NWT 1970s Halston IV Purple / Pink One Size Fits All Vintage 70s Maxi Dress
About the Item
Recognized for the understated but wholly glamorous fashions he introduced in the 1970s, and revered today for his vintage dresses, sunglasses, handbags and other enduring designs, Roy Halston Frowick defined the spare, body-conscious style of the so-called Studio 54 era. In doing so, he became a legend himself, known simply as Halston, a lean moniker that represented the visionary minimalist ideals he would inject into the world of fashion.
Born in Des Moines, Iowa — but raised in Evansville, Indiana — Halston moved to Chicago in 1952, where he worked as a window dresser by day and studied at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago at night. In the late 1950s, he moved to New York City. As the hat designer for Bergdorf Goodman, he had his first encounter with fame in 1961 when Jackie Kennedy wore a pillbox hat he designed to President John F. Kennedy’s inauguration. Less than a decade later, after hats fell out of fashion and sales plummeted, Halston launched his own ready-to-wear line and opened a Madison Avenue boutique.
One of Halston’s early successes was the sexy Ultrasuede shirtdress, an unassuming adaptation of a man’s oxford shirt introduced in 1972 that became a fashion staple for the well-dressed woman. Named for a washable synthetic fabric that evokes the feel of suede — Halston is said to have previously seen innovative designer Issey Miyake wearing the material — the Ultrasuede shirtdress was cut to complement many figures with buttons that began at the breastbone rather than at the garment’s structured neckline. In one season, 60,000 were sold. Ultrasuede became a Halston signature, and he would use the fabric in coats, luggage and other items.
But it was his seductively simple nightlife designs that made Halston an international name. Often cut on the bias or sewn with single seams, his garments were constructed to flatter the female form like no evening gowns that had come before, popularizing such styles as the halter dress. “Halston brought a spark of the divine to everything he did,” said model Pat Cleveland during an interview about the 2021 Netflix series based on his life.
And, for a while, the designer was as ubiquitous in the clubs as his designs. “For two decades, [Halston] was the king of New York nightlife,” wrote Steven Gaines in Vanity Fair. He was a regular at Studio 54, partying with the likes of Andy Warhol, Bianca Jagger, Liza Minnelli and his Halstonettes, his coterie of glamorous models and muses that included Elsa Peretti. The close friend and collaborator of Halston’s transformed diamond jewelry for Tiffany & Co. after signing a contract with the storied American luxury house in 1974.
Halston won four Coty American Fashion Critics' Awards over the course of his career. In 1973, he sold his company to Norton Simon, and in the early 1980s, it switched ownership again. By 1984, neither his name nor his company were his own. Halston continued to work, however. He collaborated with close friend and legendary choreographer Martha Graham, designing critically acclaimed costumes for her, including for her dance work Persephone in 1987. Halston died of complications from AIDS in 1990.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Diego, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- 1970s Holly's Harp China Stencil Buttons Hand Painted Cold Shoulder Silk DressBy Holly HarpLocated in San Diego, CARare 70s HOLLY'S HARP purple hand painted boho cold shoulder dress ! Features a beautiful medium shade of purple. Hand painted tress, leaves and rainbows throughout. Vibrant colors o...Category
1970s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1960s Moe Nathan New York Purple Striped Silk Long Sleeve Vintage 60s DressLocated in San Diego, CAChic Avant Garde MOE NATHAN New York purple striped silk long sleeve dress ! Origami collar features snap details. Full metal zipper up the back with hook-a...Category
1960s American Cocktail Dresses
- Michael Kors Collection Size 2 / 4 Purple + Black Color Block Sleeveles DressBy Michael KorsLocated in San Diego, CAWonderful mid 2000s $1,850 MICHAEL KORS COLLECTION black and purple color block sleeveless A -Line / Skater dress! Features a tailored bodice with a full skirt. Hidden zipper up the ...Category
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses
- 1980s Diane Freis Purple Regal Flowers and Jewels Printed Long Sleeve 80s DressBy Diane FreisLocated in San Diego, CAChic 1980s DIANE FREIS purple flower and jewel printed long sleeve midi dress ! Features a beautiful purple background color with flowers ( maybe hibiscus ) in pink, with jewel print...Category
1980s Hong Kong Cocktail Dresses
- Oscar de la Renta 1990s Size 8 Blue + White Tie Dye Vintage Sleeveless 90s DressBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in San Diego, CAChic 1990s OSCAR DE LA RENTA blue and white tie dye print patchwork Size 8 cotton dress! Features a blue and white tie dye with an array of shades of blue throughout. Tiered fitted b...Category
1990s American Cocktail Dresses
- New Christopher Kane Long Sleeve Bodycon Flower Print Purple + Blue Stripe DressBy Christopher KaneLocated in San Diego, CANew CHRISTOPHER KANE long sleeve bodycon flower / striped print dress! Features a grey / brown background with dark purple vertical stripes. Vibrant colored flowers in purple, blue and green printed throughout. Soft viscose (94%) and elastane (6%) stretches to fit. Simply slips over the head. Great belted or alone, day or evening. The pictured black and gold vintage...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Oscar de la Renta Blue and White Plaid Check Ribbon Weave Silk DressBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in San Francisco, CAOscar de la Renta silk pencil cut dress in an amazing blue and white abstract check ribbon weave. Back zip and hook and eye. Oscar de la Renta signature print lining. 57% cotton, 43...Category
2010s American Sheath Dresses
- Gianni Versace Purple 1990s Dress with Origami HemBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous light weight purple wool dress by Gianni Versace. It is semi fitted with a stand up collar and long sleeves. The hem has intricate layers folds at angles front and back....Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent Satin Dress by Stefano Pilati, 2008 CollectionBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Toulon, FRSpring Summer 2008 Collection France Yves Saint Laurent sleeveless dress in amethyst silk satin. Spring Summer 2008 collection by Stéfano Pilati. Variation passage no. 14. Round neckline underlined by flat pleats with draping effect all along the dress. Label white background black graphic Yves Saint Laurent Made in...Category
Early 2000s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- NEW Emilio Pucci by Peter Dundas Silk Lace & Leather Cocktail Evening Dress 42By Emilio Pucci, Peter DundasLocated in Switzerland, CHGorgeous dress by Peter Dundas designed for Emilio Pucci Special piece in black and blue colors Extraordinary material combination Finest silk combined with softest lambskin glove le...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- New Jean Paul Gaultier Femme Blue Trench Coat Maxi DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in San Francisco, CAJean Paul Gaultier Femme blue maxi dress with trench coat detailing. Thin straps can be unsnapped at back to create a criss-cross or halter style. Bu...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Maxi Dresses
- 1970S ROLAND's OF ROME Pink & Black Silk Jersey Pucci Leonard Style Long SleevLocated in New York, NY1970S ROLAND's OF ROME Pink & Black Silk Jersey Pucci Leonard Style Long Sleeve DressCategory
1970s Italian Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
Behind the 1970s and ’80s Glam of ‘Halston’ with the Hit Show’s Costume Designer
Jeriana San Juan explains how she undertook the intimidating project of designing costumes for the new Netflix series about the New York fashion legend. (Hint: She found vintage Halston on 1stDibs!)
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?