Christian Dior by John Galliano floral embroidered silk evening dress, fw 1997
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: FR 36 - UK 8 - US 4 (EU)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU140214815702
John Galliano for Christian Dior
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior. In just eight weeks, Galliano produced 50 looks for Dior Haute Couture’s brilliant Spring/Summer 1997 Maasai collection and would ultimately design a mind-boggling eight collections a year for the storied French fashion house until 2011. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
Shop vintage and contemporary John Galliano for Christian Dior evening dresses and gowns, shoes, handbags and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Gianni Versace grey checked wool pleated pinafore dress, ss 1994By Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GBGianni Versace grey checked wool pinafore dress with box pleated skirt and 10 fabric buttons. Spring-Summer 1994Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Martin Margiela strapless dress and thigh high boots runway ensemble, ss 2008By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GB▪ Rare Martin Margiela runway ensemble ▪ Strapless rayon double-layered dress ▪ Wild horse print ▪ Black leather thigh-high sandal boots ▪ Dress: IT 40 - FR 36 - UK 8 ▪ Boots: Eu...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Geoffrey Beene grey wool jersey maxi dress with brown leather harness, ss 1999By Geoffrey BeeneLocated in London, GBGeoffrey Beene grey wool jersey one seam maxi dress with tubular padded darts around torso and brown leather backless harness. Spring-Summer 1999Category
1990s American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vivienne Westwood 'Cut, Slash & Pull' blue voile oversized shirt dress, ss 1991By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood; dusty blue cotton voile oversized blouse with large bishop sleeves, pointed collar, and ascending hemline from front. Signature slashes throughout the whole blouse...Category
1990s British Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Alexander McQueen lilac wool button-up sweater dress, fw 1996By Alexander McQueenLocated in London, GB▪ Alexander McQueen lilac wool sweater dress ▪ Turtleneck ▪ Opening across bust line fastening with multiple buttons ▪ Pleated seam at centre-back ▪ Worn back to front on the runwa...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- John Galliano grey checked Blanche Dubois bustled coat dress, ss 1988By John GallianoLocated in London, GBJohn Galliano London; grey Prince of Wales check coat dress. Bustled skirt falling in polonaise drapes, gathering into a band at the hem, can be button...Category
1980s British Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Raffia Knit Crochet Nautical DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Raffia Knit Crochet Nautical Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Bust: 14.17 inches (36 cm) w...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Trompe L'Oeil Sheer Tuxedo Print Mesh Maxi DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Trompe L'Oeil Sheer Tuxedo Print Mesh Maxi Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.77 inches (35 cm) not stre...Category
1990s French Maxi Dress
- Vintage ROMEO GIGLI Ecru Lace with Wide Belt Long Formal DressBy Romeo GigliLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage ROMEO GIGLI Ecru Lace with Wide Belt Long Formal Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 12.60 i...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Bridesmaids Dresses
- Vintage THIERRY MUGLER Jeweled Cut Out Neckline DressBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage THIERRY MUGLER Jeweled Cut Out Neckline Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 15.35 inches (39 cm...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- NEW Missoni Signature Chevron ZigZag Crochet Knit Dress with Leather Belt 42By MissoniLocated in Switzerland, CHBeautiful MISSONI dress MISSONI Main line Signature MISSONI chevron signature knit Simply slips on Crochet-knit details - so beautiful! Dry Clean only Made in Italy Size 42 Comes wit...Category
2010s Evening Dresses$499 Sale Price70% Off
- NEW Missoni Signature Chevron Zigzag Knit Wrap Style Dress 40By MissoniLocated in Switzerland, CHBeautiful multicolor shades Classic MISSONI signature zigzag knit Simply slips on Wrap style Dry Clean only Made in Italy Size 40 Unworn Please refer to celebrity and AD / runway pi...Category
2010s Italian Informal Dresses$899 Sale Price40% Off
- 20th Century Luigi Massoni Poltrona Frau Dilly Dally Vanity Dressing Table, 60sBy Poltrona Frau, Luigi MassoniLocated in Turin, TurinDressing table model Dilly Dally designed by Luigi Massoni for Poltrona Frau in 1960s. The dressing table is composed of two pieces, one round armchair (which alone measures 70 x 65 x 60 cm) and the table itself with space for accessories and a round mirror. It has a wooden structure with faux leather upholstery, chrome metal, mirrored crystal and Abs. The upholstery is completely restored in light brown faux leather and in good condition. The two pieces can be easily moved thanks to wheels. Presence of the original brand mark as shown in photos. Published in: - Domus n. 466, settembre 1968; - Domus n. 488, luglio 1970, p. 40; - G. Gramigna, Repertorio del design italiano...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
Faux Leather, Mirror
- Vintage Rare 1970's Tura Double Rim Brown Lenses Sunglasses Made in JapanBy Aldo TuraLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandRare Vintage Tura oversized sunglasses circa 1970's by Tura. This is a seldom and rare piece not only for its aesthetic value but for its importance in the sunglasses and fashion ...Category
1970s French Sunglasses
- Antique Set of (6) French Botanicals from a Monastery School that Opened in 1892Located in Chicago, ILAntique set of (6) French pressed botanicals dating from the late 1800's to the early 1900's (larger and smaller sets are available through 1stdibs). Our extensive collection of antique French pressed botanicals came out of a monastery school that opened in 1892. When the school closed, we were fortunate enough to be able to acquire their entire collection of antique French botanicals, along with their mineral collection...Category
Antique Early 1900s French Country Natural SpecimensMaterials
- Josef Frank for Svenskt Tenn Early Edition 'Flora' CabinetBy Josef Frank, Svenskt TennLocated in Waalwijk, NLJosef Frank for Svenskt Tenn, cabinet ‘Flora’, early edition model 852, mahogany, oak, hand-colored paper, Sweden, designed circa 1937/38, produced 1946/47s. This cabinet follows Frank’s idea to design the surfaces of cabinets in a different, uncommon way. In the early 1930s Frank began to cover cubic cabinets...Category
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern CabinetsMaterials
Paper, Mahogany, Oak
- Exclusive And Iconic Beetle Brooch in 18 Karat Yellow Gold And Ebony WoodBy Eva SoussanaLocated in Paris, FREva Soussana and her partner the "Atelier Franck Mico", are proud to introduce to you the "Helmet" Beetle, an exclusive and iconic piece created by Eva Soussana and Franck Mico, manu...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Artist BroochesMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$42,404Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
Vivienne Westwood’s Punk Spirit Lives On in This ’90s Tartan Ensemble
The shorts suit in a mash-up of patterns with an asymmetrical cut speaks to the designer’s rebellious spirit.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery