Yves Saint Laurent Couture Evening Dress Owned by Claudette Colbert, 1963
View Similar Items
Yves Saint Laurent Couture Evening Dress Owned by Claudette Colbert, 1963
About the Manufacturer
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- Michaele Vollbracht Designer Print Silk Two Piece SetBy Michaele VollbrachtLocated in Houston, TXThis 1980's classic print Michael Vollbracht, is a two piece ensemble made of silk and crepe. Wear it together or wear the pieces separately as each piece is beautiful "stand alone"...Category
1980s American Suits, Outfits and EnsemblesUnavailable$595
- 1990s Alaia Indigo and Brown Suede Sarong Wrap SkirtBy Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Houston, TXFabulous curve-hugging suede pencil skirt by Alaia! The skirt is primarily indigo suede, with brown suede casually draped over the hips and gathered at the waist with a bronze - ton...Category
1990s French Pencil SkirtsUnavailable$570
- 1970s Giera Patritti Plisse Silk Multi - Tier Floral Skirt - ItalyLocated in Houston, TXAbsolutely gorgeous, voluminous silk skirt! The skirt falls below the knee, and has an A - Line silhouette with three tiers, each tier features the same colorful red, pink, yellow, a...Category
1970s Italian Skirts
- 1970's Embroidered Indian Skirt with Mirror Sequin DetailsLocated in Houston, TXBright red, yellow, and blue skirt with organic petal-like embroidery. The skirt is voluminous and features mirror work sequins as part of the embroidery. Dress it up or dress it do...Category
1970s Indian Circle SkirtsUnavailable$325
- 1970s Jean Patou by Jean Paul Gaultier Silk Brocade Evening Maxi DressBy Jean PatouLocated in Houston, TXThis impeccable dress features a fiery paisley brocade design through out and a belt to match! The fabric around its cinched waist opens to a full skirt with graceful pleating. Th...Category
1960s French Evening DressesUnavailable$2,450
- 1960s Rodrigues Vibrant Multi Color Print DressBy RodriguesLocated in Houston, TX1960's Rodrigues vibrant multi-color print dress with blouson sleeves. This lightweight dress has an silk embroidered stripe throughout this perfectly whimsical dress. The dress also...Category
1960s American Day DressesUnavailable$400
- Vintage Chanel Haute Couture Ivory Lesage Embroidered Silk Bridal Gown & JacketBy ChanelLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChanel is known to be one of the most luxurious and decadent fashion houses in the world. This breathtaking fully-embroidered ivory silk gown with matching jacket, from their iconic ...Category
1980s French Wedding Dresses
- A Christian Dior Lace Couture Gown Collection Ligne Oblique (?) Circa 1950By Christian DiorLocated in Toulon, FRLigne Oblique Collection (?) Circa 1948/1950 Paris France A Collectible Calais black lace cocktail or ceremonial dress by Christian Dior. Black and white transparency effect obtaine...Category
1950s French Evening Gowns$18,546Free Shipping
- Gabrielle Chanel couture black silk beaded flapper dress, c. 1924 - 1926By ChanelLocated in London, GBGabrielle Chanel couture black silk flapper dress comprising two shifts with glass beaded hanging strands around shoulders and skirt. Classic 1920s style with drop waist. c. 1924-...Category
1920s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the Cit...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- MADELEINE VIONNET c.1924 “Little Horses” Soft Green Glass Beaded Flapper DressBy Madeleine VionnetLocated in Thiensville, WIMADELEINE VIONNET c.1924 “Little Horses” Soft Green White Glass Beaded Flapper Dress Circa: 1924 Designer: Madeleine Vionnet Style: Flapper drop waist dress Color(s): Shades of green...Category
1920s Evening Dresses$12,536 Sale Price40% Off
- 1980s Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Vintage Quilted Metallic Gold Pencil SkirtBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Sparks, NVVintage 1980s metallic gold quilted pencil skirt by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche. Fully lined with side zip and hook closure and pockets. The marked size is 38, and the skirt fits ...Category
1980s French Pencil Skirts
- Yves St Laurent Color Block Mermaid SkirtBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous mermaid style color block skirt from Yves St Laurent, YSL Rive Gauche. It consist of olive green, black and lavender panels wrapping around the skirt flaring at the heml...Category
Early 2000s Italian Skirts
- Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent YSL S/S 2003 SkirtBy Yves Saint Laurent, Tom FordLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous lavender silk skirt by Tom Ford for Yves St Laurent, YSL S/S 2003 Collection. A large intricately detailed ruffle draped flower adorns most of the front skirt with a seri...Category
Early 2000s French Skirts
- Comme des Garcons Parachute Skirt AD 1990By Comme des GarçonsLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous rusty brown colored parachute skirt from Comme des Garcons, CDG AD 1990 collection. I the skirt is full comprised of draped, asymmetric, overlapping layers with pointed he...Category
1990s Japanese Skirts
- Gianni Versace Silk Skirt 1990sBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous colorful silk skirt by Gianni Versace in a pattern of abstract shapes and flowers. It is pencil style with a waistband and button closing, side zipper and silk lining. F...Category
1990s Italian Pencil Skirts
- Dolce & Gabbana New Silk SkirtBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful copper brown stretch silk pencil skirt from Dolce & Gabbana. It has a waist band plus fabulous seaming and darts radiating from a center front panel. It is lined in same...Category
2010s Italian Pencil Skirts
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.