Museum Tom Ford for Gucci Runway F/W 1999 2 in 1 Fur Coat Jacket
About the Item
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Montgomery, TX
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU653111166702
Tom Ford for Gucci
No one understands sex appeal quite like Tom Ford, who joined Gucci as a womens-wear designer in 1990.
At the time, the internationally renowned Italian label was better known for leather goods than luxury fashion. It was also nearly bankrupt. After creative director Dawn Mello left in 1994, following a Bahrain-based investment group becoming Gucci’s majority shareholder, Ford was named creative director. The American designer soon infused the brand with a fresh sensuality and bold style.
Ford's potent vision of sexed-up femininity spanned everything from shirts to shoes to other accessories at Gucci — he reimagined the house's iconic double-ring-and-bar Horsebit hardware, a reference to the brand’s equestrian history, as a seductive low-slung belt, worn by Madonna when accepting an MTV video music award in 1995. For his fall show during that year, in which Kate Moss walked down the runway in an unbuttoned satin shirt, velvet hip-huggers and tousled hair, heralded an exciting, glammed-up era for the once fusty brand. Vogue critic Sarah Mower called it “one of those hitting-in-the-solar-plexus moments.”
As Ford shot to fame, he continued to explore plunging necklines, such as in the black and white looks of the Fall 1996 collection, and sumptuous fabrics like leather and tweed, with the Fall 2000 ready-to-wear collection ranging from sultry silk evening dresses to plush belted coats.
Ford also cranked up the seduction in the provocative ads for Gucci, particularly with regard to campaigns for Yves Saint Laurent, which the fashion house acquired in 1999 (Ford was also named creative director for YSL and designed the brand’s ready-to-wear collection). Gucci's Fall/Winter 1997 campaign featured Carolyn Murphy grasping Angela Lindvall in what looked like a video still; in another shot, a face pressed against a foot in a lipstick-red heel. Each promoted a vision of modern fashion where women were sexually confident, the materials were luxurious and the styles were fearless.
In 2004, Ford and Gucci president Domenico De Sole left the company after failing to agree on the renewal of their contracts. In 2006, with De Sole as chairman, Ford launched his wildly successful eponymous menswear label. Today Ford is also an author, film director and chairman of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
Find vintage Tom Ford Gucci day dresses, jackets and handbags on 1stDibs.
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Montgomery, TX
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Oscar De La Renta F/W 2010 Magenta Orchid Mink Coat Jacket size US 6By Oscar De La RentaLocated in Montgomery, TXOscar De La Renta Mink Coat Jacket F/W 2010 Collection Designer Size - 6 ( please check measurements ) Designer Colors - Magenta & Orchid 1...Category
2010s American Coats$7,116 Sale Price28% Off
- NWT Vintage Runway Gucci Black Leather Moto Jacket Italian 42 - US 6By GucciLocated in Montgomery, TXVintage Gucci Black Leather Moto Jacket Italian size 42 - US 6 Perfect for any season. In luxurious black leather, finished with metallic print and attached belt. 100% leather, Silve...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Coats and Outerwear
- NWT Etro Fringe Layered Silk Cardigan Coat Jacket Italian 40 - US 4By EtroLocated in Montgomery, TXNWT Etro Fringe Layered Silk Cardigan Coat Italian size 40 - US 4 Main colors - Black, Metallic Bronze, Green. Multy Layered, Fringe Finished, Two Front Packets, Snaps Closure, Full...Category
2010s Italian Coats
- Versace Runway Blue Fox Fur Silk Coat Jacket with Belt Italian 40By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXSuper rare and very gorgeous blue Fox fur coat, finished with a belt. Italian size 40 - US size 4 100% real fox fur, patent leather and 100% silk. Clos...Category
2010s Italian Jackets$8,625 Sale Price25% Off
- Oscar De La Renta Runway FW 2004 Beaded Embroidered Fur Trim Coat Cardigan 4 20By Oscar De La RentaLocated in Montgomery, TXOscar De La Renta Embellished Fur Trim Belted Coat Cardigan F/W 2004 Runway Collection Designer sizes available 4 and 20 ( will fit bigger sizes also) ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Coats
- New Gucci Gray Blue Mink Cape Jacket Italian 38By GucciLocated in Montgomery, TXNew Gucci Gray Blue Mink Cape Jacket Italian size 38 ( will fit bigger sizes also) 100% Mink, Origin - Finland, Oversize Collar, Three Quarter Sleeve, Fully ...Category
2010s Italian Capes
- Vintage KENZO Floral Haori Kimono CoatBy KenzoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KENZO Floral Haori Kimono Coat Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 27.36 inches (69.5 cm) Sleeves Length: 13.58...Category
1990s French Swing Coats
- Joseph Homme Mens Vintage Chesterfield CoatBy JosephLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireA stylish and rare vintage mens chesterfield style coat from the 90s by luxury British fashion house, Joseph. In a brown wool tweed with a waxed cotton collar, top stitching and mult...Category
- 1980s Gianni Versace Vintage Camel Alpaca Oversized Jacket With Shawl CollarBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Portland, ORThis 1980's vintage Gianni Versace oversized jacket is absolutely amazing! We love the fuzzy camel color alpaca wool blend for this particular silhouette. This jacket has shoulder p...Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- Pelush Moss Green and Brown Faux Fur Jacket In Faux Fox And Astrakhan -XS/SmallBy Pelush - Luxury Faux FursLocated in Greenwich, CTThe Olivia Pelush moss green and brown faux fur jacket is a one of a kind exclusive piece. Featuring the highest quality man made pelage this distinctive fur free jacket short coat is a beautiful replica of the long hair fox and Persian lamb Karakul boucle fur. The beautiful fall colors are custom made for Pelush. Both fabrics are soft and supple to the touch, with shimmer and movement, giving a luxurious and indulgent experience to the wearer. Classic, elegant and timeless. A collector garment to be proud to pass on to generations to come, an opportunity to share wonderful fashion memories and encourage a conversation of compassion and style, for the contemporary woman of the 21st Century. Lined with a surprising Italian floral brocade paisley fabric and orange piping. Perfect to wear every day with jeans and sweaters, with or without your favorite belt, this short coat jacket will keep you warm and stylish during the long fall/winter months. Raglan sleeves, bracelet sleeves, snaps to close, straight cut, vintage velvet hand dyed belt included, pockets. Bronze faux fur flower accessory...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Jackets
- NICE COLLECTIVE XL Olive Contrast Stitch Cotton JacketLocated in San Francisco, CANICE COLLECTIVE Jacket comes in an olive tone in a lightweight cotton material, with a high collar, contrast stitch, patch and slit pockets, hidden but...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Coats and Outerwear
- Jean Paul Gaultier JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Laguna Beach, CAVintage Jean Paul Gaultier white jacket with orange sleeves has metal buttons, signature zipper toggles, patch pockets and clips in back for an adjustable fit.Category
1980s French Cropped Jackets
- Isamu Kenmochi Coffee TableBy Isamu KenmochiLocated in San Francisco, CAA coffee table by Isamu Kenmochi in bent Brazilian rosewood with curved legs. Signed with applied manufacturer's label to underside: [Tendo]. Literature: Japanese Modern, Mori, pg. 143.Category
Vintage 1960s Japanese Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
RosewoodPrice Upon Request
- Hermes Birkin 30 Orange Crocodile Bag Palladium HardwareBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers a Niloticus Crocodile Hermes Birkin 30 bag featured in Orange. Fresh palladium hardware accentuates this gorgeous orange crocodile H...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- 21st Century Le Nuvole Sofà White S. Giobbi for Giovannetti CollezioniLocated in Casalguidi, ITSeat and backrest with wooden structure in multilayers and stell- Seat and backrest padding in polyurethane foam of different layers covered with tissue and synthetic fiber for bette...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
- GLASS SHELVES #1 '1976', by Shiro Kuramata for Glas ItaliaBy Glas Italia, Shiro KuramataLocated in Macherio, ITGlass Shelves #1 (1976) Shelves is shown here in the transparent glass. Bookcase characterised by the extraordinary formal cleanness and the golden proportions, entirely realized in ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Vintage Solitaire Cushion Shape Old Mine Diamond Ring, French, circa 1950Located in London, GBVintage solitaire cushion shape old mine diamond ring. Set with one central cushion shape old mine diamond, M colour, VS2 clarity, with an approximate weight of 3.01 carats, in an op...Category
Vintage 1950s French Solitaire RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Gold, Yellow Gold$46,672Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery