- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1990s Chanel Collection 18 Black Chiffon Gown with Gold Chain Belt
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: FR 38 (EU)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Toronto, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU228218154262
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
Browse vintage Chanel bags, evening dresses, shoes, jewelry and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Toronto, Canada
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Mid 2000s Chanel Black Boucle Sheer DressBy ChanelLocated in Toronto, OntarioA fun twist on a classic Chanel dress! Mid 20000s Chanel black boucle open knit sheer dress. Sleeveless with a henley neckline and faux flap po...Category
2010s Italian Mini Dress
- 2007 Chanel Bouclé Off-The-Shoulder LBDBy ChanelLocated in Toronto, OntarioTimeless Chanel bouclé off the shoulder fitted bodice dress from the 2007 Cruise collection. V-neck opening enhanced by a similar V opening at the back above the zipper. Chanel black...Category
Early 2000s European Cocktail Dresses
- Autumn 1995 Chanel Magenta Boucle DressBy ChanelLocated in Toronto, OntarioVintage Chanel bright magenta boucle dress from the Autumn 1995 collection. Sleeveless with a v neckline and a very classic straight shape. Detailing a...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- Chanel RTW Autumn 2007 Red and White Wool ShirtdressBy ChanelLocated in Toronto, OntarioChanel shirtdress from the Autumn 2007 runway collection. This dress was look 5/67 on the runway under the glass dome of the Grand Palais, and worn by Behati Prinsloo. Vibrant red wo...Category
Early 2000s French Day Dresses
- Fall 1999 Chanel Black and Cream Felted Wool Maxi DressBy ChanelLocated in Toronto, OntarioBeautiful Chanel black and cream felted wool maxi dress from Fall 1999 collection. The bottom of the dress is cream while the top is black with a curved seam accentuating the waist, ...Category
1990s French Maxi Dress
- Chanel 2004 Spring Celadon and Beige Chiffon Dress and VestBy ChanelLocated in Toronto, OntarioChanel spring 2004 soft taupe and celadon green silk chiffon 2pc cocktail set. Sleeveless raw edged jacket with soft single lapel and self tie a...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Shift Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage Chanel Haute Couture Black Velvet and Shocking Pink Silk Halter GownBy ChanelLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChanel is known to be one of the most luxurious and decadent fashion houses in the world. This breathtaking shocking pink silk and black velvet gown from their iconic 1982 fall-winter haute couture collection, is a perfect example of why this couture brand has stood the test of time. Not only is this opulent creation very rare; it is so timeless and elegant. The chic high halter style bodice is trimmed with the most stunning ruffles. This same ruffle detail is mirrored in the dramatic duel layered skirting. The way the high quality mid-weight silk velvet and vibrant shocking pink silk comes together represent hours of artistic handwork. The hourglass nipped waist with volumeous full skirt skirt silhouette emphasizes a woman's seductive shape without adding any bulk or volume to the actual hips. We added many pictures so you can appreciate this masterful achievement from every angle. You can definitely wear this show stopper to any red carpet event or important gala. A true museum quality iconic gown that you will treasure for years and years to come. Measurements Bust: 33-34 inches Waist: 25 inches Hips: Free Sweep Total Length: 60 inches This gorgeous Chanel haute couture gown...Category
1980s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- A Coco Chanel (attributed to) Tuxedo Satin Skirt Couture Suit - Paris Circa 1933By ChanelLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1933/1934 Paris France A reversible black and iridescent white satin silk Tuxedo skirt and jacket suit. Draped shawl collar, Pagoda wide cuffe...Category
1930s French Skirt Suits
- Christian Dior by John Galliano grey silk trained evening dress, fw 2004By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB• Christian Dior by John Galliano • Bias cut evening dress • Cowl neckline • Front leg slit • Criss-cross belt with palladium Dior buckle • Fabric cov...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Rare Runway Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture Dreamy Diaphanous Diva GownBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Los Angeles, CAHaute Couture Gaultier hooded hourglass evening dress swathed in a 2 tone grey and soft peach silk. Pale grey silk chiffon tails fall lightly against the dress. The look is an ev...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Gowns
- Iconic Museum-worthy GIANNI VERSACE Atelier Long Black DressBy VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXGIANNI VERSACE A BLACK EVENING DRESS IN HEAVY LYCRA NET EFFECT, TULLE AND LACE BODICE WORN BY STEPHANIE SEYMOUR IN AVEDON'S AUTUMN/WINTER CAMPAIGN 1993/94. Was auctioned in 2001 on Sotheby's in NYC. Sotheby's auction item # 598 THIS AMAZING DRESS WAS DESIGNED BY GIANNI VERSACE HIMSELF and CAME FROM HIS PERSONAL ARCHIVE COLLECTION! Versace Atelier Content: 60% lana, 40% nylon Versace's phenomenal long dress makes an unforgettable statement with a striking Swarovski crystal embellished gold buttons and sheer plisse panels. Since it was runway sample it has no size. Approximately size 4. Versace at it's best! Museum worthy...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld pastel tweed mini dress jacket, ss 1996By Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in London, GB▪ Chanel pastel tweed mini dress jacket ▪ Designed by Karl Lagerfeld ▪ Silver buttons with coin style engravings ▪ Nipped waist ▪ Silk lining ▪ Wool and nylon blend tweed ▪ Yell...Category
1990s French Jackets
- CHANEL white 2019 19C LA PAUSA TERRYCLOTH WIDE LEG Pants 38 SBy ChanelLocated in Zürich, CH100% authentic Chanel 2019 La Pausa terrycloth wide leg pants in white cotton (83%) and polyamide (17%), with an elastic waistband in black and gold polyester (70%), latex (25%) and polyamide (5%). Feature two 'CC' buttoned patch pockets on the front. Open with a concealed zipper and a hook on the side. Unlined. Have been worn once and are in virtually new condition. Measurements Model Chanel19C...Category
- Vintage 1992 Gianni Versace Couture Documented Black Bondage Silk Leather GownBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn exceptional and museum quality Gianni Versace black leather, silk & lace heavily sculpted bondage gown dating back to his 1992 fall-winter runway collection. This iconic collection, provocatively titled 'Miss S&M' definitely goes down in history as one of Gianni Versace's most recognizable looks. Versace’s fantasies came to life, fetishistic elements were worked into glamorous eveningwear, and with no small effort: Vogue said, “Getting strapped required eight hands. These high-maintenance looks were meant to be seen, not in a dungeon somewhere, but on the red carpet." As shown, this particular show-stopper of a gown, Look #62, has been worn by the likes of Christy Turlington, Tyra Banks...Category
1990s Italian Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- 1984 Ray Aghayan for Barbra Streisand Custom Klimt Beaded Gold Lame DressBy Ray AghayanLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a gold beaded Ray Aghayan dress custom-made for Barbra Streisand. This fabulous dress is the perfect culmination of the fashion, a...Category
1980s American Evening Gowns$38,200 Sale Price20% Off
- Chanel Embellished Green Sheath Mini DressBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZGet your hands on this rare and unique beauty today! Seriously, try to find this anywhere else! From none other than Karl Lagerfeld designed for the 2008 Spring line. This Chanel sheath mini dress is featured in a cool sage green with luxe brooch embellishments. Don't miss the adorable details of the embellishments like the little sparkly heels...Category
Early 2000s Italian Mini Dresses
- Chanel Cashmere Knit Plane Pins Navy Blue DressBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZKnits aren't what your grandma used to make back in the 80s! This elegant Chanel knitted dress circa 2008 is crafted from navy blue cotton-cashmere-silk blend, with a sailor collar and a chest detail, embellished with gradient-sized silver-toned metal plane pins. We love grandma, but it's best if she leaves the knitting to Chanel. Featuring a knitted style, a ribbed design, a sailor collar, a front zip fastening, a long-sleeve design, a fitted skirt, a short length and three silver plane pins on the chest. Please be mindful that this piece has led a previous life, and may tell its story through minor imperfection. This would be perfect paired with some Christian Dior sneakers...Category
Early 2000s Mini Dress
- Vintage CHANEL BOUTIQUE Logo Zipper Convertible Wool Sweater DressBy ChanelLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHANEL BOUTIQUE Logo Zipper Convertible Wool Sweater Dress Measurements taken laid flat: Bust: 42 inches Waist: 34 inches Hips: 39 inche...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage Chanel Gold Leather Dress 1994By ChanelLocated in Hoffman Estates, ILExtremely rare vintage Chanel Gold leather vest dress with CC Buttons. From the 1994 Fall/Winter collection. Belt sold separately. Specifications: Size 40 Shoulders: 15 inches Bust:...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns$3,800 Sale Price20% Off
- CHANEL Vintage Satin Layer Trim Bow Shift Wool Dress Black FR 40 / US 8By ChanelLocated in Sanford, FLCHANEL - Vintage Satin Layer Trim Bow Shift Wool Dress - Black - Size FR / US 8 Description This dress is crafted in black wool with satin cream layered trim at the neck and wrists...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Day Dresses
- Chanel S/S 2012 pale blue sweater waffle knit oversized backless mini dress 34By ChanelLocated in Paris, FRFrom the Chanel Spring Summer 2012 runway collection (Look 43) Waffle knit sweater dress in ice blue Bateau neckline Oversized three quarter slit cocoon sleeves A fitted waist Criss cross straps to a beautiful low cut back Three oversized silver tone pearlescent buttons to the back of the dress with metal CC's on them Worn by Jessica Biel...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
A Chanel Wicker Handbag Gives Impossibly Chic Picnic Vibes
Only Chanel could elevate humble materials like denim and wicker to icon-level status.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery