Chanel Hand Muff White & Black Logo
View Similar Items
Chanel Hand Muff White & Black Logo
About the Item
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- 1960s Halston Ivory White Brown Mongolian Lamb Fur Vintage 60s Hat and Muff RareBy Halston, Roy Halston FrowickLocated in San Diego, CAChic and super rare early 60s HALSTON Mongolian lamb fur hat and matching muff ! Jackie O Kennedy wore a Halston hat and muff to the 1961 presidential inau...Category
1960s American Muffs
- 1930s Cocoa Brown Silk Velvet Purse/MuffLocated in San Francisco, CA1930s Cocoa Brown Silk Velvet Purse/Muff with detailed ruching along the top and arm openings. The top has a zippered compartment with an etched celluloid zipper-pull and brass links...Category
- Vibrant Sapphire Curled Ostrich Feather Muff 1930sLocated in New York, NYVibrant Sapphire Curled Ostrich Feather Muff from France, 1930's with wrist strap. Art Deco period. Excellent condition.Category
1930s French Muffs
- Vibrant Emerald Curled Ostrich Feather Muff 1930sLocated in New York, NYVibrant Emerald Curled Ostrich Feather Muff from the Art Deco period. 1930's France. Excellent condition.Category
Early 20th Century French Muffs
- Yves Saint Laurent Sheared Beaver & Silk Embroidery Button CuffsBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent removable cuffs of sheared beaver combined with embroidered silk if accented with a button opening. The length measures 10 1/2" when opened with 1 1/2" allowance t...Category
1990s French Gloves
- Adrienne Landau Bold Red with Sable Tails MuffBy Adrienne LandauLocated in New York, NYThis elegant Adrienne Landau red muff is fully lined with a hidden zipper compartment within for your personal items if desired. The ends are highlighted with rich wonderful long sab...Category
1990s Italian Muffs
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.