Hermés "Le Soleil Royal" Silk Turban
About the Item
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Off White Hermes Fedora With Brown Classic StrapBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis off white Hermes hat with a classic brown strap is a simplistic and stylish look that shows class. Bringing out both feminine and masculine undertone...Category
2010s French Hats
- Hermés 1970s Astrology Bucket HatBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZFor every Hermés lover! Circa 1970s, this bucket hat features the recognizable astrology motif designed by Francoise Faconnet and a band around the base of the crown. Created in 1963, the astrology motif was rereleased various times throughout the 1970s, 1980s and early 2000s, and “. . . is a fascinating interpretation of a 400-year-old celestial charting...Category
1970s French Hats
- Yves Saint Laurent 1960s Rose FascinatorBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZFeel Nothing But Chic In This Fascinator! Circa 1960s, this YSL fascinator features layered white sheer fabric and a white rose at the top. Includes white leafs and pink bows stickin...Category
1960s French Hats
- Bottega Veneta Straw Beret HatLocated in Scottsdale, AZIf you're a lover of Beret's than this is one to add to your collection. 1980's Bottega Veneta Beret straw hat featured with a metallic silver/white leather tassel. Dead stock with original tags. The perfect cap to style with your Chanel outfit and YSL handbag...Category
Late 20th Century Berets
- Yves Saint Laurent 1960s Wide Brim Straw Boater HatBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZIncredible straw boater hat from designer Yves Saint Laurent circa the 1960s! Golden yellow woven straw in the classic boater style construction. Accented with thick band of striped ...Category
1960s French Hats
- Vintage Straw Hat 1950s from I Magnin & Co Importers w/ Velvet Ribbon & FlowersBy I. MagninLocated in Portland, ORA perfect vintage hat for Spring and Summer! This late 1940's or early 1950's vintage hat came from our favorite estate of all time and it is, as was everything she owned, in excelle...Category
1940s American Hats
- Schiaparelli Nude Neutrals Tri-Color Velvet and Silk Jersey Cloche Hat–S-M, 1965By SchiaparelliLocated in Tucson, AZThis dramatic cloche combines a modern, neutral colorway with artisanal details like carved buttons and silk jersey pleating to create a hat pairable with anything from a cocktail dress to trousers. Silk jersey cloche with graduated brim slightly longer in front than in rear. Tricolor bands feature cocoa brim, pleated nude center and black velvet crown...Category
1960s French Cloche Hats
- Hermès Beige Hemp Summer Hat Size 56By HermèsLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2The Hermès hat is a stylish and lightweight accessory, perfect for sunny days. Crafted from high-quality hemp material, it features a timeless beige color, a wide brim for sun protec...Category
2010s Italian Hats
- White Flower HatBy Lord & TaylorLocated in Alford, MASmall-brimmed 1950s hat decorated with clusters of white flowers and green leaves and finished with a green velvet band. Stiff lace structure underneath. Retailed by Lord & Taylor. ...Category
1950s American Hats
- Hermes Western Beige HatBy HermèsLocated in Montreal, QuebecCOLOR: Beige MATERIAL: 56% cotton and 44& viscose CIRCUMFERENCE: 21” ITEM CODE: 57 CONDITION: Excellent - minimal signs of use. Made in ItalyCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Hats
- 1950s Straw, Satin and Pearl HatLocated in Toronto, OntarioDarling hat from the 1950s. Natural straw with thick large ruched satin band around the crown of the hat, embellished with small teardrop shaped pearls and beads. Small brim. Excelle...Category
1950s American Hats
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
This Hermès Baseball Bag Is, Ahem, a Home Run
The beloved Bolide, one of the luxury house’s classic travel pieces, gets a playful spin in this 2018 special edition.