- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Saint Laurent Vintage Cable Knit Sweater Dress with a V-Neck
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sparks, NV
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- Rare 1970s Yves Saint Laurent YSL Vintage Long Black Wool Maxi Vest or DressBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Sparks, NVRare and iconic vintage Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche 1970s black wool button up maxi vest or dress from the estate of Pamela Lewis (Jerry Lewis/ Gary Lewis). Can be worn as either ...Category
1970s French Vests
- Rare 1960s Vintage Yves Saint Laurent Orange Silk Print Shift Dress with AscotBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Sparks, NVRare 1960s vintage Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche dress in block printed silk. Fully lined with pussy bow tie and long sleeves. Hand done stitching throughout including the button ho...Category
1960s French Shift Dresses
- Unworn with Tags 1970s Crissa (Italy) Mohair Wool Knit Maxi Dress in Off WhiteBy Crissa Linea Italiana, Saks Fifth Avenue Young DimensionsLocated in Sparks, NVItalian-made vintage 1970s mohair wool knit dress by Crissa with the original tags still attached! Partially lined with rear zip closure. 80% mohair, 20% rayon. The marked size is 6,...Category
1970s Italian Maxi Dresses
- Silk Shantung White Beaded Sequin and Rhinestone Vintage Formal Gown, 1960sBy DynastyLocated in Sparks, NVBeautiful vintage 1960s silk shantung gown with a beaded, sequin and rhinestone bust. Mod shape with single box pleat down the front of the dress. Fully lined. Rear metal zip and hoo...Category
1960s American Evening Gowns
- Moschino Vintage Gray Beaded Crochet Lace Shift Dress, 1990sBy MoschinoLocated in Sparks, NVVintage 1960s-inspired gray beaded crochet shift dress and matching slip by Moschino. Top layer is sheer if worn without the slip. Details: Slip Liner Side Zip with Hook Clos...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Moschino Vintage 1990s 90s Trompe L'oeil "Woven" Print Body Con DressBy MoschinoLocated in Sparks, NVTight and stretchy Moschino body con dress with a print that looks like woven fabric. Crocheted "M" detail at the bust. Details: Unlined No Closure/ Fabric Contains Stretch M...Category
1990s Italian Casual Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent Silk Beaded Maxi DressBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis is a mid-century gem! This Yves Saint Laurent gown has details upon details. The most remarkable being the intricate beaded creating a pattern around the round neckline and the ...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Maxi Dress
- Moroccan Kaftan in Turquoise and Gold Floral Brocade Metallic LameBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in North Hollywood, CAElegant Moroccan caftan in turquoise and gold floral lame metallic and embroidered trim, circa 1970s. This long maxi dress kaftan is embroidered and embellished entirely by hand. It’...Category
20th Century Moroccan Kaftans$520 Sale Price20% Off
- Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Dress Black White Stripe Wool Silk Vintage 90s 46By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLAuthentic, preowned, vintage Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche dress, circa the 90s. Made from a wool/silk/rayon blend woven fabric, it features button-front styling, a cinched waist a...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent Strapless Dress, Spring 2008By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in New York, NYGrey Yves Saint Laurent strapless dress with tonal stitching throughout and concealed zip closure at back. Seen on the best dressed as Rihanna,Kate Moss ,Gwyneth Paltrow,Julianne Mo...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Day Dresses
- Saint Laurent Periwinkle Belted Shirt Dress SizeBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis vintage Saint Laurent dress is composed of a periwinkle crepe. Features a large collar and cuff sleeves with an elastic waist. Comes with belt. Side zipper closure. Excellent co...Category
20th Century French Cocktail Dresses
- Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Stripe DressBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Los Angeles, CASaint Laurent Rive Gauche Dress Vintage Circa 1980's Made in France Blue, Green, red and white stripe pattern Wide tank style straps Drop waist silhouette Bow in front of dress...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.