New VERSACE BLONDE PRINT SATIN BOMBER JACKET 38 - 2
About the Item
Subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive, Gianni Versace’s (1946–97) designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos. “I don’t believe in good taste,” the legendary Italian couturier once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration. In fact, the New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom! '90” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace was born in Reggio di Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. This adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Montgomery, TX
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- NEW GIANNI VERSACE 1990-s RARE COUTRE FLORAL COAT 40 - 6By Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE Multi-colored coat from Gianni Versace Couture featuring a v-neck and large enamel buttons. 4 Gold-Tone Front Buttons 2 Side Pockets Content: 55% Viscose, 45 % Cotton Li...Category
1990s Italian Coats and Outerwear
- New Versace Belted Tan Trench Coat for MenBy VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE TRENCH COAT for MEN Color: Tan 52% viscose 30% polyester 18% cotton Gold Medusa buttons Belt Elastic cuffs Two pockets Very comfortable and extremely luxurious! Italian size 50...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Trench Coats
- Versace Beige Textured Wool Coat for MenBy VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE COAT Textured Greek Key pattern Medusa print lining 60% wool, 40% pure virgin wool Gold Medusa buttons Very comfortable and extremely luxurious! Italian siz...Category
2010s Italian Coats
- BRAND New VERSACE BEIGE LAMB LEATHER BOMBER JACKET 50 - 40 (M)By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE ZIPPER JACKET from soft lamb leather Content: 100% lamb leather Italian size is 50- US US 40 (M) Measures laying flat unscratched: shoulder to shoulder 23 1/2" arm...Category
2010s Italian Jackets
- NEW VERSACE WHITE BLACK ALPACA COAT for MENBy VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXNEW VERSACE WHITE BLACK ALPACA COAT for MEN 84% Alpaca, 12% Acetate, 4% Nylon Fully lined with Medusa signature lining. Detailed with Medusa buttons and ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Coats
- Dolce & Gabbana Runway Yellow and White Striped Robe Coat Swim Coverup, 2013By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in San Francisco, CADolce and Gabbana Spring 2013 wide sleeve robe inspired swing coat in white, putty, yellow, orange, black, and brown painterly stripes. Textured weave. Patch pockets at front. Open f...Category
2010s Italian Coats and Outerwear
- Documented Gianni Versace Couture 1992 Runway Jacket with BowsBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Amsterdam, NLCOLLECTORS ITEM- documented An iconic Gianni Versace Couture jacket from spring 1992 ready to wear show, one of Versace's most important and sought after collections. Material: 15 %...Category
1990s Italian Coats and Outerwear
- Pelush Ivory Tapestry Couture Coat with Embroidered Botanical Flowers - SmallBy Pelush - Luxury Faux FursLocated in Greenwich, CTThe Elizabeth Pelush ivory tapestry Couture coat with embroidered botanical flowers is a one of a kind exclusive piece. Crafted with the most beautiful handmade multi colored sparkli...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Coats
- Traina-Norell Mod Ivory ¾ Coat with Contrast Piping - Medium, 1950sBy Traina-NorellLocated in Tucson, AZFamous for making ready-to-wear clothes with the same meticulousness that other designers reserved for couture, Norman Norell excelled when creating crisp, clean silhouettes that sho...Category
1950s American Car Coats
- Verheyen London Leopard Print Coat in Natural Goat Hair Fur UK 10By Verheyen LondonLocated in London, GBVerheyen London Leopard Print Coat in Natural Goat Hair Fur UK 10 RRP Price £1,695 This Leopard print coat is Verheyen London’s classic staple for effortless style and glamour. A co...Category
2010s Italian Coats
- Verheyen London Leather Trench Coat in Dark Khaki Green - Size uk 8By Verheyen LondonLocated in London, GBVerheyen London Leather Trench Coat in Dark Khaki Green - Size uk 8 Handmade in London, made with 100% Italian Lambs Leather this luxury item is an investment piece to wear for a li...Category
2010s British Trench Coats