Moschino Floral Stretch Cotton Summer Dress
About the Item
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Moschino Couture Tan Brocade Floral Puff DressBy Moschino Couture, MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino couture tan brocade floral puff dress This Brocade dress is perfect for the Bridgerton crowd! Lady like glamour can get sexy with just one zip! Se...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- Moschino Dusty Pink Crepe 1940s Style DressBy MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino dusty pink crepe 1940s style dress Be retro glam wearing this vintage dress by Moschino, which has a 1940s vibe. Side zipper. Velvet cherry's on t...Category
1990s Day Dresses
- Moschino Couture One Shoulder Silk Flower Graffiti DressBy Moschino Couture, MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino couture one shoulder silk flower graffiti dress Summer and vacation dressing shins wearing this silk one shoulder dress by Moschino Couture. N...Category
2010s Hungarian Day Dresses
- Nicole Miller Chess Print Pawn Horse Queen King Jacket DressBy Nicole MillerLocated in Los Angeles, CANicole Miller chess print pawn horse queen king jacket dress Nicole Miller makes special occasion shines with this unique Chess Board print dress with fun...Category
1990s Unknown Day Dresses
- Moschino Cheap Chic Black Red Wool Rick Rack DressBy Moschino Cheap and Chic, MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic black red wool rick rack dress Be retro glam wearing this vintage wool dress by Moschino! Bold color block design with rick rack! A few ...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Moschino Cheap and Chic Black Satin Panel DressBy Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic black satin panel dress The little black dress gets a retro update with this vintage piece by Moschino Cheap and Chic. Just add pearls, heels and you! Brand run...Category
1990s Italian Casual Dresses
- 1980S GIANFRANCO FERRE Cinnamon Brown Cotton Poplin Safari Style Shirt Dress WiBy Gianfranco FerréLocated in New York, NY1980S GIANFRANCO FERRE Cinnamon Brown Cotton Poplin Safari Style Shirt Dress With PocketsCategory
1980s Italian Day Dresses
- Azzedine Alaia cotton coat dress with César Baldaccini print, ss 1985By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in London, GB▪ Azzedine Alaia multicoloured cotton coat dress ▪ Wide short sleeves ▪ Button-up front ▪ Voluminous pleated ankle length skirt ▪ 2 side pockets ▪ 2 front flap pockets ▪ 2 ties a...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- Deco Chiffon Print DressLocated in New York, NYDeco print tiered chiffon dance dress from the 1920s. Lovely abstract florals on burnt ochre crinkle silk chiffon base with flounces at the waist and neck. Side snap entry.
1920s American Art Deco Informal Dresses
- Vintage Horrocks Dress and BoleroLocated in London, GBA fun vintage dress by Horrocks with a matching bolero. The dress is in a brown and white print with a lace frill at the hem. The dress has a sweetheart neckline, boning in the bodi...Category
1950s British Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery