- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
A Chanel - Karl Lagerfeld Red Mohair Wool Jacket Circa 1995-2000
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: Equivalent french 42-44 size (EU)
- Style:1995-2000 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Very Good Condition and Color.
- Seller Location:Toulon, FR
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU633317854872
Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel
More than a mere tastemaker, Karl Lagerfeld devoted himself to the continual pursuit of chic. “My life and my job,” the designer once said, “is to forget myself.” From his first collection at Chanel — after joining the brand in the early 1980s — he injected the venerable house with a frisson of modernity. Vintage Karl Lagerfeld designs for Chanel handbags, evening dresses, coats, jewelry and other clothing and accessories riffed on its iconography — tweed skirt suits, pearls, camellias — accenting a lexicon of Chanel-isms with tastes of the moment.
During his five-decade career as a designer for Chanel, Fendi, Chloé and many others, Lagerfeld was a quintessential chameleon, ever evolving to embody the times. An outsize, instantly recognizable personality — his ponytail powdered like an 18th-century viscount, his eyes perpetually shielded by dark glasses, wearing fistfuls of chunky silver jewels — Lagerfeld was, above all, an avatar of style.
Born in Hamburg (in 1933, ’35, or ’38 by varying accounts), Karl Lagerfeld packed his bags for Paris in 1954. His design for a coat won him the International Wool Secretariat and landed him a job with the celebrated couturier Pierre Balmain. He went on to become the designer of Jean Patou, eventually realizing that his seemingly endless ideas could fuel a career as a designer-for-hire. As such, Lagerfeld lent his vision to everyone from Loewe and Max Mara to Krizia and Charles Jourdan, nimbly moving among a diverse range of styles. It was an unprecedented way of working in the days when freelance was still a dirty word. During the late ’60s and ’70s, he refashioned Chloé to reflect the free spirit of the day and, beginning in 1965, joined forces with the Fendi family, taking it from sleepy furrier to fashion’s haute-est stratum.
Because of his track record for reviving and reimagining brands that had grown stagnant, in 1984 Lagerfeld was handed the reins at Chanel, which had been gathering dust since its founder’s heyday. Lagerfeld’s collections for the brand displayed his knack for synthesizing old and new, high and low. From Watteau (Spring/Summer 1985 couture) and Serge Roche (Spring/Summer 1990 ready-to-wear) to hip-hop fly girls (Fall/Winter 1991 ready-to-wear), surfers (Spring/Summer 2003 ready-to-wear) and ancient Egypt (Pre-Fall 2019), Lagerfeld used each season’s inspiration to conceive Chanel’s signatures anew. And despite producing eight collections a year for Chanel, as well as four to five for Fendi, Lagerfeld never faltered in proposing new ideas each time he put pencil to paper.
Find vintage Karl Lagerfeld Chanel day dresses, jackets, shoes and more on 1stDibs.
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
Browse vintage Chanel bags, evening dresses, shoes, jewelry and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Toulon, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- A Black and silver Lanvin jacket - Circa 1980By Jeanne LanvinLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1980 France Jacket in black acetate printed with silver pellets. Raglan cut with wide sleeves tightened at the wrists. Mao collar and two pockets...Category
1980s French Domino Jackets$718Free Shipping
- A Peach Velvet Evening Bolero Lanvin Style Circa 1930/1940Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1930/1940 France Evening bolero in iridescent velvet with a peach skin effect dating from the 1930s / 1940s, in the same style as Jeanne Lan...Category
1930s French Visite Jackets$994Free Shipping
- Orientalist Evening Fancy Jacket in Embroidered Sequin and Silk Satin Circa 1940Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1940 France Beautiful orientalist Fancy evening jacket or costume dating from the 1940s / 1950s. Yellow-green silk satin embroidered with golden sequins and appliqués of cords...Category
1940s French Visite Jackets
- Woolen knitted coat by Jeanne Lanvin Haute Couture N° 44070 - Paris Summer 1934By Jeanne LanvinLocated in Toulon, FRSummer 1934 Collection France Haute Couture afternoon coat by Jeanne Lanvin in absinthe green mottled wool knit underlined by an orange scarf, integrated into the neckline. Straigh...Category
1930s French Coats
- A French Leonard Couture Printed Silk Jacket Circa 1980/1990By LeonardLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1980/1990 France Elegant jacket in printed silk with abstract plaid patterns in red, blue, green, yellow, orange and pink tones on a white background by Leonardo from the 1980...Category
1980s French Dinner Jackets$685Free Shipping
- Chinese green satin evening coat Bronze with chrysanthemums - Europe Circa 1940Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1940 Europe for the cut China for the satin Elegant evening or interior dress in bronze green satin embroidered with large chrysanthemums in sky blue, pale pink and cream dati...Category
1940s French Mantle Coats
- Chanel Vintage Fall 1994 Claudia Ecru Black Gold Tweed 94A JacketBy ChanelLocated in Jersey City, NJRare and the most wanted tweed jacket from Chanel Fall 1994 collection by Karl Lagerfeld. As seen on Claudia Schiffer.Such an iconic piece, quintes...Category
1990s European Blazers
- CHANEL Boutique Pink Double Breasted Jacket Fuchsia Pink Size: 36By Chanel, Chanel BoutiqueLocated in North Hollywood, CACHANEL Boutique Vintage tailored pink jacket with vivid color fuchsia. Vintage hard to find Chanel fuchsia boucle wool jacket from Fall 1995 collection. Elegant spring happy Chanel fuchsia double breasted wool Jacket with "CC" Buttons. This beautiful stylish jacket is a double breasted with etched "CC" buttons. This joyful CHANEL tweed jacket is in excellent vintage condition. The double breasted jacket is featuring four front buttons...Category
Late 20th Century French Double-Breasted Jackets
- F/W 1997 Christian Dior John Galliano Runway Pink Fringe Jacket & Mini SkirtBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: F/W 1997 Christian Dior by John Galliano Runway Ensemble- necklace is sold and NOT included CONDITION: Good- faint mark at hem of jacket- please see photo MATERIAL: Wool li...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- Chanel Vintage Spring 1995 Ivory Ecru Black Tweed Braided CC 95P JacketBy ChanelLocated in Jersey City, NJThe most wanted ecru jacket from Chanel Spring/Summer 1995 collection. In 1995, Karl Lagerfeld presented his legendary "Barbie" collection; an ode to exclusivity and class that prope...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Black Chanel Suit With Scoubidou Braid SS 1994By Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in London, GBKarl Largerfeld’s playful take on the iconic Chanel Black suit which always remains one of the icons of the house. The suit is made from the classic black boucle but is given a fun twist with Scoubidou braid (inspired by the fad of the late 1950s) and finished with white buttons to the cuff bearing the House logo. Vintage designer suits...Category
20th Century Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Chanel Navy Boutique Double-Breasted JacketBy ChanelLocated in New York, NYProduct Details: Vintage navy double-breasted jacket by Chanel Boutique. Notched collar. Dual patch pockets at hips. Gold-tone button closures at front. Designer size 36. 33" bust, 1...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Double-Breasted Jackets
- Amazing CHANEL Aubergine Signature Tweed Jacket Blazer 42By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHBeautiful CHANEL tweed jacket A true CHANEL signature item that will last you for many years Fitted style, beautifully tailored Two side pockets - still unopened Wonderful color - p...Category
2010s Jackets$2,799 Sale Price20% Off
- Chanel Chain Trim Boucle Tweed Blazer JacketBy ChanelLocated in London, GBChanel Chain Trim Boucle Tweed Blazer - Light weight woven body - Silver and beige thread details - Pocket flaps with thread trims - Button stand - Fully lined with silk ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Jackets
- Vintage beige-pink boucle wool jacketBy ChanelLocated in London, GBChanel vintage beige-pink boucle wool jacket - Vintage item circa early 80's - Soft, fluffy boucle wool weave, in a pinky-beige hue with coloured fl...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Jackets
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- F/W 1994 Chanel Documented Runway Black & White Faux Fur Cropped JacketBy Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: F/W 1994 Chanel runway CONDITION: Good- No holes or stains! FABRIC: faux fur COUNTRY MADE: France SIZE: 38 MEASUREMENTS; provided as a courtesy only- not a guarantee of fi...Category
1990s French Coats
- S/S 1996 Chanel Pink Plaid Gingham Wool Vintage Runway VestBy Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in Concord, NCChanel vintage pink and white gingham plaid wool vest as seen on Shalom Harlow on the Spring Summer 1996 runway Featuring pink CC buttons, four pocke...Category
1990s French Vests
- Chanel 1991 Pink Wool and Denim Skirt SetBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZTweed and denim is a pair you didn't know you needed! From Chanel's 2001 fall/winter collection this is a skirt and blazer set from the iconic Chanel featuring a mid-length, beautifu...Category
1990s French Blazers
- Chanel Identification 2000's JacketBy Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in New York, NYCHANEL Identification Front Zip Jacket From the Transitional 2000 Collection by Karl Lagerfeld. Featuring all-around stitching for a quilted l...Category
Early 2000s Jackets
- Vintage Chanel Pink and Metallic Blazer, Cruise 2001 CollectionBy Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in New York, NYChanel blazer from the Cruise 2001 collection by Karl Lagerfeld Metallic & Pink color, tweed Pattern, pointed collar, slit Pockets & button closure F...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Blazers
- Chanel Vintage Beige Button Boutique Blazer, 1980sBy Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in New York, NYChanel Boutique vintage blazer with pointed collar, patch pockets and button closure. Period: 1980s Fabric: Not listed, feels like wool blend Size: 34...Category
20th Century French Blazers
Recently ViewedView More
How the Chanel Jacket Forever Changed What Women Wear
The classic tweed garment has been a wardrobe staple of chic women around the world since the 1950s.
Remembering Fashion Designer, Collector and Supreme Tastemaker Karl Lagerfeld
The creative force behind brands like Chanel, Fendi and Chloé was as exacting in his interiors as he was in his clothing designs.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery