- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
CHRISTIAN DIOR c.2011 Chocolate Brown Felt Velvet Bow Wide Tilted Brim Fedora
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Thiensville, WI
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Givenchy and Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior, where he produced scores of celebrated looks for Dior Haute Couture. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
- CHRISTIAN DIOR Early c.1960’s Couture Black Crochet Knit Layered Cap HatBy Christian Dior, Marc BohanLocated in Thiensville, WICHRISTIAN DIOR Early c.1960’s Couture Black Crochet Knit Layered Cap Hat Circa: Early 1960’s Label(s): Christian Dior / New York Style: Knit Hat Color(s): Black Lined: Yes Unmark...Category
- CHRISTIAN DIOR Chapeaux c.1960's MARC BOHAN Chinchilla Fur Bumper HatBy Christian Dior, Marc BohanLocated in Thiensville, WIVintage c.1960's Christian Dior Chapeaux chinchilla fur hat designed by Marc Bohan. Bell shaped body with wide turned up brim. Heathered gray wool hat band with bow at center back. G...Category
- CHRISTIAN DIOR c.2000's John Galliano Black Leather Croc Embossed Tapered PantBy Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in Thiensville, WICHRISTIAN DIOR c.2000’s John Galliano Designed Black Lambskin Leather Croc Embossed Tapered Pants Circa: 2000's Label(s): Christian Dior Boutique Designer: John Galliano Style: Pa...Category
Early 2000s Pants
- STYLE SQUARE Distinctive Hats c.1910’s Rolled Brim Ostrich Velveteen Cloche HatLocated in Thiensville, WISTYLE SQUARE Distinctive Hats c.1910’s Edwardian / Victorian Rolled Brim Ostrich Velveteen Cloche Hat Circa: 1910 Label(s): “Style Square Distinctive Hats” Label on interior, and 2...Category
- MADAME AGNES c.1930's Midnight Navy Blue Plisse Pleat Silk Turban Dinner HatBy AgnesLocated in Thiensville, WIVintage c.1930's midnight navy blue / black pleated silk turban style dinner hat. Plisse pleated silk body. Gather twisted pleat floppy brim comes to a center knot at forehead. Black...Category
- SAINT LAURENT S/S 2019 Black Fur Felt Wide Brim Western Fedora HatBy Anthony Vaccarello, Saint LaurentLocated in Thiensville, WISAINT LAURENT S/S 2019 Black Fur Felt Wide Brim Western Fedora Hat Brand / Manufacturer: Saint Laurent Collection: Spring / Summer 2019 Designer: Anthony Vaccarello Style: Wide br...Category
You May Also Like
Early 2000s Hats
Recently ViewedView More
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery