- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Christian Dior by John Galliano red croc-embossed lambskin leather coat, fw 2005
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: FR 40 - UK 12 - US 8 (EU)
- Place of Origin:France
- Seller Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU140214208392
John Galliano for Christian Dior
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior. In just eight weeks, Galliano produced 50 looks for Dior Haute Couture’s brilliant Spring/Summer 1997 Maasai collection and would ultimately design a mind-boggling eight collections a year for the storied French fashion house until 2011. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
Shop vintage and contemporary John Galliano for Christian Dior evening dresses and gowns, shoes, handbags and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- John Galliano brown leather twisted off-shoulder jacket, fw 2000By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano brown leather jacket ▪ Off-shoulder ▪ Bias cut panels ▪ Front button closure ▪ Asymmetric hemline ▪ FR 42 - UK 14 - US 8 ▪ Fall-Winter 2000Category
Early 2000s French Jackets
- Christian Dior by John Galliano lizard skin blazer jacket, fw 2002By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior lizard skin blazer jacket ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ 100% Lizard ▪ Notched lapel ▪ Two front flap pockets ▪ FR 40 - UK 12 -...Category
Early 2000s French Coats and Outerwear
- Vivienne Westwood black velvet and sheepskin double breasted coat, fw 1992By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood black velvet double-breasted coat ▪ Sheepskin collar and cuffs ▪ Large perspex buttons with incased metal orbs ▪ Shorter back ▪ Two side pockets ▪ UK 12 - Med...Category
1990s British Coats and Outerwear
- Gucci by Tom Ford aqua blue fox fur coat, fw 1997By Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in London, GB▪ Gucci iconic aqua blue fox fur 'chubby' coat ▪ Designed by Tom Ford ▪ Oversized fit ▪ Open front ▪ Two open pockets to the front ▪ Gucci monogram jacquard lining ▪ IT 40 - FR 36...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- Martin Margiela giant fluorescent lime goat hair padded tube gilet, fw 2007By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GB▪ Archive Martin Margiela oversized padded gilet ▪ Fluorescent lime goat hair ▪ Doughnut shape ▪ Backless ▪ Polyester padding ▪ Size Small ▪ Fall...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- Christian Dior by John Galliano embroidered metallic brocade jacket, fw 2002By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior rare showpiece evening jacket ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Constructed from metallic gold silk brocade ▪ Chartreuse silk trim with...Category
Early 2000s French Jackets
- UNWORN Chanel Brown Lambskin Suede Fur Shearling Outwear Jacket 34By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHAmazing CHANELreal fur leather shearling jacket A true CHANEL signature item that will last you for many years Fitted style So versatile, wea...Category
Late 20th Century Jackets$2,999 Sale Price50% Off
- Ann Demeulemeester Fabulous Tuxedo Tail Jacket 40By Ann DemeulemeesterLocated in Port Hope, ONMade of virgin wool and lined , this is a spectacular piece by the Belgian designer. Some of the details are: slightly bell shaped sleeves with four buttons on each side; a discreet...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Belgian Tuxedo Jackets$507 Sale Price40% Off
- Akris for Bergdorf Goodman Vintage Dark Blue Velvet Zip Front Jacket, 1990sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireA chic vintage womens jacket from the 90s by luxury Swiss fashion house, Akris for high end department store, Bergdorf Goodman. In a deep midnight blue velvet, highlighted with beaut...Category
- Gianni Versace Vintage 1980s Black Suede JacketBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireA fabulous vintage womens Gianni Versace womens suede jacket from the 80s. This wide sleeved jacket is a great example of Gianni's earlier work wh...Category
1980s Italian Coats
- Castelbajac Ko & Co Vintage Black Wool Avant Garde Color Block Coat, 1980sBy JC DE CASTELBAJAC, CastelbajacLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible and rare vintage womens overcoat from the early 80s by luxury French fashion designer, JC De Castelbajac. This coat is an earlier design in Castelbajac's career - for h...Category
- Valentino Vintage Mens Navy CoatBy ValentinoLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn amazing and rare vintage Valentino mens coat from the 90s in a navy blue wool and cashmere fabric with four excellent utility style pockets, a drawstring on the interior that pulls in the waist for a trimmer silhouette and a high funnel neck that conceals a waterproof hood. Size: Marked IT 52 / US 42 which equates to a mens XL but this gives a relaxed fit. Chest - 50” / 132cm (alllow 4-6" room for movement) Waist - 48” / 122cm Hips - 52” / 132cm Length (Shoulder to Hem) - 29” / 73cm Shoulder to Shoulder - 20” / 51cm Sleeve Pit to Cuff - 19” / 48cm Sleeve Shoulder to Cuff - 26” / 66cm Condition: Excellent Vintage Condition - Tiny nick to top layer of back, not noticeable when worn. No noticeable stains, tears or holes. - Front zip fastening with poppers to secure - Four front pockets - Gruppo Gft...Category
1990s Italian Coats
- Isamu Kenmochi Coffee TableBy Isamu KenmochiLocated in San Francisco, CAA coffee table by Isamu Kenmochi in bent Brazilian rosewood with curved legs. Signed with applied manufacturer's label to underside: [Tendo]. Literature: Japanese Modern, Mori, pg. 143.Category
Vintage 1960s Japanese Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
RosewoodPrice Upon Request
- Hermes Birkin 30 Orange Crocodile Bag Palladium HardwareBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers a Niloticus Crocodile Hermes Birkin 30 bag featured in Orange. Fresh palladium hardware accentuates this gorgeous orange crocodile H...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- 21st Century Le Nuvole Sofà White S. Giobbi for Giovannetti CollezioniLocated in Casalguidi, ITSeat and backrest with wooden structure in multilayers and stell- Seat and backrest padding in polyurethane foam of different layers covered with tissue and synthetic fiber for bette...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
- GLASS SHELVES #1 '1976', by Shiro Kuramata for Glas ItaliaBy Glas Italia, Shiro KuramataLocated in Macherio, ITGlass Shelves #1 (1976) Shelves is shown here in the transparent glass. Bookcase characterised by the extraordinary formal cleanness and the golden proportions, entirely realized in ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Vintage Solitaire Cushion Shape Old Mine Diamond Ring, French, circa 1950Located in London, GBVintage solitaire cushion shape old mine diamond ring. Set with one central cushion shape old mine diamond, M colour, VS2 clarity, with an approximate weight of 3.01 carats, in an op...Category
Vintage 1950s French Solitaire RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Gold, Yellow Gold$46,282Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
Vivienne Westwood’s Punk Spirit Lives On in This ’90s Tartan Ensemble
The shorts suit in a mash-up of patterns with an asymmetrical cut speaks to the designer’s rebellious spirit.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery