- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Hermes Brown Leather Vintage Jacket Bordeaux Lined Cashmere / Wool 38 / 6
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Miami, FL
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- Hermes Zip Cardigan Quilted Hoodie Jacket Grey 40 / 6By HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers an Guaranteed authentic Hermes Zip Cardigan quilted hoodie featured in grey. Hoodie is lined in a blend of wool and camel hair. Quilted stitiching has small H detai...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Jackets
- Hermes Jacket Vintage Iridescent Quilted Parka Lush Fox Hoodie Trim 6By HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers a guaranteed authentic vintage Hermes iridescence quilted drawstring with lush fox trimmed hoodie. A bronzed olive tone to the brown. Quilted with stylized stitchin...Category
1980s French Coats
- Hermes Reversible Zip Cardigan Hoodie Black 36/ 4 NewBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers an Hermès Reversible Zip Cardigan featured in Black on Black. Warm with hood and quilted cotton, wool and plume canvas. Virgin wool with Losanges and H motifs. Reve...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Jackets
- Hermes Jacket Marine Deerskin Leather Riding Influence New w/ Tag 42/8By HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers a beautifully shaped Hermes jacket featured in Marine Deerskin. Collar is smooth Black Lambskin for an elegant contrast. Four (4) mirror buttons with Hermes name. T...Category
2010s French Jackets
- Hermes Reversible Zip Cardigan Hoodie Orange Saturne / Brown 40 / 8 NewBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers an Hermès Reversible Zip Cardigan featured in Orange Saturne and Brown. Warm with hood and quilted cotton, wool and plume canvas. Virgin wool with Losanges and H mo...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Jackets
- Hermes Vintage Les Fetes Du Roi Soleil Remarkable Reversible Jacket 38By HermèsLocated in Miami, FLGuaranteed authentic Hermes dramatic reversible silk Les Fetes Du Roi Soleil wadded jacket. Striking balloon hem with drawstring waist and box pleat detail. Black with brillian...Category
1990s French Anoraks and Parkas
- Hermes Sellier Cashmere Cape with FringeBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis is elegance and sophistication! Hermes has done it again! This beautifully handcrafted Hermes Sellier poncho is made out of a lux Merino Wool and Cashmere that is ultra-soft to ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Capes
- Hermes "Limited Edition" Reversible "Collection of Fowls" Cocoon Button JacketBy HermèsLocated in New York, NYHermes wonderfully detailed "Limited Edition" reversible "Collection of Fowls" cocoon button jacket displays "Collection of Fowls" in silk jacquard, accented with "horn" buttons...Category
1980s French Jackets
- HERMES x Martin Margiela Black 'H' Leather Women's Coat JacketBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition Leather Silk Lining Size FR 44 100% Authenticity Guaranteed by NEWFOUND LUXURYCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Jackets$6,340 Sale Price20% Off
- HERMES khaki gren cotton gaberdine 2018 BELTED TRENCH Coat Jacket 34 XXSBy HermèsLocated in Zürich, CH100% authentic Hermès trench coat in khaki cotton (100%). Comes with two slit pockets on the front and buttoned epaulettes on the cuffs. Has a waist belt. Opens with six Hermès butto...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Jackets
- Hermès Saddle Leather Safari Biker Jacket with Logo Buttons and Silk LiningBy HermèsLocated in Boston, MAWOW! Discreetly show off your impeccable taste in this saddle leather Hermès safari biker jacket. Flattering sexy deep back vents will show off the waist and curve - all so effortles...Category
2010s French Safari Jackets$5,587 Sale Price25% Off
- Hermès Long Golden Brown Goat Fur GiletBy HermèsLocated in London, GBThis is a beautiful goat fur gilet by Hermès. It features side slits and a small leather button closure at the front. Please inquire for any further details.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Vests
- Sculpted Dining Table in Solid OakwoodBy Sóha, Denis MilovanovLocated in Paris, FRDining table of solid oak (+ linseed oil) (Outdoor use OK) Warm furniture’s made by Russian designer Denis Milovanov from "Soha" studio. Simplicity of shapes. Authentic materia...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Russian Brutalist Dining Room TablesMaterials
Oak$10,793 / item
- Art Deco Inspired Vulcano Soap Holder in Pitch Black Aesop FriendlyBy Casa BotelhoLocated in London, GBNamed after the God of Fire, Vulcan, the Vulcano Soap Stand embodies the power of the Greek God through the use of strong, straight lines and metal finish. Perfectly designed for the...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Indian Art Deco More Desk AccessoriesMaterials
- Set/5 Vases, Ceramic Vases, White, Handmade in Portugal by Lusitanus HomeBy GreenappleLocated in Cartaxo, PTHenry & Steele Vases, Lusitanus Home Collection, Handcrafted in Portugal - Europe by Lusitanus Home. This beautiful set includes five waterproof ceramic vases, perfect to be display...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Portuguese Modern JarsMaterials
- Floor Lamp by Svend Aage Holm SorensenLocated in Saint-Ouen, FRFloor lamp by Svend Aage Holm Sorensen From 1960.Category
20th Century European Mid-Century Modern Floor LampsMaterials
- Re-Edition Sheepskin Clam Chair by Arnold MadsenBy Arnold MadsenLocated in London, GBOfficial Re-Edition of the iconic Clam Chair by Arnold Madsen. Dagmar in collaboration with the estate of Arnold Madsen is proud to re-launch the Clam Chair - one of the most cheris...Category
21st Century and Contemporary British Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Bouclé, Oak, Walnut, Sheepskin
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.