Vintage 1994 MOSCHINO COUTURE "WHAM" Patchwork Novelty Dress
About the Item
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kingersheim, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Vintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" DressBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 17.32 inches (40 cm) not stretched Waist: 14.96 inches (36 cm) not stretched Hips: 17.32 inches (41 cm) not stretched Length: 57 inches (104 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic MOSCHINO Cheap and Chic. - Halter neckline with opening at the back. - Print of a lady with apron stating "Maid in Italy" and jeweled shoes...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Colorful Logo Print Pleated Sleeveless DressBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Colorful Logo Print Pleated Sleeveless Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 12.20 in...Category
1980s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO COUTURE Gift Bow Overlay DressBy Moschino Couture, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO COUTURE Gift Bow Overlay Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 14.56 inches (37 cm) Bust: 17.32 inches (44 cm) Waist: 13.77 in...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO Millenium Mood Checklist Maxi DressBy Moschino, Moschino JeansLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO Millenium Mood Checklist Maxi Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 15.75 inches (40 cm) B...Category
Early 2000s Italian Maxi Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO "CARTOON COUTURE" Medallion Trompe L'oeil Belted Black DressBy Moschino Couture, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO "CARTOON COUTURE" Medallion Trompe L'oeil Belted Black Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 17.32 inches (44 cm) Waist: 14....Category
1990s Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO French Menu Novelty DressBy Moschino, Moschino JeansLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO French Menu Novelty Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 18.1...Category
1990s Italian Casual Dresses
- Issey Miyake faux fur vest and skirt ensemble, A/W 2000By Issey MiyakeLocated in London, GB- Vest with emphasised breast panels and wrap design - Blanket wrap skirt with button closures - Faux fur / leatherette suede Autumn-Winter 2000Category
1990s Japanese Evening Dresses and Gowns
- New VERSACE BLACK TULLE and LEATHER DRESS 40 - 4By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE This dress has a tulle bodysuit and leather skirt back zip Silver-tone Medusa hardware Long sleeve Content: 94% nylon, 6% elastane lining: 96% rayon, 4% elastane l...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- Pre-Fall 2019 look # 57 VERSACE MULTI COLOR LOVE PRINT LONG DRESS 38 - 2By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE Love Versace printed dress Meet the dress you'll love to love Constructed from black silk this Versace number is literally named after ...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- S/2019 Look # 43 VERSACE SILK SATIN DRAPED DRESS as seen on Emily 40 - 4By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE Black silk satin draped dress from Versace featuring spaghetti straps, a draped design, a flared style and a side slit. Content: 100% S...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- Geoffrey Beene Purple Wool DressBy Geoffrey BeeneLocated in New Hope, PAClassic Geoffrey Beene purple wool knit dress, fully lined in pink silk, with an early Beene label. The dress has a V shaped neckline, two pockets and a f...Category
1970s American Shift Cocktail Dresses
- 1980S THIERRY MUGLER Black Rayon Blend Crepe Asymmetrically Draped Cocktail DreBy Thierry MuglerLocated in New York, NYTagged a European 36 1980S THIERRY MUGLER Black Rayon Blend Crepe Asymmetrically Draped Cocktail Dress With Sheer Lace Back & SleevesCategory
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery