Saint Laurent Gilt Bronze Link BeltBy Robert Goossens for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent Alligator textured gilt bronze link belt, made by Robert Goossens , as patches of torn alligator skin. Excellent Condition. Length 26" plus 5.75" extender, Width...Category
1990s French BeltsMaterials
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl by Robert Goossens Heart Rhinestone Cord BeltBy Robert Goossens for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YSL Yves Saint Laurent by Robert Goossens Heart Stone Cord Necklace Belt Measurements: Height Buckle: 2 .32 inches (5.9 cm) Width Buckle: 2.48 inches (6.3 cm) Length: 38.97 ...Category
20th Century French Belts
- Vintage YSL Yves Saint Laurent by Robert Goossens Flower Charm Necklace BeltBy Robert Goossens for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YSL Yves Saint Laurent by Robert Goossens Shell Flower Wooden Charm Necklace Belt Measurements: Height: 3.75 inches (9.6 cm) Charms: 1.6 inches (4 cm) Length: 39.37 inches (...Category
1980s French Belts
- YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl by Robert Goossens Chain Leather Fossil Medallion BeltBy Robert Goossens for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl by Robert Goossens Chain Leather Fossil Medallion Necklace Belt Measurements: Length: 36 inches (91.44 cm) Height: 1 2/8 inches (3.17 cm) Medallion: 2...Category
20th Century French Belts
- 1980s Yves Saint Laurent Metallic BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZElevate your outfit with this Yves Saint Laurent belt from the 1980s! Gold metallic leather belt with gold hammered belt-buckle. Marked a size medium. Measures 34 inches total.Category
1980s Italian Belts
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery