Iconic Moschino Vintage 90s Pop Art Blazer Jacket with Lucky 13, Horseshoe + Cat
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 23 in (58.42 cm)Marked Size: I 44/ D 40/ F 40/ GB 12/ USA 10 (EU)Bust: 34 in (86.36 cm)Waist: 29 in (73.66 cm)
- Style:Vivienne Westwood (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Sparks, NV
- Reference Number:Seller: 1D-17491stDibs: LU3862354013
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sparks, NV
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Bill Blass for Maurice Rentner 1960s Wool Plaid Jacket + Skirt Suit EnsembleBy Bill Blass for Maurice RentnerLocated in Sparks, NVVibrant plaid jacket and skirt set by Bill Blass for Maurice Rentner. Gold buttons and chain detail. Pleated skirt. Details: Fully Lined Front Snap Closure On Jacket/ Side Hoo...Category
1960s American Skirt Suits
- Don Simonelli Vintage Neutral Minimalist Linen Coat and SashBy Don SimonelliLocated in Sparks, NVChic minimalist two tone light weight coat with matching sash by Don Simonelli. Details: Fully Lined Front Pockets Tie at Waist Closure Estimated Size: Small-Medium Color:...Category
1970s American Jackets
- Moschino Couture! Vintage 1990s 90s Cream Blazer or Suit JacketBy Moschino Couture, MoschinoLocated in Sparks, NVGorgeous cream jacket with unique buttons and front pockets. By Moschino Couture! Details: Fully Lined Front Pockets Shoulder Pads Sewn Into Lining Front Button Closure/ Bu...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Cropped Jackets
- 1940s Vintage Asymmetric Beige Silk 2-Piece Jacket + Skirt Women's Suit EnsembleLocated in Sparks, NVAsymmetric beige silk women's suit from the 1940s. The skirt is unlined with side metal zip and hook closure. 100% silk. Fits like a size small. The waist m...Category
1940s American Skirt Suits
- Alessandro Dell'acqua Black Avant Garde Blazer JacketBy Alessandro Dell'AcquaLocated in Sparks, NVUnique black avant garde blazer jacket by Alessandro Dell'acqua. Unlined with front hook closure. Front patch pockets. 100% cotton. Marked size 40; fits like a size small. The bust m...Category
2010s Italian Blazers
- 2003 Yves Saint Laurent by Tom Ford Pink Ruffle Jacket + Skirt Suit Ensemble YSLBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Tom Ford for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Sparks, NVIconic and collectible 2003 Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pink jacket and skirt ensemble with asymmetric ruffle. The skirt is fully lined with front button, buckle and ...Category
Early 2000s French Blazers
- UNWORN Classy Chanel Caramel Fantasy Tweed Jacket Blazer Skirt Business Suit 38By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHA true CHANEL signature suit hat will last you for many years So versatile - perfect business suit for day, vamp it up at night Beautiful caramel tweed f...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Skirt Suits
- Chanel Beige Double Pocket Hook Front Unlined Jacket 02ABy ChanelLocated in West Palm Beach, FLChanel Beige Double Pocket Hook Front Unlined Jacket 02A. Great jacket to to pair with jeans or anything casual. This jacket closes at the front wi...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Jackets
- Margaretha Ley Escada Blue & Yellow Woven Silk & Wool Blend Skirt & Jacket SuitBy Escada Margaretha LeyLocated in Portland, ORThis is such a lovely vintage 2 piece woven silk and wool skirt suit with the Margaretha Ley Escada label. The fabric is so beautiful and makes a...Category
1990s German Skirt Suits
- JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Vintage Beige Denim Lace Back Peplum Jacket Size 46By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Nice, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior vintage beige denim peplum jacket laced in the back This jacket features : - Beige denim fabric. - Sailor collar. - Front but...Category
20th Century Italian Jackets
- St John Evening Jacket Embellished Knit Gold Black White Zip Front Vintage Sz 10Located in Port Saint Lucie, FLAuthentic, preowned, vintage St John Evening Jacket, likely made in the 90s. Made from their signature Santana knit in black, this box-cut jack...Category
1990s American Jackets
- Roberto Cavalli Multicolor Printed Silk and Beige Suede Overlay Sleeveless VestBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Lend a modern take on fashion with this excellent Roberto Cavalli vest. If your style is lively and feminine, then this vest with suede overlay is an ideal pick for you. Score extra ...Category
2010s Italian Jackets