Jean Paul Gaultier mini dress 1990s
About the Item
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Austin, TX
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- 1990s Anna Sui Victorian Print Silk Mini DressBy Anna SuiLocated in Austin, TX1990s Anna Sui black silk mini dress with Victorian print. Size 42/ US S 29" length, 34" bust, 32" waist. Condition: Excellent.Category
1990s American Day Dresses
- 1960s Rudi Gernreich Black Silk Chiffon DressBy Rudi GernreichLocated in Austin, TX1960s Rudi Gegnerisch black silk chiffon dress. Two layers of sheer chiffon, sewn together at hem. 34" bust, 29" waist, 60" hips, 37 1/2" le...Category
1960s American Day Dresses
- 1990's Dolce & Gabbana Black Nylon Slip DressBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Austin, TX1990's Dolce & Gabbana Black Nylon Slip Dress Excellent condition Nylon fabric Made in Italy Size S/M Bust: 28"-38", Waist: 25"-36", Hips: 41"-54", Length: 44.5"Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- 1991 Dolce & Gabbana High Waist Corset Skirt Lace Top " pin up collection "By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Austin, TXF/W 1991 Dolce & Gabbana 'Pin-up' collection High Waist Corset Skirt Lace Bra Top Condition: Excellent Skirt is elastane & spandex- top is un...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- 2000 Comme des Garcons Slash DressBy Rei Kawabuko, Comme des GarçonsLocated in Austin, TX2000 Comme des Garcons Red Slash Dress from SS 2000 34" bust, 32" waist, 40" hips, 53.75" lenght Size S 50% polyester, 50% cotton Condition: Some spots, see photosCategory
Early 2000s Japanese Day Dresses
- Chloe Navy Blue/White Striped Knit Sleeveless Flared Maxi Dress MBy ChloéLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2This stylish maxi dress is a fashionable and versatile piece that exudes elegance and comfort. With its long silhouette, it provides a flattering and feminine look. Designed with chi...Category
2010s Italian Casual Dresses
- Burberry Black Jersey Chain Detailed Short Dress MBy BurberryLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Look nothing but lovely as you don this marvelous dress from Burberry. Pair it with your favorite accessories as you head out for the day.Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- CHANEL 11S CC Logo Champagne Beige Knit Dress Sz.38By ChanelLocated in Krakow, PL2011 Spring Summer Collection ・sleeveless heavyweight knit dress ・scoop neck ・interlocking CC pattern at hem ・single interlocking CC button closure at nape ・76% Viscose, 24% Polya...Category
2010s Day Dresses
- Comme des garçons Black Leather Grommets PurseBy Rei Kawakubo, Comme des GarçonsLocated in Beverly Hills, CAComme des garcons cross over black leather grommets purse. Measurement: Strap length: 21 inches / Purse width: 8 inches ( see images)Category
1980s Japanese Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Chic 1960s Black and White Gingham Long Sleeve A - Line Vintage 60s Wool DressLocated in San Diego, CAChic late 1960s black and white large houndstooth long sleeve A-line dress! Features a fitted bodice with a full skirt. Oversized collar, and bell sleeves that cuff at the hem. Featu...Category
1960s American Shift Dresses
- S/S 1999 Thierry Mugler Black Asymmetrical Dress with Oval Paillette 'Fringe'By Thierry MuglerLocated in North Hollywood, CAS/S 1999 Thierry Mugler black asymmetrical dress with oval paillette 'fringe.' One-shoulder above-knee dress with asymmetrical hem, featuring ...Category
1990s Maxi Dresses