- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1960s Yves Saint Laurent Tan Cloche Bow Hat
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 4 in (10.16 cm)Diameter: 21 in (53.34 cm)Length: 12 in (30.48 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Scottsdale, AZ
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU16723421233
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Stunning 1960's Mr Individual Melbourne Turban HatLocated in Scottsdale, AZBeautifully constructed 1960's Mr Individual, Melbourne Turban hat made of chiffon that is interwoven in hot pink, emerald green and blue with a fun side tassel. Made forsale in Myer...Category
1960s Australian Hats
- 1980s Yves Saint Laurent Metallic BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZElevate your outfit with this Yves Saint Laurent belt from the 1980s! Gold metallic leather belt with gold hammered belt-buckle. Marked a size medium. Measures 34 inches total.Category
1980s Italian Belts
- Yves Saint Laurent Woven Straw Boater Hat, 1960sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis amazing 1960s Yves Saint Laurent hat is a unique twist on the traditional boater style! Made of a quality woven straw material in contrasting shades of tan, brown and cream in a...Category
1960s French Hats
- Yves Saint Laurent Suede Wedge Sandal HeelsBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZThese are the most stunning Saint Laurent heels! The simple design is complete elegance. These heels are featured in a beautiful brown suede that is in great condition with no notabl...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian High Heels
- Yves Saint Laurent Mod Cream Wool Saucer Tam Hat, 1960sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis vintage Yves Saint Laurent cream wool tam style hat, circa late 1960's, is too chic to ignore. This hat features a cream wool exterior along with cream pin stripe top stitch det...Category
1960s French Berets
- Rare 1970s Yves Saint Laurent Knitted Peacock BeanieBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZA very rare 1970's Yves Saint Laurent knitted stretch beanie! Black knitted wool and acrylic blend accented with reverse peacock feather in cranberry with teal inside of it and teal ...Category
Late 20th Century French Beanies
- Yves Saint Laurent Headscarf Hat, 1960sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZYour perfect summer hat has arrived- with our amazing 1960s Yves Saint Laurent headscarf hat! Woven straw brim with purple and green stitching. Wrapped with blue, violet and green st...Category
1960s French Hats
- 1960s/70s Yves Saint Laurent Haute Couture Paneled Felt HatBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a beautiful orange paneled Yves Saint Laurent Haute Couture hat. From the 1960-70s, this custom, made-to-order, piece features felt panels in an alternating ora...Category
1960s French Hats
- Yves Saint Laurent Ivory and Black Thin Striped Cotton Shirt - 36 - 1960'sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in West Palm Beach, FLYves Saint Laurent Vintage Ivory and Black Thin Striped Cotton Button Up Shirt - 36 - 1960's. This vintage long sleeve, cotton, button up is ivory and black with thin vertical stripe...Category
1960s French Shirts
- 1970's YVES SAINT LAURENT safari jacketBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Fransisco, CATan safari jacket with gathered waist and chest pockets designed by Yves Saint Laurent dating to the 1970's. No size is indicated however this best fits a US 4-8. Metal zip closure. ...Category
1970s French Jackets
- 1970s Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Silk Henley ShirtBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Toronto, Ontario1970s YSL green, orange, blue and purple vertical and horizontal stripe silk shirt. Henley style with six buttons down the centre front. Mandarian collar and bishop sleeves. Excellen...Category
1970s French Blouses and Tops
- Yves Saint Laurent 1960s YSL Gold Raffia Strawl Vintage 60s Cloche HatBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CAChic 1960s YVES SAINT LAURENT gold raffia straw cloche hat ! Features a beautiful muted gold. Can be worn multiple ways, as pictured. Pair with jeans and a tank, a dress, etc. Great ...Category
1960s French Cloche Hats
- 1960s Yves Saint Laurent YSL Tan Woven Raffia Vintage 60s Straw Cloche HatBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CAChic 1960s YVES SAINT LAURENT YSL tan / brown woven raffia straw cloche style hat ! Features two rope details at the side. Intricate woven raffia over straw. Very unique, and extreme...Category
1960s French Cloche Hats
- Yves Saint Laurent 1960s YSL Black Gunmetal Bronze Sequin Vintage 60s Cloche HatBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CAExtremely chic mid 60s YVES SAINT LAURENT YSL fully sequined 1920s style cloche hat ! Features thousands of hand-sewn sequins in black, gunmetal silver and bronze rose gold. Lined wi...Category
1960s French Hats
- Original 1920's Flapper Cloche Hat With Metal Raffia Weave and Feather TrimLocated in London, GBThis exquisite 1920s flapper cloche hat with metallic raffia weave is in excellent vintage condition. The hat is molded in soft red felt, with a gross-grain band on in the interior s...Category
1920s American Cloche Hats
- Vintage 1920s Cobalt Blue velvet cloche hatLocated in NEWARK, GBA beautiful vintage late 1920s era cloche hat. A deep bucket style cloche hat with a short floppy brim in a rich cobalt blue. The hat has a woven half band with fanned detailing an...Category
Early 20th Century British Cloche Hats$185Free Shipping
- Chantal Thomass hair-breaded sculpture hat «African Summer » Collection,S/S 92By Chantal ThomassLocated in London, GBThe French fashion designer Chantal Thomass launched her label in 1975. At the end of the 70s together with figures such as Montana, Mugler and Kenzo that was celebrated for their i...Category
1990s French Hats
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery