- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1980s Christian Dior Gold Plated Tie Paper Clip
About the Item
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2038217124572
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- 1980s Gucci Equestrian Wooden Web Stripe Boot JackBy GucciLocated in London, GBAn exceptional piece from the very core of Gucci House, this boot jack is made of wood, featuring leather trim, original cloth leather stripe, gold tone...Category
1980s Italian Decorative Objects
- 1930s Art Deco Crystals Bakelite Jeweled Cards Pill BoxLocated in London, GBArt Deco card pill case, made from Bakelite, flip top hinged lid which is decorated with different coloured glass stones. It is a versatile object that can be worn as cigarette case...Category
1930s Italian Jewelry Boxes
- 1980s Gucci Web Chrome Table LighterBy GucciLocated in London, GBA rare vintage 1980s Gucci Italian table lighter in Lucite acrylic and metal chrome, stamped Gucci Made in Italy on the base. It splits in the middle as a vacuum hidden space for cigarettes or whatever you wish tucked away. It releases with a twist and has a Lucite push rod that is spring driven. The top s a Ronson lighter...Category
1980s For The Table
- Address Book and Pencil Case Designed by Salvatore Ferragamo for V&ABy Salvatore Ferragamo, FerragamoLocated in London, GBSet of Address Book and Pencils designed by Salvatore Ferragamo for V&A, the Victoria and Albert Museum Collection in South Kensington, London hard...Category
2010s Italian For The Desk
- 1980s Givenchy Gold-Tone and Black Resin Ballpoint PenBy GivenchyLocated in London, GBGivenchy ballpoint pen, gold coloured top, twist to open pen, logo on top, logo engraved Condition: 1980s, very goodCategory
1980s French For The Desk
- 1980s Christian Dior Ceramic Pink Leaves and Flowers BowlBy Christian DiorLocated in London, GBChristian Dior Ceramic Decorative Bow, pink leaves and flowers This elegant piece stands out with its timeless glazing, making it a perfect statement ...Category
1980s French Ashtrays
- Tiffany & Co. Gold Fish Hook Tie ClipBy Tiffany & Co.Located in New York, NYFigural "fish hook" tie clip. Made and signed by TIFFANY & CO. 18K yellow gold. 1 1/2" long. Rare and appealing subject. Alice Kwartler has sold the ...Category
Vintage 1960s American More JewelryMaterials
18k Gold$2,500Free Shipping
- Vintage 9ct Yellow Gold Millennium 2000 23rd Birthday Statement Tie Clip SlideLocated in Benfleet, GBA vintage 9ct gold tie clip featuring the rare Millennium hallmark Specially designed for the year 2000, these limited edition jewels are very rare 3.14g We have sold to the set ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary CufflinksMaterials
9k Gold, Yellow GoldSold$377Free Shipping
- Christian Dior Vintage 1980s Modernist Shell Crystals Gold Pendant NecklaceBy Christian DiorLocated in Feltham, GBVery good condition. Very light scratches, barely noticeable. Marked 'Chr.Dior (C) '. 100% Genuine. It is around 50 years old. This is a very stylish and rare piece of jewellery. ...Category
Vintage 1980s German Belle Époque Pendant NecklacesMaterials
- Dior Vintage Gold Plated Key ChainBy Christian DiorLocated in West Hollywood, CADior vintage gold plated keychain in very good condition. Rare find. Comes with original box.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Pouches and Wristlets
- New Vintage Christian Dior 2400 Mask Oversized Optyl Sunglasses 1980'sBy Christian DiorLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandNew Vintage Christian Dior 2400 Mask like frame sporting spotless lenses. Made in Germany. Produced and design in 1980's. New, never worn or displayed. Comes with its original s...Category
1970s German Sunglasses
- Christian Dior Vintage Silk Lace Slip DressBy Christian DiorLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis is an incredible feminine slip dress to add to your wardrobe today! Creating a staple wardrobe will make it so you never have nothing to wear. A simple silk black dress will give you hundreds of styling opportunities and will go with most of your closet. This is a beautiful number by none other than Christian Dior. This dress is from the 1980's making it a vintage gem you cannot pass up on. It is a midi length, with tank-top straps, and v-neck style. It has beautiful lace detailing through the neckline and the bottom hem. Don't miss out on the highly coveted details of this dress like the 'dior' embroidering on the skirt. Some imperfections in the silk. Pair this beautiful dress with a vintage Gucci jacket, some Prada slingback...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- Vhernier Rhodochrosite, Rock Crystal and Diamond Balloon EarclipsBy VhernierLocated in Weston, MAThese whimsical pink balloons fly high in the sky! Made of macaroon-colored rhodochrosite layered over rock crystal. Diamonds decorate the 18k gold ribbon ties. One inch long 26 r...Category
Late 20th Century Romantic Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Rock Crystal, Rhodocrosite, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$7,750 / setFree Shipping
- Hermes 18K Gold Tied Rope Knot Brooch by Georges L'enfantBy HermèsLocated in Wilmslow, GBA vintage 18k yellow gold Hermès tied gold knot rope design brooch by Georges L'Enfant. Made in France, Paris, Circa 1960’s. French marks 18k, ...Category
Vintage 1960s Clip-on EarringsMaterials
18k Gold$7,543Free Shipping
- Moschino Tortoise Shell with Interior & Exterior Name-Plate ArmsBy MoschinoLocated in New York, NYMoschino wonderfully detailed tortoise shell sunglass are engraved with the signature name-plate on both the exterior as well as the interior of both arms. The arms are also detailed...Category
1990s Italian Sunglasses
- Vintage CHRISTIAN DIOR gold crystal designer runway clip on earringsBy Christian DiorLocated in Palos Hills, ILDETAILS • signed CHRISTIAN DIOR • gold tone with crystals • vintage designer runway earrings MEASUREMENTS • 1" by 1" CONDITION • very good vintage condition with minimal signs...Category
20th Century French Clip-on Earrings$395Free Shipping
- CHRISTIAN DIOR Vintage Brown Leather Directory CoverBy Christian DiorLocated in Paris, FRVintage and trendy! Beautiful large directory cover in brown leather from Maison Christian Dior. The interior is in brown monogram canvas. This coverage is supplemented by a new dire...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Tech Accessories and Cases
- Vintage HERMES Horse Motif Gold Tone CombBy HermèsLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage HERMES Horse Motif Gold Tone Comb Measurements: Height: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Width: 3.93 inches (10 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic HERMES. - Iconic horse motif comb. - Gold ...Category
20th Century French Decorative Objects
- Vintage Yves Saint Laurent SunglassesBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in North Hollywood, CAVintage Yves Saint Laurent sunglasses. Vintage 1990s oval YSL sunglasses, vintage Yves St Laurent silver sunglasses, brown lens, YSL. These sharp sha...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Sunglasses$156 Sale Price20% Off
- Victorian Tortoiseshell LorgnetteLocated in New York, NYTortoiseshell lorgnette from the late 19th Century. Glasses slide back into handle which is delicately carved in "wave" patterns from base to top. There is also a ring at end which p...Category
Late 19th Century British Victorian Accessories
- Vintage Gucci Aviator Sunglasses 1990's Made in ItalyBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in North Hollywood, CAVintage Gucci Aviator sunglasses 1990's Made in Italy Gucci's in gilded gold hardware sunglasses with logo GG on temple. This item could show minor s...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Sunglasses$556 Sale Price20% Off
- Zenith Pilot Stainless Steel Mens Chronograph Watch 03.2430.4054 - Automatic. StBy RolexLocated in Dallas, TXRolex Leather Portfolio with Caran D'ache Pen - Green leather zip-around Rolex portfolio with creme interior, gold-tone hardware, 8 pockets, pen loops and Caran d'Ache for Rolex bal...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Swiss For The Desk
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery