- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
S/S 1998 Gucci by Tom Ford Runway Ad Square Rhinestone G Logo Kitten Heels
About the Item
- Dimensions:Width: 3.25 in (8.26 cm)Length: 11 in (27.94 cm)Marked Size: 8 1/2 B (US)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. These shoes are in beautiful condition and show light signs of wear. The soles are slightly scuffed/worn. The shoes also have a light glue residue where the crystals meet the soles, this is from the manufacturer. Light marks at heels and tips.
- Seller Location:Philadelphia, PA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2388213455492
Tom Ford for Gucci
No one understands sex appeal quite like Tom Ford, who joined Gucci as a womens-wear designer in 1990.
At the time, the internationally renowned Italian label was better known for leather goods than luxury fashion. It was also nearly bankrupt. After creative director Dawn Mello left in 1994, following a Bahrain-based investment group becoming Gucci’s majority shareholder, Ford was named creative director. The American designer soon infused the brand with a fresh sensuality and bold style.
Ford's potent vision of sexed-up femininity spanned everything from shirts to shoes to other accessories at Gucci — he reimagined the house's iconic double-ring-and-bar Horsebit hardware, a reference to the brand’s equestrian history, as a seductive low-slung belt, worn by Madonna when accepting an MTV video music award in 1995. For his fall show during that year, in which Kate Moss walked down the runway in an unbuttoned satin shirt, velvet hip-huggers and tousled hair, heralded an exciting, glammed-up era for the once fusty brand. Vogue critic Sarah Mower called it “one of those hitting-in-the-solar-plexus moments.”
As Ford shot to fame, he continued to explore plunging necklines, such as in the black and white looks of the Fall 1996 collection, and sumptuous fabrics like leather and tweed, with the Fall 2000 ready-to-wear collection ranging from sultry silk evening dresses to plush belted coats.
Ford also cranked up the seduction in the provocative ads for Gucci, particularly with regard to campaigns for Yves Saint Laurent, which the fashion house acquired in 1999 (Ford was also named creative director for YSL and designed the brand’s ready-to-wear collection). Gucci's Fall/Winter 1997 campaign featured Carolyn Murphy grasping Angela Lindvall in what looked like a video still; in another shot, a face pressed against a foot in a lipstick-red heel. Each promoted a vision of modern fashion where women were sexually confident, the materials were luxurious and the styles were fearless.
In 2004, Ford and Gucci president Domenico De Sole left the company after failing to agree on the renewal of their contracts. In 2006, with De Sole as chairman, Ford launched his wildly successful eponymous menswear label. Today Ford is also an author, film director and chairman of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
Find vintage Tom Ford Gucci day dresses, jackets and handbags on 1stDibs.
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- S/S 1997 Gucci By Tom Ford Purple Metallic Python Ankle Strap Pump Ad CampaignBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a stunning pair of metallic python Gucci heels, designed by Tom Ford. This pair of pointed toe pumps feature an ankle strap and are constructed entirely of a pu...Category
1990s Italian Shoes$1,000 Sale Price20% Off
- S/S 1998 Gucci by Tom Ford GG Rhinestone Crystal Kitten Heels Black & GreyBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: Absolutely iconic, these heels were designed by Tom Ford during his time as the creative director of Gucci for the S/S 1998 collection. The small/kitten heels f...Category
1990s Italian Shoes$3,000 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford 'GG' Monogram Black Velvet Heel Boots Size 7.5BBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a pair of black velvet 'GG' monogram steel heel boots, designed by Tom Ford. From the Fall/Winter 1997 collection, the red velvet and black patent leather versi...Category
1990s Italian Shoes$1,596 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 2004 Gucci by Tom Ford Rhinestone Purple Dragon Chain Heels Size 8.5 BBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a pair of stunning shimmery purple leather Gucci dragon heels, designed by Tom Ford. From the Fall/Winter 2004 collection, these strap heels feature a Gucci 'GG' monogram insole and an interlocking metal dragon...Category
1990s Italian Heels$1,036 Sale Price20% Off
- S/S 2004 Gucci by Tom Ford Grey Satin Bow Heel Size 9 BBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a pair of silver satin Gucci pumps, designed by Tom Ford. From the Spring/Summer 2004 collection, these heels feature strap details, a zipper at the heel, and a black bow accent. These open-toe heels have been seen on Sarah Jessica Parker and are the perfect Gucci by Tom Ford pump...Category
Early 2000s Italian Heels$636 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 2002 Gucci by Tom Ford Black Braided Leather Strap Heels Size 7.5 BBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a pair of black leather braided Gucci strap heels, designed by Tom Ford. From 2002, these gorgeous heels feature a square toe and have interwoven braided leathe...Category
Early 2000s Italian Heels$876 Sale Price20% Off
- Vintage Tom Ford for Gucci S/S 1998 Red Crocodile Crystal G Sandals Shoes 40 CBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Montgomery, TXVintage Tom Ford for Gucci Red Crocodile Shoes Sandals S/S 1998 Collection Designer size 40 C - US 10 C Limited Edition, Genuine Crocodile, Crystal G on One Heel, Leather Insole & So...Category
1990s Italian Sandals
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage Tom Ford for Gucci F/W 1996 Black Jersey Dress Gown w Pony Hair Belt 42By Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Montgomery, TXVintage Runway Tom Ford for Gucci Black Jersey Dress Gown F/W 1996 Collection Designer size - 42 Black Jersey, Fully Lined, Slip-on Style. Black Pony Hair Belt...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Gucci by Tom Ford brown silk bias cut evening dress with leg slit, fw 1999By Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in London, GB▪ Gucci deep brown silk evening maxi dress ▪ Designed by Tom Ford ▪ Sabrina neckline with hook fastenings at the shoulder ▪ Ruched seam across the bodice ▪ Leg slit ▪ Silk chiffo...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano purple glass bead choker necklace, ss 1998By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior purple glass bead choker necklace ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ 18-strands of purple glass beads with 3 looped strands ▪ Larg...Category
1990s French Neckties
- John Galliano pale pink satin backed crepe trained evening slip dress, ss 1995By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano satin backed crepe evening slip dress ▪ Spaghetti straps ▪ Cowl neckline ▪ Trained skirt ▪ Multiple satin panels form a geometric...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- John Galliano gold jacquard knitted lurex evening dress, ss 1998By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano gold jacquard knitted lurex evening dress ▪ Plunging v-neck ▪ Black mesh overlay ▪ Fishtail skirt ▪ Low back ▪ Sold with matching ...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Alexander McQueen 1996 The Hunger White Cotton & Silk Asymmetrical Ruffled DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Portland, ORWe love vintage Alexander McQueen and he designed this dress for his Spring Summer 1996 collection. This beautiful white dress has a tube fitting bodice with spaghetti straps and fit...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Gucci by Tom Ford beige and brown lizard over the knee boots, fw 1999By Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in London, GB▪ Gucci beige and brown lizard skin over knee boots ▪ Designed by Tom Ford ▪ Pointed toe ▪ Brown wooden 4.25-inch heel ▪ Zipper with leather pull at inseam ▪ Size EU 39 C ▪ Fall-Wi...Category
1990s Italian Boots
- 1 of 1 Atelier Versace S/S 2005 Gold Oroton and Blue Swarovski Chainmail TopBy Atelier VersaceLocated in Rome, IT1 of 1 Atelier Versace Metal Mesh Low cut Top from Spring/Summer 2005. Double Gold Oroton and Blue Swarovski Chainmail with internal nude corse...Category
Early 2000s Italian Tank Tops
- ICONIC Gucci by Tom Ford Black Studded OTK Bondage High Heel Boots 2003 37.5CBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHCOLLECTOR'S ITEM GUCCI COLLECTION FALL / WINTER 2003 MOST FEATURED ITEM - SOLD OUT IMMEDIATELY A GUCCI classic signature piece that will last you...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoes
- Rare Gucci by Tom Ford Velvet Brocade Print Flats Slippers Loafers 8.5BBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHRare Gucci by Tom Ford Velvet Loafers Finest velvet with brocade print Rare find Made in Italy Marked Size 8.5BCategory
Early 2000s Italian Slippers$349 Sale Price41% Off
- ICONIC Gucci by Tom Ford Cognac Brown Studded OTK Bondage Boots FW2003 7.5 37.5By Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHCOLLECTOR'S ITEM GUCCI COLLECTION FALL / WINTER 2003 MOST FEATURED ITEM - SOLD OUT IMMEDIATELY A GUCCI classic signature piece that will last y...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoes
- 2002 VINTAGE TOM FORD for GUCCI BLACK ALLIGATOR SHOESBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Montgomery, TXTOM FORD for GUCCI ALLIGATOR SHOES Fall Winter 2002 RICH, LUXURIOUS AND SEXY! Genuine Alligator skin Color: Black Leather lining and sole H...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Shoes
- New Tom Ford For Gucci Black Velvet Satin Final Collection Heels Sz 10By GucciLocated in Leesburg, VARare Tom Ford for Gucci Brand New * Stunning in Black Satin and Velvet * Rare Tom Ford's Farwell Collection * Satin Ankle Strap * Leather Footbed * Size: 10 *Velvet Heel * 5" Heel * ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoes$985 Sale Price44% Off
- New Gucci Runway Suede Brocade Heels Sz 8.5By GucciLocated in Leesburg, VAGucci Brocade Heels Brand New * Size: 8.5 * Black Suede & Silver Brocade * Open Toe * Satin Ankle Straps * Metallic Quilted Soft Leather Insole * 3.5...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Shoes$975 Sale Price30% Off
Recently ViewedView More
This Versace Minidress Is the Epitome of Y2K Red-Carpet Style
Ready to party? So is this dress.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery